Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 06:49 AM

755 posts, read 1,088,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Dumpster? Hell, 2 boxes of heavy duty contractor bags is all you need.
This is true. Actually, all you need to do is take out the toilet and shower. And use it as a closet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 03:14 PM

37 posts, read 45,773 times
So the plot thickens - they don't have a CO for the basement either. I want to redo the basement anyway, so does it really matter? The bank said they don't have an issue with not having a CO, as long as they don't have open permits. So the question is, if we close and get they keys and can I take out a permit to redo the basement and the basement bathroom? And then get a CO for that?

Old 11-04-2016, 05:48 PM

13,072 posts, read 18,305,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahm0277 View Post
So the plot thickens - they don't have a CO for the basement either. I want to redo the basement anyway, so does it really matter? The bank said they don't have an issue with not having a CO, as long as they don't have open permits. So the question is, if we close and get they keys and can I take out a permit to redo the basement and the basement bathroom? And then get a CO for that?
Sure, you apply for the permit and once completed they will send inspectors and if all is ok the CO will come your way. Just be sure that you plan for an egress window or door if it is heated and livable space or else you will be turned down.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:53 PM

592 posts, read 924,671 times
In my experience bathrooms are not generally listed on the CO. If the finished basement has a CO, then the bathroom should be fine, IMO. You can pull the CO at the town/village building department to confirm.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:18 PM

4 posts, read 3,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
As of date, almost everyone I know has a finished basement or an extra full bath in the basement, and not one has ever had a problem selling or buying their homes.

Only on C-D are there so many cases of, 'I know someone who couldn't get insurance cause of a bathroom in the basement' or I got charge millions cause all my neighbors basements got flooded because of my basement bathroom.

Now after being a home owner, I found out taxes go up a very small amount if everything was done with permits. So its kind of dumb not to get the C/O,unless your cutting a lot of corners (which makes you even dumber). I wouldn't let a bathroom stop you from buying a house you found that you actually like. The cost of demo'ing a bath is dinner for a friend, renting a dumpster and whatever your time is worth for a saturday afternoon.
Amen

Old 11-05-2016, 07:21 AM

22,765 posts, read 37,068,930 times
Quote:
Sounds like a good plan. If you can close with your lender and then get your own permits and CO it sounds like a win.

Old 12-18-2020, 01:37 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,439,530 times
Because you really want the house but the bathroom is making you hesitant, hire an inspector which you should do before you buy a house anyway.

Old 12-18-2020, 05:29 AM

1,309 posts, read 590,837 times
It has been my experience in the field that most lenders don't care unless there are open permits (obtained but never inspected or passed inspection) or some active investigation on the property due to a complaint or unresolved violation. They aren't checking approved plans against what is present in the house.

It would benefit you to obtain the latest approved plans from the jurisdiction so you can compare to what is in the house. From there, you'll know how much of a headache tou could be in for as far as legalizing the issues. If it's small, it could be worked out with escrow or a lower selling price. You don't want to be blind in this and end up with the code official there because someone who never cared to complain before alerts the town after the moving truck blocks his driveway for 12 minutes or some other petty reason.

Old 12-18-2020, 09:12 PM

29 posts, read 24,743 times
When we went through the process, my attorney called me and said the appraiser found a bathroom in the basement that did not appear in the title search, or something like that. Asked me if I wanted to get the seller to CO it, I told her don't worry about it because I the 1k Sq foot basement was also finished and that would open up another can of worms if an inspector went down there. At the end, bank didn't care either and now I have my own personal bathroom right next to my home office, where I've been stuck for the past 9 months.

Old 12-19-2020, 07:13 AM

3,319 posts, read 2,409,540 times
Quote:
I am looking to buy a house that has been listed as 4 BR/2 bath, but when I went to see it, it has a bathroom in the basement. I don't remember if it was functional, but I suspect that they don't have a CO for this.

So what is my option here? I mean, I can ask them to get a CO or I walk, but can they say something to the effect of - "well, that's why we listed it as a 2 bathroom" - as in, regardless, we should proceed like that bathroom doesn't exist? But then it has to be torn down/demolished, right?

And what is exactly needed to a get CO? Is it really as troublesome as I hear?
My understanding is that the house can not be listed as having additional bedrooms or bathrooms if they are not illegal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: