Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2016, 08:20 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times

Advertisements

I haven't shopped for RE on LI in years, but $2,500 a month to rent a small apartment in the likes of Bohemia?! I get Long Beach, that's not a bad deal based on location and amenities. But Suffolk diesel service and having to keep a car to get anywhere?! wow - that is insane.

It's no wonder Mom and Dad's basement is so enticing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 08:31 AM

852 posts, read 968,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limaman View Post
So your problem really is that new immigrants who according to you do not speak English and do not pay rent at market price are moving here?

I bet you your Italian ancestors did not speak a word of English either when they landed here however they came just as the recent people immigrating here looking for opportunities.
I bet you they suffered discrimination also and here you are perpetrating the ignorance against others.
And I got news for you that burger flipper is equal to me and you.
$10 burger?
No thanks I rather cook my own.
The difference is: My Italian grandparents came here legally; LEARNED to speak English; Didn't have a bunch of liberals pandering to them; Didn't complain when some "discriminated" against them/didn't like them being here; were never on entitlement programs (even during the Great Depression, raising 7 kids) and they were from a homogeneous culture, and assimilated- and raised 7 kids (Most of whom are still alive and healthy today, in their 80's and 90's), and 15 grandkids who have never been in trouble a day in their lives; and who have never used drugs nor been alcoholics, nor stabbed anyone, etc. but who have all been models of stability and responsibility.

THAT behavior I do not see in many of Third-worlders and others whom your politicians are enticing to come here legally or illegally. What we have instead, are often people of the lowest caliber, coming to make a quick buck. The stats say that many of the Mexicans are already leaving NY. because the money is drying up from the economic stagnancy and competition from other immigrants. This is quite different compared to people who come here and become citizens and live the rest of their lives here because they believe in the values of our culture. (Admittedly, that is no longer much of an option though, since our culture has pretty much abandoned those values- so how can we expect others to embrace them?)

Old 01-06-2016, 08:39 AM

852 posts, read 968,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I haven't shopped for RE on LI in years, but $2,500 a month to rent a small apartment in the likes of Bohemia?! I get Long Beach, that's not a bad deal based on location and amenities. But Suffolk diesel service and having to keep a car to get anywhere?! wow - that is insane.

It's no wonder Mom and Dad's basement is so enticing.
'Zactly!

$2500/mo.- they'd better be making at least $70K a year to afford that after taxes and all. $70K a year, to livie in an apartment in the cruddy area near the LIRR station.....and spend at least 3 hours a day (and probably more) just commuting to your job in the City where you can make that $70K? And then to be stuck with no car?! Sounds like a welfare life on a middle-class income. I hate the City, but rather than live in one of those apartments, I'd just rent an apartment in Astoria for $1200, with a 20 minute commute, and be much better off. (And so would 99.5% of everyone else...unless they don't have to work, and Uncle Sam is paying their rent with your money).

Old 01-06-2016, 08:57 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
The difference is: My Italian grandparents came here legally; LEARNED to speak English; Didn't have a bunch of liberals pandering to them; Didn't complain when some "discriminated" against them/didn't like them being here; were never on entitlement programs (even during the Great Depression, raising 7 kids) and they were from a homogeneous culture, and assimilated- and raised 7 kids (Most of whom are still alive and healthy today, in their 80's and 90's), and 15 grandkids who have never been in trouble a day in their lives; and who have never used drugs nor been alcoholics, nor stabbed anyone, etc. but who have all been models of stability and responsibility.

THAT behavior I do not see in many of Third-worlders and others whom your politicians are enticing to come here legally or illegally. What we have instead, are often people of the lowest caliber, coming to make a quick buck. The stats say that many of the Mexicans are already leaving NY. because the money is drying up from the economic stagnancy and competition from other immigrants. This is quite different compared to people who come here and become citizens and live the rest of their lives here because they believe in the values of our culture. (Admittedly, that is no longer much of an option though, since our culture has pretty much abandoned those values- so how can we expect others to embrace them?)
Calm down. Congratulations on your upstanding ancestors. There are fair arguments on both sides about the proper level of immigration, but smearing modern-day immigrants as any different than your grandparents or great-grandparents doesn't really work. Do you realize that most Italian and Jewish immigrants came over during a time of essentially open borders that were slammed shut thereafter during a mass backlash to them? Have you never seen pictures of the living conditions on the Lower East Side? Have you any familiarity with organized crime? The overtly hostile attitudes of native born Americans to Irish, Italian and Jewish immigrants (also essentially considered "Third-worlders" at the time)? During those years, were these immigrants not competing with "other immigrants" during a period of "economic stagnancy"? Were they also not "of the lowest caliber" (assuming you mean economically speaking)? Why else would they have crammed themselves onto transcontinental steerage? And, to your point about "living the rest of their lives here", a whole lot of them actually ended up going back to the Old Country. People also had the same cultural concerns then, too. Remember, we were a Protestant country. There was real fear of Catholics, and entire communities were closed to them, not to mention Jews. It's all the same. Look, I'm sure that there are plenty of immigrants who do not know English (these people are generally concentrated in dense immigrant neighborhoods in the five boroughs), but the ones I encounter on Long Island generally do (and who's to say that those that don't are not trying; my father in-law makes a nice second income teaching English to recent immigrants. Business is good.), and they seem to be trying to do exactly what our ancestors did. Assimilation does not happen overnight, and it did not happen overnight for our ancestors either.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:34 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
Yes, it is an economic disaster (Waiting to happen).

