Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 08:23 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Based on the responses in this forum....a lot.

To GCGuy, I think Walter's point might have been that the Persian Jews left areas like Iran due to the constraints of living in the arab dominated culture. I believe their religous freedom was not, well let's just say....good. So not only by census but also by experience it would probably be rare to hear a Persian Jew associate themselves with these same arabs. Ok, I need to go to bed.
I am not disagreeing, but I am saying that the average person in america would not consider these people to be "white." Generally white people would be European in nature. That's all I meant. I'm not talking about scientifically, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 11:05 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,678,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Generally white people would be European in nature.

Under that definition, then, I guess, that Jesus of Nazareth, being a West Asian Semite, as are almost all Jews, would not be "White", huh?

Old 02-12-2008, 12:13 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,270 times
Quote:
I am not disagreeing, but I am saying that the average person in america would not consider these people to be "white." Generally white people would be European in nature. That's all I meant. I'm not talking about scientifically, etc.
I agree with you. I would never refer to an Arab as white nor have I ever heard anyone else do it either.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
I would never refer to an Arab as white nor have I ever heard anyone else do it either.

Since Arabs and Jews are BOTH West Asian Semites, than, I guess, you and your crowd would not refer to Jews as white, either?

Old 02-12-2008, 07:49 PM

8,688 posts, read 11,074,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
So if anyone has a good guess, what percentage
of white people in Great Neck do you think is Jewish. My guess
would be about 60%.
From my years of experience on the Port Washington LIRR train line (which stops at GN)... During the Jewish holidays, its incredible how few people step on the LIRR train. I would say its much higher than 60%.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:51 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Since Arabs and Jews are BOTH West Asian Semites, than, I guess, you and your crowd would not refer to Jews as white, either?
No, "typical" Jews are white. I think most people would agree with that.

Listen, Walter, this is like when you correct poeple that call village, hamlets, cities, etc. towns. It's the common terminology that most people use...Garden City, Huntington "village", Long Beach, Levittown...all technically different, but most people on LI call them "towns." Similar point with calling people "white."

Technically, people from India are considered Asians...show me that most people on LI, in America for that fact, include Indians when they say Asian...this is mostly Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, etc.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,613 times
Default Great Neck is Excellent

Great Neck is an excellent town. The schools, shopping, commute, food/dining and commercial infrastructure is tremendous. I doubt you will find a nicer place to move to and raise a family. Certainly, the demographics have changed the town has significant populations of newly arrived (last ten years) Chinese, Korean, Persian, Russian and Israeli people...

The parks and activities are incredible - you just won't find a better place in my humble opinion. I moved here 12 years ago after looking elsewhere in LI and NJ.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Listen, Walter, this is like when you correct poeple that call village, hamlets, cities, etc. towns. It's the common terminology that most people use...Garden City, Huntington "village", Long Beach, Levittown...all technically different, but most people on LI call them "towns." Similar point with calling people "white."

Technically, people from India are considered Asians...show me that most people on LI, in America for that fact, include Indians when they say Asian...this is mostly Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, etc.

Why does this not surprise me that people who do not know correct local geography do not know correct global geography, and confuse racial classification (Caucasoid, Mongoloid and Negroid) with geographic location (European, Asian and African).

Old 02-25-2008, 12:41 PM
JNY

4 posts, read 17,855 times
Hello!
I find your answer very helpful. We are also looking into moving to Great Neck (young down to earth family with two kids). Are there areas I better not take into consideration or are all the areas nice?
Thanks for a straight forward answer! JNY

Old 02-25-2008, 12:43 PM
JNY

4 posts, read 17,855 times
I was referring to the the post of GreatNeckResident
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island