Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 04:10 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
Seriously.
Guess other poster feels it is perfectly fine to do that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 12:12 AM

Well. Here we go again. This was sent out to parents yesterday! This is getting way too common now.

At least they have a possible partial plate for this one. Right near Calhoun like the one the other day.

The following message was sent out by the Bellmore-Merrick Central High School District:
Hi-
I am very sad to report another case of a stranger approaching one of our students....
A female student walking on St. John Ave. was approached by a white car, possibly a Honda, with a possible partial plate number 7983. The driver, a male of light brown complexion in his 20s drove up slowly behind her and then stopped asking, "Do you need a ride?" Before the student could respond in any way, the car sped off. The incident was reported to the police. We have asked the police to increase patrols in the neighborhood.
Nicole Hollings
Calhoun High School
Principal

Old 09-23-2016, 08:09 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Guess other poster feels it is perfectly fine to do that...
I think that poster implied that the situation where male drivers are approaching students is the type of situation that isn't limited to just Merrick/Bellmore area. It happens in many other towns too, even the ones considered wealthier (it just may not be posted on social media or is kept hush hush). I don't really see a reason for arguing a whole town is "unsafe" just because of this incident either.

FWIW, same situation just happened in Levittown:

Levittown schools warn of stranger danger after student approached | Newsday

Old 09-23-2016, 08:19 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I think that poster implied that the situation where male drivers are approaching students is the type of situation that isn't limited to just Merrick/Bellmore area. It happens in many other towns too, even the ones considered wealthier (it just may not be posted on social media or is kept hush hush). I don't really see a reason for arguing a whole town is "unsafe" just because of this incident either.

Yes, exactly.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:26 AM

193 posts, read 271,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
I don't recall that. But the type of thing that happened last night has been reported a few other times past few weeks. And was a white van. Back in May same thing happened. But was reported to be a white pick-up truck. My husband is doing nightwatch for now. He will go out in the overnight hours for a few hours until he sees Newsday delivery guy & just drives around a small square area where we live. The South Bellmore Civic Association has block captains here. Someone just has to sign up for it & cover area surrounding their home. Been really quiet at night now.

But we are not near this incident I posted about. As it is in N. Merrick....exactly where the poster was asking about.
Wait, your husband goes and drives around the neighborhood in the middle of the night? For real?

I'd might move before I felt it necessary to do that.

Or… he could be spending his time elsewhere I suppose. (Only joking of course)

Old 09-23-2016, 10:33 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC.ONE View Post
Wait, your husband goes and drives around the neighborhood in the middle of the night? For real?

Thank goodness someone else said this..lol.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC.ONE View Post

LOL...no he is doing it. I actually go out with him many times. Can't hurt to have extra set of eyes. Besides I am an Insomniac anyway. By the time we come in I am really to just pass out pretty much. It is a very controlled small area he covers. So he really doesn't drive around per se. And you can too do this. Any area can do it. If you see any problems be proactive like we decided to be. Start a neighborhood watch. You would be surprised how many people would be interested in taking on some sort of very small job. Like just going over to the local park at certain set day & time to pick up garbage to things like my hubby does. Even the things that seem small & senseless do make a difference & bring the community together.

Communities have to work together if they want to preserve it. We can't complain about things like many people do all the time. And expect our politicians to help if we protest & complain. We learned a long time ago...politicians for the most part don't care. Community activists many times do a great job. But they too all have their hands tied. Look what it took for Brentwood to get extra patrols now. And even Guardian Angels stepped up. Sliwa is a really amazing guy. Met him many times years ago.

When you ask the police for extra patrols when things happen. You just about ALWAYS don't get it. Which is why after a many car break ins overnight & cops promising extra patrols & it was still happening we decided to take matters into our own hands. Since I am a night person & hubby was not presently working we decided we would do what others can't. Since we started there has not been 1 car break in on our block or in the vicinity to which we cover.

Just the other day we went over to a local park. There was a "THUG" like kid just hanging out smoking. We did NOT approach him for obvious safety reasons. But kids were playing. What many moms did was take pics of him & we called the police. Smoking is not permitted. So police officer asked him to leave. He was about 15 & looked like trouble. And then other moms did say they knew where he lived & that he has a rap sheet that is fairly big for a person his age.

What he was doing all the way over here on his bike in a park with little kids when he lives pretty far away to be coming on his bike is very questionable to say the least. Long bike ride. Not a safe on either.

So parents are NOT watching their kids. This kid lives in N. Bellmore & other people that knew him from past run ins know exactly where he lives. And he lives in "program housing" there.

But no way....we are NOT moving. Unless it is off LI. Do not wish to live anywhere else here on LI.

Especially now that all of LI.... Nassau & Suffolk are now designated FULL Sanctuary City status. This just happened in Oct. But took affect/enacted 2 weeks ago for Suffolk & in May for Nassau. So LI on a whole is going to get worse now. Will post new thread about that now with link.

Last edited by loribell38; 09-24-2016 at 01:01 AM..

Old 09-24-2016, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post

Yeah I heard about that one too. The other 2 I mentioned because the Media did not report them at all. And yes it is happening everywhere now. Look at the crap that is going on here on LI now. Lately many young kids are going missing. But mostly the only ones we seem to see on the news are Hempstead. Well it seems that way.

And no read his comment again. He clearly said this.So he is saying it is OK! That is what I get from Interlude's comment. The things we are dealing with now it not some catcalling! Kids are being abducted! Many not with good outcomes. You can not compare 20 yrs ago to today. And you can not compare catcalling to this in any way. Look at what is happening in Brentwood right now. Kids can't even safely be in their homes there! Feel so bad for ppl stuck there.

20 years ago some old perv in a car catcalling some girls wouldn't trigger a panic. People need to get some friggen perspective.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:58 PM

12 posts, read 14,615 times
Well we finally made the move and did go to South Merrick. So far we love it and everyone around us has been nice. Commute on the train is fine not much difference from Port Washington line some minor delays but nothing major. The only problem I have is that there doesn't seem to be any parking available at the Merrick station around 8-8:30am. I don't mind walking which I have done about 2-3 times so far but that's a good 35-40 min walk since it's about 2 miles. I'm not too familiar with how things are with street parking in the area but I've noticed some cars parked say about a mile from the train station which isn't bad I don't mine walking 10-15 to the train if I can leave it. I did not notice any signs or anything about a block south of merrick road or a block north of merrick road. It's not a bad walking distance from there to the train station a good 10 minute walk which I don't mine at all just want to make sure what the rules are for street parking.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:21 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Flood zone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island