Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 11:22 AM

94 posts, read 131,302 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am new and I was wondering if North Babylon also applies for parking in Babylon Station?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 12:17 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with North Babylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousNYLover View Post
Hi, I am new and I was wondering if North Babylon also applies for parking in Babylon Station?

Aparently not: If you check on page 1 of this thread, omigawd wrote, "In order to get a permit for the Babylon LIRR station, you have to be a resident of the VILLAGE of Babylon (not the Town of Babylon).".

For those who may not be familiar with North Babylon:

North Babylon is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the southeast part of the Town of Babylon, in the southwest part of Suffolk County, along the Babylon/Islip town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of North Babylon in the Town of Babylon is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Deer Park; on the east by the Hamlet of West Islip in the Town of Islip (the Babylon/Islip town line); on the south by the Village of Babylon; and, on the west by the Hamlet of West Babylon.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cd/North-babylon-ny-map.gif (broken link)

The Hamlet of North Babylon has a different border than does the "North Babylon, NY 11703" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "North Babylon, NY 11703" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of North Babylon): places that have a "North Babylon, NY 11703" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of North Babylon are in the Village of Babylon and in the Hamlet of West Babylon.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 03-12-2008, 12:24 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,488,891 times
Not True! Places that have an address of North Babylon, NY 11704, are fully North Babylon. Their mail just happens to go to West Babylon post office (11704) becaus it is closer. Little East Neck Road in the above map is the eastern border of North Babylon.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:02 PM

Default For those who may not be familiar with West Babylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Not True! Places that have an address of North Babylon, NY 11704, are fully North Babylon. Their mail just happens to go to West Babylon post office (11704) becaus it is closer. Little East Neck Road in the above map is the eastern border of North Babylon.

I think that you are assuming that the ZIP Code postal zone that "shares" the same name as a city, village or hamlet has the same borders as the community name it shares. Unfortunately, and to the great surprise of many people on LI, this is not true, with one singular exception: only the Village of Sea Cliff in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County and the "Sea Cliff, NY 11579" ZIP Code postal zone have identical borders and no other city, village or hamlet and a same-named ZIP Code postal zone can make that claim.

For those who may not be familiar with West Babylon:

West Babylon is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the central to southeast part of the Town of Babylon, in the southwest part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of West Babylon in the Town of Babylon is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Wyandanch; on the east by the Hamlet of North Babylon and the Village of Babylon; on the south by the Great South Bay; and, on the west by the Village of Lindenhurst and the Hamlet of North Lindenhurst.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7e/West-babylon-ny-map.gif (broken link)

The Hamlet of West Babylon has a different border than does the "West Babylon, NY 11704" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "West Babylon, NY 11704" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of West Babylon and a place can have other than a "West Babylon, NY 11704" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of West Babylon): places that have a "West Babylon, NY 11704" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of West Babylon are in the Village of Lindenhurst, the Hamlet of North Lindenhurst, the Hamlet of East Farmingdale, the Hamlet of Wyandanch, the Hamlet of North Babylon and the Village of Babylon; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of West Babylon with a "Lindenhurst, NY 11757", "Wyandanch, NY 11798", "North Babylon, NY 11703" and "Babylon, NY 11702" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 03-12-2008, 04:45 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,273,545 times
To park in Babylon Station , you must live in the village of Babylon. There is quite a waiting list, but there will be one empty space this coming June ( ).

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-12-2008, 10:37 PM

5 posts, read 17,642 times
Another option would be to park on the street at the Lindenhurst LIRR station which is the next town over. There is street parking behind and around the Post Office which is directly across from the station. I did that for several years and live in West Babylon. It's about 5 minutes driving time from the Babylon station and no costs involved. You can still get an express train from Lindenhurst. I never had a problem.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:30 AM

Default For those who may not be familiar with Lindenhurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe2 View Post
Another option would be to park on the street at the Lindenhurst LIRR station which is the next town over.

For those who may not be familiar with Lindenhurst:

Lindenhurst is a village (incorporated in 1923) in the south part of the Town of Babylon, in the southwest part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Lindenhurst in the Town of Babylon is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of North Lindenhurst; on the east by the Hamlet of West Babylon; on the south by the Great South Bay; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Copiague and the Hamlet of North Amityville.

The Village of Lindenhurst has a different border than does the "Lindenhurst, NY 11757" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Lindenhurst, NY 11757" mailing address and not be in the Village of Lindenhurst and a place can have other than a "Lindenhurst, NY 11757" mailing address and be in the Village of Lindenhurst): those places that have a "Lindenhurst, NY 11757" mailing address that are not in the Village of Lindenhurst are in the Hamlet of North Lindenhurst; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Lindenhurst with a "West Babylon, NY 11704" mailing address.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:19 PM

2 posts, read 6,655 times
Default Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
In order to get a permit for the Babylon LIRR station, you have to be a resident of the VILLAGE of Babylon (not the Town of Babylon).

They also have meter parking --- 25 cents per 3 hours. That's not too bad. Figure you'll be spending $1 or $1.25 a day on parking.

Hi, the meter parking is now 25 cents per hour...that's bad!!

Old 07-02-2009, 06:46 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,273,545 times
Well, my old space is available now.

(Some retired people keep theirs just because they were so hard to obtain, but I can walk to the station & I do not go into the city all that often so it would be a waste to pay that much money annually just to have a space.)

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-02-2009, 06:50 PM

532 posts, read 1,270,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Well, my old space is available now.

(Some retired people keep theirs just because they were so hard to obtain, but I can walk to the station & I do not go into the city all that often so it would be a waste to pay that much money annually just to have a space.)
Awesome! Another step closer to having my own spot . 13 months on the waiting list and counting.

The walk from the George Street lot aint so bad anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island