Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2016, 12:34 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
because I have family living on South 9th and jericho since way back when, and every time i go there to visit, i hear and see planes, that how I know first hand.

and was there a few weekends ago, there were planes landing at 22 at JFK.
so im not making this up as i go along.

I also have the flight tracks that when im home, i know exactly when my family are getting tortured.

so yeah, i can comment, because yeah, I do know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's south New Hyde Park right? NHP is fairly big, so it may depend where in it that you live where you may or may not notice it. I'm looking into North NHP, any significant airplane noise there?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 07:51 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
^ I guess there are different areas of NHP, so that I cannot answer honestly. my family live near the train tracks, 2 blocks away..............
and sometimes the plane loop is larger than other times, and sometimes the rotate runways. Go there, drive around............................

rught now, planes are landing at runway 4 to LGA, as I type this, every 30 seconds a plane fly's by and I see and hear it every 30 seconds, they have used runway 4 for 4 days in a row...........ugh !!!

30 years ago, we never had this..............................all we had was quiet.

LaGuardia Airport - AirportMonitor - by Megadata - powered by PASSUR

Old 10-06-2016, 04:09 PM

47 posts, read 45,133 times
I have a few friends in NHP- in general much of LI, and esp NHP, were all built in 1950-1960. Some older, some newer. Central is not common there but I have seen it- lots of Cape style house so it's not easy to add it. I've never seen a house in NHP with gas that was propane, there are lines all over there. I'm not saying it's not possible but I'd be VERY surprised. To convert depends on house and heating type. Since you already have the line at the house you are looking at that helps a bit but not necessarily as much as you might think. National Grid will run the line to your house for free (first 100 feet but in NHP it's a no brainer that you are 100 feet from the line). The cost is then getting it to your furnace. My friends converted 2 houses to gas. One was forced hot air and it was about 2500, the other was steam or hot water (I know there's a difference but I just can't remember what they have) and it was about 9000. 9,000 seems common from the 2 other friends I've spoken with who also converted. We have oil in our house and we've been told by a few that oil is actually cheaper- none of my friends agree and I have a hard time believing it but we aren't converting the furnace right now anyway. We were told that by our Realtor, the sellers Realtor and 2 or 3 furnace guys but they service oil or gas and aren't in sales so they get paid the same either way! Just putting that out there. We are getting gas for cooking bc electric is terrible! Good luck, it's a nice area.

As for the flight paths it does depend. There are a decent amount of planes by my friends who are close to Hillside and Lakeville road but it's not unbearable and they host a ton of BBQ. I'm not sure if you are closer to Herricks or Jericho SD.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,496 times
It's more than a shame and this summer will likely be the worst on record. The residents of Greenvale, Roslyn, Albertson, and New Hyde Park that have planes directly overhead live under the ILS instrument landing system approaches to Runway 22Left and 22R at JFK.

There is another option many don't know about which is using the VOR/DME approach into the same runway 22 Left with possible visuals or ILS approaches into 22Right during good weather . The VOR/DME route goes over East Williston, Williston Park, Mineola, and Garden City.

Finally create RNAV GPS routes over the south shore into 22L to spread out the noise even more.

Prior to 2012 when JFK arrived on 22L with takeoffs from 31L and LGA departed off runway 13, they would fly over flushing meadow park and gain altitude on a procedure called whitestone Climb. THIS WAS FOR NOISE ABATEMENT. SInce they created a new LOW ROUTE over bayside for takeoffs, (the one over flushing for the US OPEN AND ADDED precice Next Gen RNAV, JFK ALMOST ALWAYS uses the ILS into BOTH 22L and 22R over New Hyde Park. To submit a complaint go to

https://www.planenoise.com/panynj/daPRAbr9/qs114wbt.php
Select JFK put Too frequent and other comments. USE ANOTHER APPROACH TO 22L and 22R Besides the ILS.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:16 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Former Albertson resident here for almost 60 years. I guess it all comes down to what you want to allow to irritate you. We loved being in the flight path, we played games like read the tail number first with the neighbors kids. My first Communion movies in my yard, cut to a jet flying overhead.

I get only 2 military jets per week here and I miss them. Did they interrupt conversation sure but hey if that is all you have to complain about in life, congrats. I choose the sunny side of the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island