Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 05:17 AM

345 posts, read 338,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dede21 View Post
Thats a really cute dog.
thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 11:02 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,089,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heuerfan View Post
In light of the recent event yesterday I am very concerned about my neighbors pitbull mix. Unfortunately they purchased this dog earlier this year as a puppy and clearly should not have. They do not care for it, the dog is not trained, just left on a chain to roam around in their backyard which is next to mine.

I have two young kids of my own and the thought of their dog escaping and doing harm is terrifying.

The sad thing is they got this dog from an animal shelter, better screening should be done before a pitbull mix should be released to would be owners.......
Raise a strong metal fence all around your backyard and front yard.
Nothing is precious than your kids.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:33 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,566 times
http://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/10-year-...ogsbiteorg.pdf

Old 11-23-2015, 09:56 AM

321 posts, read 596,021 times
Anyone that refuses to recognize the inherent danger of the various pit bull terriers is just ignoring the facts.

This isn't a matter of opinion, it is a matter of historic fact.

There are a few different breeds that resemble the modern "pitbull" but they all have the same ancestral DNA. These dogs were bred to fight to the death and to win at any cost. They were bred to fight 2000lb bulls, usually 4 to 8 dogs vs 1 bull. Their ancestors were chosen because of their strength, tenacity and perseverance.

It was also a common practice while breeding these dogs to euthanize any offspring that showed aggression towards humans.

It is possible to purchase a "safer" pitbull from a reputable breeder that has a long history of passive, low-energy dogs but even then the breed itself has violent, aggressive tendencies. This isn't because the breed is evil, it is because we bred them to be exactly this way.

When you purchase a pit from a puppy mill dog store, craigslist or a shelter, it is very likely that your dog was the result of a backyard breeder. A backyard breeder is not going to selectively breed dogs or euthanize aggressive dogs. You will be bringing a ticking time bomb into your home.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:40 AM

345 posts, read 338,920 times
dogs have wolf DNA. don't bring a wolf into your home.

mastiffs were used as soldiers and bear hunters. don't bring a bear killer into your home.

pugs were favored by chinese emperors. don't bring commie spies into your home.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:35 PM

122 posts, read 267,081 times
UPDATE: my wife just called and the dog got loose, this is the 3rd time in two months. The owner's wife who is terrified of the dog was afraid to do anything. This happened while my wife and the dog's owner were walking our kids back from the bus stop. The kids walked ahead and noticed the dog halfway under their gate, some how she pulled hard enough to free herself probably due to all the noise the children were making exciting her.

My wife had to bring the dog back and it was quite a struggle she said, very strong dog. Her hands are swollen from gripping the leash. The owner's wife just panicked and totally had no idea what to do.

My wife had a serious conversation with the wife of the owner and said something needs to be done, either doggy daycare during the day, get training for your dog or best option get rid of her.

I know that this is not a mean dog, but the thought that the owner cannot control such a strong dog that is capable of inflicting some serious damage terrifies me. My wife/kids could have gotten seriously hurt today....

I told my wife I think we have to report them, can this be done anonymously? And if so who do we contact?

Old 12-16-2015, 03:25 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,566 times
Why do it anonymously? The dog is a liability. Report it.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:40 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Why do it anonymously? The dog is a liability. Report it.
What makes the dog a liability? It's apparently done nothing but occasionally get loose which may make it a nuisance, but nothing more.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:50 PM

431 posts, read 1,310,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
What makes the dog a liability? It's apparently done nothing but occasionally get loose which may make it a nuisance, but nothing more.
Yeah. I'm not really seeing where this dog is dangerous.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:44 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heuerfan View Post
UPDATE: my wife just called and the dog got loose, this is the 3rd time in two months. The owner's wife who is terrified of the dog was afraid to do anything.

<snip>

The owner's wife just panicked and totally had no idea what to do.
That's the problem right there. It has nothing to do with the breed of dog (no need to get into all that again). They have a large dog that the owner (which is the wife when her husband is not around) cannot control. It is a dog that gets out and the person in control has no clue what to do. Even the friendliest dog in the world can knock down a kid and cause damage.

These people have no business owning any dog. The wife needs training before she should be left in control of a large animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island