Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 12:09 PM

21 posts, read 25,738 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am looking at homes in Port Washington Area at a budget of less than $600K for 3 bedrooms / 2 bathrooms.

There is home under $600K , but the age of the home is quite old (100 years old).

Let's take below link as an example.

10 N Maryland Ave, Port Washington, NY 11050 | Zillow

What possible things we have to question when looking at a house like this.

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 12:21 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,237,375 times
first thing I would worry about is heating/furnace system - has it been updated ? possible asbestos?

Old 12-03-2015, 12:30 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caringparent2009 View Post
Hi,

I am looking at homes in Port Washington Area at a budget of less than $600K for 3 bedrooms / 2 bathrooms.

There is home under $600K , but the age of the home is quite old (100 years old).

Let's take below link as an example.

10 N Maryland Ave, Port Washington, NY 11050 | Zillow

What possible things we have to question when looking at a house like this.

thank you
Ha.

Wiring, windows, lead paint, asbestos, heating, roof, plumbing, insulation. proper permits (i.e. for the enclosed rear porch).

The fact that these homes cost about $550k is what caused me to run away from a Port Washington house search.

I assume you plan to live in this house and not rent it out? If so, take a look at the houses adjacent to you. Are they owner occupied? This appears to be in one of the sections of PW with more transient housing. Look, one of my neighboring houses is a 2-family partially occupied by renters. That's not what I'm talking about. I'd be worried about houses -packed- with renters. Be careful in this section of Port Washington.

My conclusion is that it's a fantastic place to live, IF you are willing to pay 750k+ on a relatively small home. When you get down to the 500s, it's just not worth it, just to say that you live in Port Washington.

Also 3br 2ba but 976 square feet. ouch.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:51 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
You look at the same things as you would any other house.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
first thing I would worry about is heating/furnace system - has it been updated ? possible asbestos?
thanks !

Old 12-03-2015, 01:49 PM

5,521 posts, read 7,112,574 times
Watch a few episodes of Rehab Addict, Nicole Curtis will school ya.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Watch a few episodes of Rehab Addict, Nicole Curtis will school ya.

This is actually interesting. I never watched this show before. Thanks!

Old 12-03-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
Ha.

Wiring, windows, lead paint, asbestos, heating, roof, plumbing, insulation. proper permits (i.e. for the enclosed rear porch).

The fact that these homes cost about $550k is what caused me to run away from a Port Washington house search.

I assume you plan to live in this house and not rent it out? If so, take a look at the houses adjacent to you. Are they owner occupied? This appears to be in one of the sections of PW with more transient housing. Look, one of my neighboring houses is a 2-family partially occupied by renters. That's not what I'm talking about. I'd be worried about houses -packed- with renters. Be careful in this section of Port Washington.

My conclusion is that it's a fantastic place to live, IF you are willing to pay 750k+ on a relatively small home. When you get down to the 500s, it's just not worth it, just to say that you live in Port Washington.

Also 3br 2ba but 976 square feet. ouch.

Thanks!

Old 12-03-2015, 02:32 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
First things first -- Gibson Station made some excellent points.

Another thing we see is foundation issues. Cinderblock, no footings. Foundation cracks, and or getting powdery, letting in excessive moisture. Another issue is who has worked on it since built? We've seen cases were joists had huge holes drilled into them (compromising their integrity) to accommodate a pipe, or notched out to the point were there's only an inch or two. My house had an old tree trunk supporting a section!

Old 12-03-2015, 02:32 PM

397 posts, read 515,963 times
Nicole Curtis is a hack. She butchers the old homes she claims to care about. She only has a show because she has a nice rack and a tight backside. The only one that's worse is Amy Matthews. I cant watch either without yelling at the TV.

The problem with old homes is 100 years of neglect, and ill-informed DIY'ers trying to do repairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: