Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 06:10 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times

Advertisements

Article

More "colorful" article

Honestly I'm with the guy on this one. It fits fully within his property, and there's no rule against boats or RVs being stored in a driveway. Also I fail to see how this is a safety concern, despite what some people are complaining about.

Also lol at the comments in the second article,

Quote:
“The plane is an eyesore!” -Some guy who probably owns a Nissan Juke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 07:06 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
It may not be the actual "plane" in the driveway that is the problem, rather the potential for the plane to become something else that is. For example, a very, very large piece sculpture that he owner believes is art. We have become a country that thrives, not on what the laws say, but rather what they don't say and common sense has left the building.

I personally don't think a plane belongs on a driveway in a residential community, that is just my opinion, and it is based upon common sense. I don't believe that we need laws that state that a resident can park his plane in his driveway and I also don't believe that we can justify what is done, by saying it is ok because there is not a rule or law against it. In my mind, if the day comes that we do we are all in serious trouble, because that would border on a totalitarian like society.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:40 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,080 times
For the taxes we pay you should be able to park an aircraft carrier in your driveway if it fits. If my crappy boat bothers anyone, they are free to move to a better neighborhood, one with an HOA to protect their tender sensibilities and keep the look "uniform." For me, I like spirited individuality...have a plane, paint your home a gharish color...who cares, as long as there is some pride of ownership. That is more appealing than another stepford neighborhood of matching cookie cutter homes and Nimby queens screaming "da plane, da plane" like a suburban Herve Villechaize'.

Last edited by monstermagnet; 02-14-2017 at 08:43 AM..

Old 02-14-2017, 08:36 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times
The better question is whether he was really violating Building Safety Code by parking his airplane there. If he was, then it was a violation of law (whether right or wrong) and he should have removed it. I suspect that they were really stretching definitions beyond reason by applying it and that ultimately he will be vindicated, but I would have to see the specific codes on which the Town relied.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:08 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
"Last year, Guretzky...said he didn't have money to house the plane in a hangar. "

Yet: 1) He is commenting from outside the country; 2) He is threatening to sue for $5 million.

Sounds to me like his end game was to deliberately force the County's hand in order to profit from a lawsuit. This isn't a guy who simply couldn't afford hanger space.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:20 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
If you want to keep a plane on your driveway, live on an airstrip. As nuts said, common sense has left the building. We really need a law so people realize this isn't an option?? I must admit I would have liked to see the plane rolling a down a street in Oceanside to get to his house.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:25 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
If you want to keep a plane on your driveway, live on an airstrip. As nuts said, common sense has left the building. We really need a law so people realize this isn't an option??
Why not? People leave boats and RVs, which are often larger than a little Skyhawk, in their driveways all the time just fine. Are you going to tell boat owners they should live in a marina, or RV owners they should live in a campground?

What exactly is the difference, and why should his usage of his own property be restricted in this manner?

Old 02-14-2017, 11:21 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
You're all racist plane hating nazi's!

Old 02-14-2017, 11:34 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,080 times
When I finish building my tank, it's going in the driveway...but I'll paint a peace sign on it. Flip flopper.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:45 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Why not? People leave boats and RVs, which are often larger than a little Skyhawk, in their driveways all the time just fine. Are you going to tell boat owners they should live in a marina, or RV owners they should live in a campground?

What exactly is the difference, and why should his usage of his own property be restricted in this manner?
The RV can be driven right out of the driveway to be used. The boat is usually towed to a nearby marina or boat launch....most people who have a boat in their driveway live very close to the water. What is this guy gonna do, taxi down Long Beach Rd and takeoff over Oil City?

Even monstermagnet's tank has a better use from his home. He can run over all the development-hating NIMBYs he hates so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island