Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 04:27 PM

405 posts, read 476,617 times

Advertisements

You are saying you want to be near a big city but dont want crowded highways and traffic. I dont know if you know this but the New York metro area is composed of over 20 million people, of which 3 million live in Nassau and Suffolk counties, and about 4.5 million live in Brooklyn and Queens, so geographic Long Island has about 7/7.5 million people. With that, there will be traffic.

You also said you don't like humid summers. In my opinion, Long Island summers are probably just as bad as summers in the south. I stayed with my relatives in southern Florida for 2 months (July and August) and found the humidity not much worse than how it is here. Also, the winters here can be rough. I remember two winters ago not being allowed to leave the house thats how bad it was, and snow was piled up all over the place taking up parking spots and causing an inconvenience for the next few days.

Also coming from a state like South Carolina, moving to New York will be a big financial shock for you. Our taxes and home prices are way above the national average, meanwhile yours are more on par with it.

Actually one of the biggest trends in this country we see right now is the next generation of New Yorkers moving down your way or out to other big cities with better weather/jobs/quality of life like Tampa, Raleigh, Phoenix, LA, San Jose, etc.

So if you like traffic, muggy summers and frigid winters, and don't mind the cost of living, then come on up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 12:22 PM

7 posts, read 10,890 times
I grew up on the Gold Coast of Long Island, it's beautiful and has a lot of history. Taxes are crazy and COL and traffic makes it unbearable. I would think you would want a more convenient way of life.
Many of my friends parents relocated once we were out of school.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:22 PM

718 posts, read 620,595 times
Stay in south carolina, this dump is definitely not sunshine and daisies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island