Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:27 AM

44 posts, read 205,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Kindergarten is NOT required by NYS law!

When NYS saw the need for full time Kindergarten , they offered schoold districts zero to low interest loans to build extra classrooms, equipement and staffing. If the district said no, like KP, they are now on their own to bond money for it.

Nowadays, Kindergarten teaches what I learned in 1st grade! Crazy!
KB I didn't know this. Is this true for all of NYS? I thought this was true for Pre-K only. Our Pre-K enrollment is usually low and I found out that some parents would enroll their kids in the day care centers because their hours were longer. It's usually those parents who cannot pick up their kids by 2:30.

I agree with what you said about Kindergarten teaching what you learned in 1st grade. I have kindergarten kids who are so ready for 1st grade already and 1st graders that are totally ready for 2nd grade. That's not the case for all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 09:30 AM

248 posts, read 873,090 times
I know Plainview-Old Bethpage district has full day as well. I think kindergarten should be mandated for the reasons stated above. The curriculum is unfortunately pushed down, and kids are seriously behind not attending.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:01 PM

175 posts, read 657,310 times
Actually every study I've seen shows that by the 2nd grade achievement tests there is NO difference in performance between districts with full day or half day kindergartens. It might be helpful for working parents, but for the childs overall academic future it means nothing.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:58 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,174 times
I could not disagree more. Children's learning abilities and capabilites are almost 100% fixed by the age of 6 or 7. So second grade testing for "content of material" may be the same but the abiltity to reason, adapt to a 2nd language, and the easy at which they learn is very different. Almost all the studies show the earlier kids are taught, the better they are prepared for future learning.

Not to mention that full time kindergarten teachers catch more learning diabilties and other learning issues with the children because they are with them longer. The quicker children get special services, the better they are to overcome these issues.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:49 AM

248 posts, read 873,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
I could not disagree more. Children's learning abilities and capabilites are almost 100% fixed by the age of 6 or 7. So second grade testing for "content of material" may be the same but the abiltity to reason, adapt to a 2nd language, and the easy at which they learn is very different. Almost all the studies show the earlier kids are taught, the better they are prepared for future learning.

Not to mention that full time kindergarten teachers catch more learning diabilties and other learning issues with the children because they are with them longer. The quicker children get special services, the better they are to overcome these issues.

Amen (from a kindergarten teacher!)

Old 03-03-2008, 09:31 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,174 times
From what I understand, it is all of NYS.....Kindergarten is recommended but not required. It would be interesting how many people don't send their kids to Kindergarten.....I'm sure its very low.......esspecially on LI

Old 03-06-2008, 09:14 AM

156 posts, read 451,084 times
Farmingdale, Half Hollow and Commack are full day

Deer Park schools I know are not full day yet, not sure of their timeline, if any.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:30 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,107,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo18 View Post
KB I didn't know this. Is this true for all of NYS? I thought this was true for Pre-K only. Our Pre-K enrollment is usually low and I found out that some parents would enroll their kids in the day care centers because their hours were longer. It's usually those parents who cannot pick up their kids by 2:30.

I agree with what you said about Kindergarten teaching what you learned in 1st grade. I have kindergarten kids who are so ready for 1st grade already and 1st graders that are totally ready for 2nd grade. That's not the case for all of them.
It is true. K is not required. What is even worse is some children come in as ESL and they enter at 1st grade, so you can imagine how far behind they are from children who speak English and who went to K and PreK.

It is very true, not required so half days still don't surprise me.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:55 PM

25 posts, read 105,058 times
Middle Country does, as does Sachem.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:40 AM

431 posts, read 1,338,018 times
West Islip is full day.......

I don't understand how at this time and age it isnt mandated.....my pre schooler who had no interest in his letters and numbers, writing etc (kinda scared me) since my other two we're able to read their abc's and this one didnt
went into prek in sept and had no clue and now he's right on mark....If he didnt attend in sept at 4 years I could only imagine where he'd be right now since he didnt want to work w/me on learning these things....but adapted and accepted the learning at school

so say if I were to keep him here for 2 years (pre k and kind) w/no formal schooling and then have him start at 1st grade.....Oh god......I couldnt even imagine the disaster....and how could they truly catch up.......

I understand that preschool isnt a must but I dont see how kindergarten isnt.....even the concept that some are still half vs full day still doesnt seem to allow the kids to start off on the same level

My older son was 1/2 day years ago and then my middle son was the first year of full day......what a difference......my middle guy was reading a book to the class by christmas in Kind and that definately had to do with the more time spent in school.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island