Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 02:54 PM

43 posts, read 48,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcasty View Post
I confirm that there are no village taxes in CP. There are portions of Westbury that are zoned for CP schools and do pay village tax.
I noticed that about the Westbury homes. I will most likely keep my search to CP within that area! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 06:45 AM

22 posts, read 43,847 times
We are a couple in our 30's, both OG Long Islanders but did the work/live in the city thing (LOVED IT) and decided we needed to come back for the kids/schools/space. Same budget as you, we looked in Port Washington for a bit and had an accepted offer but I just couldn't go through with paying 650K/14k taxes for a one bathroom 1500 sq ft house next to houses that had rentals in them.

So the search continued and continued and continued and we ended up in Merrick Woods in a charming house that we love. The schools are North Merrick. The neighborhood is beautiful and $700K will get you a nice house on a tree lined street where you can walk to trains, schools, places to eat. People are nice, perhaps lacking some of the culture of the NYC set but I could just be being snobby. Husband still commutes to NYC and its 40-50 min, trains run often. Taxes can be high, mine are 12K but I have a pretty small lot. You will be in the top neighborhood in the town (as opposed to being in the peasant area of Garden City at that budget). Access to highways and beach are also a plus. Overall, I would say this area is one of the best kept secrets on LI.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:19 PM

238 posts, read 1,959,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSureWhereToGo View Post
We are a couple in our 30's, both OG Long Islanders but did the work/live in the city thing (LOVED IT) and decided we needed to come back for the kids/schools/space. Same budget as you, we looked in Port Washington for a bit and had an accepted offer but I just couldn't go through with paying 650K/14k taxes for a one bathroom 1500 sq ft house next to houses that had rentals in them.

So the search continued and continued and continued and we ended up in Merrick Woods in a charming house that we love. The schools are North Merrick. The neighborhood is beautiful and $700K will get you a nice house on a tree lined street where you can walk to trains, schools, places to eat. People are nice, perhaps lacking some of the culture of the NYC set but I could just be being snobby. Husband still commutes to NYC and its 40-50 min, trains run often. Taxes can be high, mine are 12K but I have a pretty small lot. You will be in the top neighborhood in the town (as opposed to being in the peasant area of Garden City at that budget). Access to highways and beach are also a plus. Overall, I would say this area is one of the best kept secrets on LI.
Couldn't agree more. I currently live on the edge of Merrick Woods, and we love the area! We're now looking for a larger house with the same budget as yours (low $700Ks) in Merrick Woods. After living in the area for the last 3 years we'd never look anywhere else.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:00 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,541,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge13 View Post
Couldn't agree more. I currently live on the edge of Merrick Woods, and we love the area! We're now looking for a larger house with the same budget as yours (low $700Ks) in Merrick Woods. After living in the area for the last 3 years we'd never look anywhere else.
I agree! It would be on my shortlist if and when it's time for a larger home. One of the rare -nice- areas where you actually feel like you are getting something for your money.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:02 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,528,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
I agree! It would be on my shortlist if and when it's time for a larger home. One of the rare -nice- areas where you actually feel like you are getting something for your money.
It's quite nice, but hard to find solid houses there - the area isn't very big and they don't go on sale too often. Many are ranches with no basements, and others are very old homes with plaster walls and such that can be a bit of a maintenance chore. If you can find something there to your liking, it's a no-brainer. I hear Wantagh Woods is similar.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:35 PM

Just wanted to post a quick update!

The house search was quite an adventure! We looked in Garden City (top of our budget), Carle Place, RVC + North Merrick. We had it narrowed down to specific sections of Carle Place but due to low inventory there was not much to choose from. Unexpectedly, a home where we grew up popped up for sale in the EWSD which we have closed on.

Thanks for your input!

Old 08-18-2017, 07:42 PM

487 posts, read 546,480 times
Good luck!! Just curious, what town did you picked? I know the Wheatley School District covers several areas....parts of Mineola, East Williston, and parts of Roslyn Heights.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:58 AM

13,064 posts, read 18,182,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIHouseHunting View Post
Just wanted to post a quick update!

The house search was quite an adventure! We looked in Garden City (top of our budget), Carle Place, RVC + North Merrick. We had it narrowed down to specific sections of Carle Place but due to low inventory there was not much to choose from. Unexpectedly, a home where we grew up popped up for sale in the EWSD which we have closed on.

Thanks for your input!
Great choice, lucky you. I noticed it was a year between posts and was wondering if you can post how long the search took. As an old foggie who lived very nearby to you for my entire life, I see posters seemingly grab the first house they see. So how long did you look before this fell into your lap?

Old 08-21-2017, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two boys View Post
Good luck!! Just curious, what town did you picked? I know the Wheatley School District covers several areas....parts of Mineola, East Williston, and parts of Roslyn Heights.
It also covers parts of Albertson! We are Mineola, EWSD.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Great choice, lucky you. I noticed it was a year between posts and was wondering if you can post how long the search took. As an old foggie who lived very nearby to you for my entire life, I see posters seemingly grab the first house they see. So how long did you look before this fell into your lap?
We officially started seriously looking in October 2016. Extremely low inventory from then up until when we found our house- it wasn't easy. We put an offer down on ONE house before we found our home now. Though the selection did get better around Easter. It was a bit discouraging but allowed us to score our home now which we are very happy with!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island