Do you know what the vaqcancy rate in those apartment buildings are in the first few years?

They may not be designed to be Sec. 8....but that's how they end up.- Do you know what percentage of these recently-built abominations are indeed Sec. 8?
We certainly know that YOU don't actually know the answers to any of those questions and are just guessing from your farm in nowheresville.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:37 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
We certainly know that YOU don't actually know the answers to any of those questions and are just guessing from your farm in nowheresville.
But if he could find me an apartment in the city for $1250 per month comparable to Patchogue 'Section 8', I'll take two.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:39 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,532,295 times
Quote:
Yes, it is an economic disaster (Waiting to happen). *****We been hearing that since Gruman left in the 80's*******

Do you know what the vaqcancy rate in those apartment buildings are in the first few years? ********Educated me? These complexes are going up everywhere ********

They may not be designed to be Sec. 8....but that's how they end up.- Do you know what percentage of these recently-built abominations are indeed Sec. 8? *******What is the percentage? Enlighten me**********

Do you seriously believe that there are throngs of people willing and able to pay $2500 a month to live in an apartment on an island where there are few jobs which would allow them to afford that rent; and where they will need to spend at least 3 hours a day commuting to the City- where they could just live for half the price and without the commute? (And not having a car, as another poster mentioned, doesn't sound like a very tempting trade-off even if one does live near the LIRR- as one would essentially be restricted to the LIRR and whatever was in their complex/walking distance- which would be a pretty bleak life for $2500 a month- considering that one could pay half of that and live in the City without a car, and still avail themselves ofeverything the City has to offer)
*********These people are living somewhere! Not for $1000 per month either*******
LOL...yeah, I can just see people lining up to pay $2500 a month to live in Wyandanch, and stroll around the 'hood! (Well, yes, I've heard that the Sec. 8 people have indeed lined-up already.....) ********Now that's where you get a bargain!!!!!!! $1000 per month & bars on the windows********

This nonsense is nothing but a redux of what happened in Brooklyn and The Bronx 50 years ago (From which people fled to LI to get away from)- Only at least then, they made no bones about it, and actually said that the projects were for the ghetto-dwellers.
********Those apt now are 1 mill+++ for 600 SF********

Old 01-06-2016, 09:39 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
But if he could find me an apartment in the city for $1250 per month comparable to Patchogue 'Section 8', I'll take two.

That shows how out of touch and clueless this guy is. Rent in the nice sections of Queens and especially Brooklyn aren't exactly cheap anymore either.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:07 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Quote:
I observed that culture in central Suffolk- among the blue-collar set. From neighbors, to dayes, to friends with whom I'm still in-touch. When I was still there, it seems I'd always end up doing things with this one particular friend, because he was the only one, like myself, who wasn't constantly going to a party or wedding.

I've even sort of made a little joke, when one friend calls me from there, I always ask "So how many weddings and birthdays are you going to next week?"....and he rattles off a list!

Maybe the issue is that Long Islanders don't know how to say no. If the person inviting you to an event is truly somebody that you (in this post, I'm using "you" in general, not to refer to you specifically) hardly know, then there should be little or no repercussions for not attending. Just say "Sorry, but I unfortunately cannot attend", especially if you truly are as busy as you say. If for some reason there could be repercussions for not attending, then maybe you can make an appearance, but have somewhere else that you have to go.

I think Long Islanders not knowing how to say no extends to other areas of life.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:08 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Quote:
Haha, that hits home! I'm Eye-talian too, and that's the one glaring thing about LI- in addition to your family, there are lots of other Eye-talians in the NY metro area. In most of the rest of the country (With the exception of parts of Jersey and maybe Philly) this isn't the case. Try finding another Italian in the Midwest or South!

Where I now live, I'm somewhat of a novelty, being an Italian, in a Scottish/English area. And if you were a Jew.....fuhgettaboudit! Many people here have never even met a real live Jew! (I'll trade ya some of these Scots for a few Jews, any day!)
I think a big part of it is that Italian-Americans place a strong emphasis on family, so Italian-Americans are more likely to stick it out on Long Island in order to stay close to family. That might also be true of Jews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island