Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 12:22 AM

3 posts, read 40,159 times

Advertisements

Sara,
All of the hospital and cemetery records would be at Pilgrim State Hospital now. The address info is above in this thread. The cemetery is still there, but not readily accessable. Please read my posting from July 6, 2007, also above in this thread, for a better description of it. Don't even think of going there without an appointment with the appropriate state hospital people.
Regards,
JoeJuc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 9,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtell View Post
My Great-grandmother Louisa Turtell lies buried in the hospital cemetery of Central Islip State Hospital, Islip Suffolk County NY.
I understand that this former psychiatric hospital is being re-developed but that the cemetery remains. Please could anyone tell me how to find it, if it is possible to visit and possible to find the grave. If not, maybe you know of a contact person who could give me any useful information.
Turtell, The Netherlands
I have a contact at Pilgrim State hospital Bob Ryan is his name. He helped me find my mothers grave His Tel:631-761-3227

Signed Steve Torretto

Old 02-25-2009, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 9,591 times
sarahguest

In the 1930 census I found my great aunt's name listed as an inmate of the Central Islip Psychiatric Center. I assume she must have died and be buried there as all other members are buried in Brooklyn. I have written to Pilgrim Psychiatric Center and have been informed they cannot give me information without a death date. That is what I am trying to find out, I have written to N. Y. Archives at least twice, sent money and been informed "no record". Wondered if you were able to get any more info. Do you have any idea where I go from here.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

JoyceHill

Old 03-06-2009, 10:16 PM

1 posts, read 9,597 times
I too am searching for Thor Larsen who died at Central Islip Psychiatric Center on christmas eve, 1959. There is no death record. Any ideas?

Old 05-26-2009, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 9,367 times
My grandfather lived at Pilgrim State Hospital when he died in 1941 age 42. I have his death certificate and it states the burial place. If you have the Death Cert., you should have the cemetery listed. Does anybody know what Home 19 means? I am assuming it is the place where the employees lived. ??? Thank you. [email]BarbieJHz@aol.com[/email]
You can join Ancestry.com to find the D. O. B. and D. O. D. You can also type in your address bar... FindaGrave.com .. Type in the persons name u r researching... Good Luck!

Last edited by BarbieJHz; 05-26-2009 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: to type more information

Old 10-17-2009, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 12,179 times
Hi everyone i like to introduce myself i am shannon 106 and, i have found a great interest in the grounds i work in one of the buildings, i believe was the surgical building. I dont know that much about them the web only post but so much so i was hoping someone would have some insight that actually may have been there before. As a youth i traveled though central islip all the time and apparently have never noticed the psych center. Does anyone have input.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 9,022 times
I work at this site. You can not enter it anymore to pay your respects unless you get permission from the psych center Dean Weinstock, which is not something I would do. The gates are chained closed.
Last few times I entered I noticed that they had removed most of the grave markers, and the row markers as well. I only found about 30 markers that were left. The sign that indicates it is a cemetery is long gone. If you were to see it you would wonder what team plays on this field. Thats because there is some hockey or other game equipment set up in one area, and with all the markers gone.... it looks like a sports field.
I suspect the markers were thrown in the rubble that surrounds pilgrim with all the other rubble from the demolished buildings. I can't imagine that they would have taken those stones very far, they had to weigh tons. And, they have clearly been removed.

Markers can sink into the ground over time but I noticed them vanishing over the course of a summer. I tried calling cemetery foundations and could not get any help outside of being told to speak to Dean Weinstock. Thats like asking the fox who ate the chickens.

Its a risky thing for employees to reporting anything they see. This removal of the stones is very disrespecful and I suspect foul play. Many of the people buried in that cemetery are not in the ground that long. I suspect they will build over the land soon. They are supposed to start condos in the area next summer.

If you have a family member there please make a stink! This is disrespectful to the dead. I am sure they will say they removed the markers so they could keep the grounds neater. The grounds are neat but these people are now buried in unmarked graves.

Last edited by Parsnip; 12-19-2009 at 12:54 PM..

Old 07-13-2010, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 8,664 times
Default Recent info

Hi Don: Like a previous response, you can call Pilgrim State Hospitral Maintenance Dept at 631-761-3225 and ask for Harry. He is now in charge of the cenetary. You MUST call this department and SCHEDULE an appointment to gain access into the grounds. Since CI closed, the cemetary is fenced and gated due to chronic vandalism. I have spoken with him many times recently, as I am visiting the grounds tomorrow to view my grandmother's gravesite. I had visited the grounds back in 1982, but lost track of my searches. Back then, CI was open, and anyone could gain access to the grounds. Now you must be let in by a maintenance person. Also, you must give them 24 hour notice as to when and what time you will be visiting. The maintenance department also has a list of those buried in the cemetary. Hope this helps.

Do you know how to access the cemetery records. I am searching for an Edna Gertrude Beasley born about 1892 in Texas and may have placed in the "Hospital" in 1928. We feel she probably died there, but no idea when.

Don[/quote]

Old 10-19-2010, 11:56 PM

2 posts, read 16,983 times
Hi all.
I notice these messages re:Islip Hospital & Cemetery were all written in 2007/8. I have just happened upon them during my search for my Gt.Aunts daughter who was in Islip in 1930. Has anyone been able to penetrate beyond authority to gain any information. I feel that the person I am seeking - Alice L Davis may also have been buried in the cemetery. I would be grateful to hear from anyone. I live in the UK
dreeny

Old 10-20-2010, 03:51 AM

2 posts, read 16,983 times
Talking Central Islip State Hospital

I have just joined this site and was interested to read all the comments relating to Central Islip State Hospital.

My Gt Aunt Alice Louisa Davis was an inmate in 1930, prior to this she was seen on the 1920 census for Orange Co. After 1930 nothing further has been found so I assume she must have died at Islip.

Has anyone had any success in breaking through the barriers relating to the hospital and cemetery records. I live in England so do not get the opportunity to search personally any of the US State records.

dreeny8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island