Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 09:11 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,403,359 times

Advertisements

I've got State Farm and my agent is located two blocks away from my house. I got cheaper rates from Geico's third party insurer Narrangasset Bay, Adirondack and Allstate but I would rather pay more than to deal with any of those companies who are based in another state and I can't speak to in person. At least with State Farm I can speak to an agent in person if I'm not happy with the service I'm getting online or on the phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 10:03 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
I'm on Liberty Mutual so it must be a flood-risk thing for you.

I had considered Naragansett(sp?) but their report card did not look favorable after Sandy. That's how I settled on Liberty Mutual.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:20 PM

383 posts, read 665,272 times
Try contacting an independent agent who can rate in several different companies. I work for one in Smithtown and we can write many different companies including Narragansett Bay.

Be careful with Allstate. Inquire on how they handle a roof claim in the event of a windstorm.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:08 PM

68 posts, read 76,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsstats View Post
Try contacting an independent agent who can rate in several different companies. I work for one in Smithtown and we can write many different companies including Narragansett Bay.

Be careful with Allstate. Inquire on how they handle a roof claim in the event of a windstorm.
This was the dreaded "hurricane deductible" I mentioned. Apparently if your roof is blown off by wind, there's a hefty deductible in the thousands....on my policy, that deductible wouldn't come into play unless the wind that caused the damage was deemed to be over 110MPH. I don't know that we'll ever see that here? I often wonder what they use to gauge the windspeed if there is a claim...suffice to say, I don't want to find out. I believe other insurance companies kicked in at a lower speed. I don't remember. I liked the policy and haven't even thought about it the past 6 years. The price has crept up though. This thread is inspiring me to at least see what's out there now...

Old 04-02-2016, 09:19 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,532,295 times
I had Allstate for 20 years. They dropped me even though I had NO claims. I live in the middle part of L.I. A lot of Co were dropping people 5-10 years ago afraid of storm payouts.
Now Allstate calls me EVERY MONTH to sign back up. NO Thanks!
That caused my auto insurance to go up $400 per year because I lost the "bundle rate"

So, I switched to Utica National with Auto, Umbrella & homeowners. Everything bundled saves you a lot! They are not the cheapest. However, their customer service & claims processing are amazing! Unfortunately, I had to put in 2 claims within the last few years. ABSOLUTELY no issues, great customer service!

Bottom line, I rather pay $200-$300 +/- more with great service than some fly by night Co.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:35 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Utica is expensive but they pay everything. Worth it if you can get them to write you.

And I agree, I would be very careful who you get your HO policy with, if you have choices. There are differences between policies that can make a huge difference if you have a large loss. For instance, State Farm pays living expenses with no cap. If your house blows away or burns down, you don't want to have to worry about a cap on your rent payments.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:10 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
what about Nationwide? We have them for 13 years. Very Happy.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:00 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,532,295 times
A few years back when Allstate dropped me, I called EVERY MAJOR insurance Co.
They ALL told me "we're not writing policies in your area". Some said "call back in a few months, maybe we'll start writing again in your area". Again, I'm between the LIE & Sunrise, no way near the water.

I'm sure most started writing again. I wouldn't switch to any of them! They have no problem dropping you, but beg when they want you're business back.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:14 PM

29 posts, read 29,272 times
Allstate for several years now. The bigger insurance companies were shying away from the areas you mentioned prior to Sandy. Allstate dropped me at one point but there was class action suit and I had the option to return which I did as the other insurance company was too expensive. Allstate had told me if I consolidate all my policies with them, they would have kept me the first time around so that is what I do now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: