Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 06:45 AM

20,089 posts, read 20,897,502 times

Advertisements

Wow. Derailed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 08:52 AM

217 posts, read 247,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, but also seriously, it's most likely that the NY plates in the left lane are specifically from the city and they just don't understand the concept that you are supposed to be in the right lane if you are slower traffic. Think about it--in the city, the right lanes are often occupied by double-parked vehicles, so you kind of have to stay to the left. Some city people just aren't used to driving properly on major highways.

"All lanes are for going the same speed. I'll drive 55 in the left lane and give YOU the finger as you pass me in the center lane" - GPSMA

Old 04-19-2016, 12:50 PM
exm exm started this thread

3,730 posts, read 1,787,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Wow. Derailed.
That only happens with the LIRR

Old 04-19-2016, 01:03 PM

8,698 posts, read 11,094,971 times
you mean Amtrak.....right around rush hour and always conveniently by the East tunnels!!

Old 04-19-2016, 07:53 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackRyder View Post
"All lanes are for going the same speed. I'll drive 55 in the left lane and give YOU the finger as you pass me in the center lane" - GPSMA
Go ahead. Left lane for passing is the law, and the signs that say "slower traffic keep right" are pretty much self-explanatory. State trooper hiding behind the overpass'll get ya!

Oh yeah, single moms, ahem...

Old 04-20-2016, 06:06 AM

345 posts, read 339,276 times
Back on track.

28 here. Had (have?) a decent driving record with one large hit on it. Was paying $150/mo for a 20 year old truck through geico with near-basic coverage. Switched to esurance recently and now it's under $90/mo, same coverage. I pretty much believe insurance calculates your rates with a slot machine but these people are probably leasing new mid-luxury cars with full coverage, ****ty records, and bad credit.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:31 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,365,770 times
Neither of them should have a nice enough car that does not require collision and comprehensive coverage. They are financially irresponsible to waste 3/4 of their income on auto insurance. Maybe Bernie Sanders could give them free insurance along with college and everything else. After all, no one is responsible for their own situations. It's society's fault. (Eyes rolling)

Old 04-20-2016, 09:33 AM

20,089 posts, read 20,897,502 times
There are a lot of things these dirtbag leeches shouldn't have or do...

Smoking. All these welfare queens smoke butts. That's $10-20 a day.
Car. I can understand having "a" car. No you do not need a new car with payment and additional insurance coverage.
Super fancy cell phone and coverage. Really? You *need* the 6?
Cable/internet/phone. You do not need premium channels and multi room dvr. You do not even *need* a set top box in every room. Let your 4 or 5 little darlings fight over the TV in the living room. That's a savings of 8-12 bucks per box per month.
I could go on and on. There are necessities and luxuries. These skells feel that certain luxuries are, or should be necessities. I just, this feeling of entitlement, it just really pisses me off. All this crap they feel they need and should have for no good reason.
Get a job. Get 2. Close your legs. You can buy a pack of butts every day but not rubbers?
No excuse. You are a loser and a leech.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:51 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,539,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Neither of them should have a nice enough car that does not require collision and comprehensive coverage. They are financially irresponsible to waste 3/4 of their income on auto insurance. Maybe Bernie Sanders could give them free insurance along with college and everything else. After all, no one is responsible for their own situations. It's society's fault. (Eyes rolling)
The cars I see all over Long Island are out of control. Compare a typical modest to crappy SE Queens or Nassau neighborhood to the Upper East Side, and you'll be surprised where more luxury cars are to be found.

Poor people are in a bit of a bind though; what they need is a sub-300 a month, no money down new, nice sized leased family car that will be warrantied and trouble-free. With a crappy credit rating, this is impossible and they are paying a lot more for a lot worse.

This is something I have sympathy for. I have two cars, a new leased Passat and an 11 year old A4 that I bought in 2014 for cash. Guess which is more expensive to own...

None of this, however, explains the BMWs and Mercedes I see everywhere in marginal neighborhoods.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:11 AM

345 posts, read 339,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
Poor people are in a bit of a bind though; what they need is a sub-300 a month, no money down new, nice sized leased family car that will be warrantied and trouble-free. With a crappy credit rating, this is impossible and they are paying a lot more for a lot worse.
That's easy.

Quote:
2016 ELANTRA - FROM $17,250
Lease starting at $169/month for 36 months. $1,399 due at lease signing. Excludes registration, tax, title and license. (4/1/2016 - 5/2/2016)
Roll that downpayment into the monthlys and you get $208/mo. Roll in tax and all that you will still be under $250 easy.

A compact is just as big, if not bigger than the midsizes of the late 90s/ early 2000s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: