Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 09:52 PM

35 posts, read 72,120 times

Advertisements

Looking for some feedback on the entire tax assessment process. I filed on my own last yr and won a reduction. This year 16-17 assessment was back to the amount prior to my settlement for 15-16. I just received my settlement for 16-17 and its back to the same amount that i settled for in 15-16. Why would they base my 16-17 appeal on the old 15-16 "higher assessement" rather than the revised lower assessment?
My second part of my question, my neighbor, same exact house but upgraded, central ac, larger lot, etc has a significantly lower assessment and it seems as if he/she has been winning a few years consecutively. Their assessment being lowered year after year and this would only make sense if each year the tentative assessment is based on the prior year lower assessment. If so, why is my case different and how can i contest this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 05:46 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklyn-Qns-Nassau View Post
Looking for some feedback on the entire tax assessment process. I filed on my own last yr and won a reduction. This year 16-17 assessment was back to the amount prior to my settlement for 15-16. I just received my settlement for 16-17 and its back to the same amount that i settled for in 15-16. Why would they base my 16-17 appeal on the old 15-16 "higher assessement" rather than the revised lower assessment?
My second part of my question, my neighbor, same exact house but upgraded, central ac, larger lot, etc has a significantly lower assessment and it seems as if he/she has been winning a few years consecutively. Their assessment being lowered year after year and this would only make sense if each year the tentative assessment is based on the prior year lower assessment. If so, why is my case different and how can i contest this?
Grieve again. Grieve every year. That's the only hope you have with such an arbitrary process. Your neighbor has the process down pat, you can learn from this.

The Long Island property tax game is all about trying to lower your own while screwing the rest of the neighbors in your community. If you don't play you are the one getting shafted.

Ideally services and taxes would be at an appropriate level, but this is unlikely to happen without major change at all levels of government.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:40 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:

Did your neighbors grieve themselves or did they use a professional?

Old 09-23-2015, 02:44 PM

400 posts, read 761,748 times
Quote:
I remember thinking the same thing after I won my second reduction. It was only because the 1st reduction had not been finalized yet.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:19 PM

35 posts, read 72,120 times
Thank you for the responses so far.
Elke..have no idea if hes using someone or doing it on his own. all I know the guys house the same model as mine but mint...beautiful house. And looking at the stats its a constant revision lower.
My question is more that my reduction for 16/17 isn't really a reduction it's more a revision down to the grievance level I won last year since they based the 16/17 on a non adjusted 15/16.
Should I accept or go through the scar process?
If I reject will my 16/17 assesment go up to the non adjusted value for 16/17 or to the value I won for 15/16?

Old 09-24-2015, 06:49 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
Quote:
Thank you for the responses so far.
Elke..have no idea if hes using someone or doing it on his own. all I know the guys house the same model as mine but mint...beautiful house. And looking at the stats its a constant revision lower.
My question is more that my reduction for 16/17 isn't really a reduction it's more a revision down to the grievance level I won last year since they based the 16/17 on a non adjusted 15/16.
Should I accept or go through the scar process?
If I reject will my 16/17 assesment go up to the non adjusted value for 16/17 or to the value I won for 15/16?
Just ask your neighbor how he does it. I pay 50% less property tax than anyone on block. Why I am a serial griever, if I lose or get a small reduction, I go to mediation and then SCAR if necessary and I submit with tons of docs. Last one was a 40 page applications.

maybe he is better at it.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:50 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Just ask your neighbor how he does it. I pay 50% less property tax than anyone on block. Why I am a serial griever, if I lose or get a small reduction, I go to mediation and then SCAR if necessary and I submit with tons of docs. Last one was a 40 page applications.

maybe he is better at it.
That's my thought. I had lower taxes than my neighbors and never grieved, but with the increases over the past few years it was something I was thinking about doing. My neighbors on either side both grieved their taxes, one brought it in line with mine and the other's is pending.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:27 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
When your following year assessment is the same amount as the amount you've won prior, you can't grieve further because no other houses are on record for that 20% lower assessed value you had won...

Say my house was assessed at $500k and I grieved it. I win and get it down to $400k. The following year's assessment says you're going to be taxed at $400k (the same amount you won at the year prior) if you don't grieve it. How are you going to grieve the $400k when no other comparable house is/was sold for $400k? Remember, your house and every other like it is a $500k value house. You have no houses to comp it with.

What I'm saying is grieve every year only if you didn't get the same amount as the amount you won the year before. Honestly I still don't know how that happens, but it happened to me and I couldn't grieve again. I don't think timing within the year has anything to do with it.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:38 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
When your following year assessment is the same amount as the amount you've won prior, you can't grieve further because no other houses are on record for that 20% lower assessed value you had won...

Say my house was assessed at $500k and I grieved it. I win and get it down to $400k. The following year's assessment says you're going to be taxed at $400k (the same amount you won at the year prior) if you don't grieve it. How are you going to grieve the $400k when no other comparable house is/was sold for $400k? Remember, your house and every other like it is a $500k value house. You have no houses to comp it with.

What I'm saying is grieve every year only if you didn't get the same amount as the amount you won the year before. Honestly I still don't know how that happens, but it happened to me and I couldn't grieve again. I don't think timing within the year has anything to do with it.

Currently a fair assessment is 75% of the current market value of house.

This is due to folks winning grievances the last few years and formal assessed values have not changed as we have not done a county wide assessment in a few years.

So in the $500K house above if you are at assessed at $375K or higher you should grieve.

Even less than $375K if you have smokestacks, double yellow lines, sandy damaged house, near a commercial business etc or low comps go ahead and do it.

And also you should grieve the year after a win regardless. Sometimes the win is processed after the new assessed value comes out and you might go back high following year. If you grieve you can get that fixed if it happens.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:52 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
^ but grieve against which properties that are < $375k since you're now grieving that figure? The only ones that low on record are ones which won't remotely compare to yours, and you have to specify them to ARC.

When is the new assessed value for '17-'18 coming out? People are getting their grievance results for '16-'17 year now, so I don't see how it's a timing thing unless the '17-'18 figures are out soon.

Last edited by ovi8; 09-24-2015 at 01:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: