Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 12:50 PM

8 posts, read 14,146 times

Advertisements

Hi

Posted a similar thread in Westchester forum.
I am contemplating buying a place in one of these areas and would appreciate some feedback.
1) Valley stream, Dawson Dr, SD 24
2) Valley Stream, close to Dutch Broadway, SD 13
3) Franklin Square, Van Buren Ave, SD 17
4) Westchester, either yonkers or Mt Vernon

I would need to commute to close to 60th & Lex everyday.

I would appreciate any and all feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 01:38 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledocbio View Post
Hi

Posted a similar thread in Westchester forum.
I am contemplating buying a place in one of these areas and would appreciate some feedback.
1) Valley stream, Dawson Dr, SD 24
2) Valley Stream, close to Dutch Broadway, SD 13
3) Franklin Square, Van Buren Ave, SD 17
4) Westchester, either yonkers or Mt Vernon

I would need to commute to close to 60th & Lex everyday.

I would appreciate any and all feedback
Franklin Square has no LIRR stop. Good luck. My friend lives there and his wife drops him off at the GC stop every day as he cant park there

Old 09-16-2015, 05:33 PM

107 posts, read 219,390 times
Valley stream, Dawson Dr, SD 24 is probably your best choice.

Although I feel Westchester is better than LI in many aspects, the two areas you picked are subpar. There is one area in Yonkers that is very nice however Mt. Vernon is garbage.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:15 PM

8 posts, read 14,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brxite View Post
Valley stream, Dawson Dr, SD 24 is probably your best choice.

Although I feel Westchester is better than LI in many aspects, the two areas you picked are subpar. There is one area in Yonkers that is very nice however Mt. Vernon is garbage.
thanks

the areas in Yonkers I was looking at were Scarsdale PO, and Crestwood.

The SD24 house was overpriced and the best house in an otherwise mediocre neighborhood (Dawson Dr does not seem to have a lot of nice houses)

The SD13 house is reasonably priced because it needs a little bit of work. Also, the houses around it are in decent shape.

All houses I am talking about are about a mile from the station. How is the parking situation in Valley Stream?

Old 10-14-2015, 07:44 PM

4 posts, read 6,877 times
in vs the parking situation is pretty good but you should try to get there as early as possible, because the spots do fill up. definitely fill up by 9....at the latest...

Old 10-15-2015, 02:33 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,528 times
Resident commuter parking in Valley Stream is night and day better than anything in southern Westchester and significantly better than most of western Long Island. get to the station by 8:30 though (that's much later than similarly situated towns).

A resident permit is a bargain at $35 for the year. Non-resident is $750 for the year. Also a bargain in that such a thing even exists (Compare to Great Neck, Manhasset Port Washington, Lynbrook, not to mention Bronxville, Scarsdale, Pelham). Or buy a house within walking distance from Gibson, Westwood or even the main Valley Stream station.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:56 PM

258 posts, read 456,857 times
Westchester is loads better than Long Island in my opinion, but Yonkers and Mount Vernon are the bottom of the heap and the exceptions.

I'd go with Valley Stream.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:46 AM

157 posts, read 213,692 times
I'd go for Westchester just because it's so much easier to travel by car. Getting off this dang island is a real pain in the rear if you're driving on vacation or traveling for work. I'm so sick of the Verrazano, going through Staten Island, etc, etc. bridges and tunnels, bridges and tunnels...

Old 10-20-2015, 09:18 AM

258 posts, read 456,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMcFamily View Post
I'd go for Westchester just because it's so much easier to travel by car. Getting off this dang island is a real pain in the rear if you're driving on vacation or traveling for work. I'm so sick of the Verrazano, going through Staten Island, etc, etc. bridges and tunnels, bridges and tunnels...
You and me both. When we have enough saved up, we're out. Looking at Mamaroneck, Rye, Eastchester, or Pelham. Long Island's geographical problems alone aren't worth it.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:38 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMcFamily View Post
I guess I can't really disagree with that. However, the I95 corridor (Pelham through Port Chester) in Westchester is unbelievably traffic-clogged. In terms of getting up an out from my part of Long Island, I don't find the Cross Island to the Throggs Neck to be the end of the world at all. Also, apples to apples, (say, Scarsdale to Great Neck; Mamaroneck to Port Washington) Westchester is somewhat more expensive, with somewhat higher taxes. Westchester has easy access to some great scenery and nature. But, on the other hand, Long Island has the beach and the east end. Also, convenience to the cool stuff going on in Brooklyn and, increasingly, Queens.

I think suburban New Jersey is well situated, geographically, other than to New England. I guess it's all about where you want to go, right? Long Island to points north and to New England is not too bad (at least from my very western Nassau area). New Jersey and points south and west? Yes, it's terrible. But how often will you actually be doing that? For me, being near family is worth the traffic to get to those areas, because I don't do it that often.

Actually, I probably fly more often than i drive south and west, and parts of Long Island are incredibly more convenient to JFK and LGA than Westchester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island