Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 06:08 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,370,159 times

Advertisements

What you have to take into consideration is that theres not much empty space left in Nassau. Anything you have built will likely need to be way the heck out east. I dont know where in Nassau you can buy empty land plots...

I know you were asking about Bellmore so figured i'd mention
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 06:09 PM

300 posts, read 552,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joonion Coffee Break Mang View Post
^^^^^^An important fact to remember on LI is the exorbitant taxes a "new construction" home would be subject to vs a renovation or re-model.^^^^^
Also, FYI, many times larger alterations get treated like new homes.

The last 3 larger homes I did were alterations.. All of them were considered to be "construction in excess of 50" which means the homes all were treated as new homes and were subject to new home taxes even though the home was never demolished.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klara View Post
@DesignBuild,

When you say average new home cost 350k+, what is sqft of the home?
What if I want to build 1500-1800 sqft. Is it possible to do so for less? Lets say 300k.

Anything is possible but 300k is tight...

The average single story den or bedroom extension can cost 45k - 65k... That doesn't even include kitchen or bathroom work. As you can imagine, a house is going to be much much more since it is a larger scope of work..

Old 06-03-2016, 07:56 PM

186 posts, read 243,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignBuild516 View Post
Hey LIHR,

Hope all is well bud. I just want some clarification to make sure we are on the same page? You are talking about total sf between both floors correct? Not building foot print.

Meaning that if you have 900sf on first floor and 900sf on second floor the home is 1800sf so you multiply $250 x 1800sf and come up with $450,000. Correct?

All well and very busy DesignBuild. Hope the same at your end. . Yes you're correct, total living space. Of course there are many variables but the reality is once the last shrub is planted and the keys are passed onto the owners it's costing at least that much.

My Bathroom and kitchen renovations are in the 450+ sqft range.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIHR View Post
All well and very busy DesignBuild. Hope the same at your end. . Yes you're correct, total living space. Of course there are many variables but the reality is once the last shrub is planted and the keys are passed onto the owners it's costing at least that much.

My Bathroom and kitchen renovations are in the 450+ sqft range.

Just checking, we are on the same page. I never really do sqft numbers, but it is a nice method to check my math by to see where I am at.. Seems we are close. I'm old school. I do stick estimates and figure out each trade and material separately and then add Labor, OH & Profit. I check sqft at the end of my estimates sometimes but I typically am involved with alteration work and I feel like sqft numbers can be deceiving project to project. Area calculations are nice to use as a double checker though and a rough guideline.

Glad to hear you are busy. This has been a good season with both design and building thus far. Let's keep it going.

Old 06-04-2016, 05:25 AM

186 posts, read 243,792 times
Design, You're doing it right. I'll never sell a job by the sqft. You'll get yourself into big trouble if you do. I use a 6 page excel work sheet for my job costs.

My sqft estimates are from years of job averages. It's my best way to keep tire kickers at bay. What I'll do is size up the job, the client, their expectations of quality and go from there with my sqft estimate. If my sqft estimate doesn't shock them then they are probably reasonable on cost expectations and worth pursuing.

I've wasted too much time writing up proposals over the years. I now shoot people a verbal estimate as I look straight in their eyes and feel them out. I either walk away or continue to the next step from their response. It's that simple.

Many are so far out of touch with actual costs of a quality job. Consumers have been brainwashed with cheap consumer goods for too long. No longer can you purchase a garden hose nozzle that will last for 40 years made of solid brass. Plastic junk that you get one season out of it at best. People reading these forums must understand it's impossible to compare pricing from one contractor from another. We all build to different quality levels, different materials, and provide different customer services. The sad part is most contractors will make it look good on the outside giving the average consumer the impression we are all the same, so they question themselves why go with the higher number. But in reality it's all about what you don't see where corners are cut which reduce the overall performance and service life of the product. Product = renovation/remodel

Yes very busy. I was non-stop through winter and running around to a few jobs, but now settled in on a nice job on the north shore for a while. I'm running out for a quick meeting this morning and off the rest of the weekend.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:30 AM

20,025 posts, read 20,835,571 times
Are you people on drugs?
WTF? 300 grand to build a house? That includes the land right?

Old 06-04-2016, 11:36 AM

397 posts, read 515,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Are you people on drugs?
WTF? 300 grand to build a house? That includes the land right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIHR View Post

Many are so far out of touch with actual costs of a quality job.

Yep, I see that...

Old 06-04-2016, 12:48 PM

15 posts, read 23,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignBuild516 View Post
Also, FYI, many times larger alterations get treated like new homes.

The last 3 larger homes I did were alterations.. All of them were considered to be "construction in excess of 50" which means the homes all were treated as new homes and were subject to new home taxes even though the home was never demolished.
Either way, the point is very relevant to the OP's question.

Old 06-04-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joonion Coffee Break Mang View Post
Either way, the point is very relevant to the OP's question.

Yes agreed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island