Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 12:18 PM

43 posts, read 47,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcasty View Post
Roslyn is kind of a narrow street so it can get congested when there are cars parked..the upside is that it's a straight walk to the school campus - 2 blocks at most. You should know that there was a property on Westbury Ave (219) that was sold and will be developed into a church, it backs into Roslyn Ave and at the moment there are concerns about adequate parking for the facility....it's early days but i would definitely want to be aware and factor this into my home purchase...could be a non-issue but regardless, FYI.

I don't know what your timeline is but since you like the area zoned for CP across from the High School, keep an eye out for homes on the numbered streets- 12, 11th, 10th and 9th, wide streets and no sidewalks on most which gives it a different feel.
Super helpful! Labor Day weekend I am going to take a look with my mom. Scope out all of the above to get a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 01:47 AM

11 posts, read 12,724 times
Lynbrook (with Lynbrook schools)
Floral Park
East Rockaway (with Lynbrook schools)
Stewart Manor (with GC schools)

One area of interest would be the Westwood section of Lynbrook which is the area south of the Westwood LIRR station. Excellent schools (SD 20- Lynbrook), quaint setting (lots of brick, stone and "hansel and gretel" type homes), very community oriented, 35 minutes to Penn from both LIRR stations. Homes will be within your price range and taxes will be on higher end but within your range. Good mix of young families moving there from Brooklyn/Manhattan but also lots of families and seniors that have been there for generations.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:28 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
CP is a nice small school district, always has been. Not sure if CP has separate village taxes. I personally could not stand to be boxed in by the massive amounts of traffic in that area, but that's a personal decision. I would rather CP schools than Mineola.

Stewart Manor has one street (Fernwood Terrace) zoned for Garden City schools. Downside is you still live in Stewart Manor while your kids go to GC, however Vilage of GC now allows people who live outside the village and are zoned for GC schools to use their facilities (like pool and sports). And when I say "people who live outside the village" there is Fernwood Terrace and one street in Hempstead that are zoned for GC schools.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:48 AM

43 posts, read 47,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
CP is a nice small school district, always has been. Not sure if CP has separate village taxes. I personally could not stand to be boxed in by the massive amounts of traffic in that area, but that's a personal decision. I would rather CP schools than Mineola.

Stewart Manor has one street (Fernwood Terrace) zoned for Garden City schools. Downside is you still live in Stewart Manor while your kids go to GC, however Vilage of GC now allows people who live outside the village and are zoned for GC schools to use their facilities (like pool and sports). And when I say "people who live outside the village" there is Fernwood Terrace and one street in Hempstead that are zoned for GC schools.
I am familiar with that road in SM. I think I saw 1 house for sale on that street a while back [I started looking at listings a while go] and it was gone in no time! I definitely have my eyes peeled for that.

CP would most likely be a starter home for us for a few years and seems like a good prospective fit. I would ultimately like to be in GC for the future, we shall see!

In regards to the CP taxes, all of the listings on MLS only give 1 tax. I wonder if this is a mistake or if it is accurate.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:00 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:

Interesting, never knew there was a street in SM that went to GC schools. Out of curiosity what is the street in Hempstead? I'm guessing that one nice section (can't recall the name).

Old 08-23-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Interesting, never knew there was a street in SM that went to GC schools. Out of curiosity what is the street in Hempstead? I'm guessing that one nice section (can't recall the name).
Nope, not in a nice area at all. It's way over on the east side, it's called Vanata Court.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:17 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
Nope, not in a nice area at all. It's way over on the east side, it's called Vanata Court.
Very interesting. Wonder who drew that district line back in the day!

Old 08-24-2016, 05:32 AM

There's a similar situation in Garden City South now that I think about it. There's a house (used to know the people who lived there, maybe they still do) that's right on the border of GC proper, apparently they were able to prove that a minuscule part of the property was in GC so they pay GC school taxes and use the schools.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:46 PM

260 posts, read 450,931 times
Quote:

I confirm that there are no village taxes in CP. There are portions of Westbury that are zoned for CP schools and do pay village tax.

Last edited by dcasty; 08-24-2016 at 01:41 PM..

Old 08-24-2016, 12:48 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcasty View Post
I confirm that there are no village taxes in CP. There portions of Westbury that are zoned for CP schools and do pay village tax.
That's a nice area and would be worth them looking into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island