Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 03:50 PM

5 posts, read 6,746 times

Advertisements

Daughter is a young widow who came to live back home with her two small children-not school age yet. She is a tenured Nassau County teacher and can survive well living with me. Thinking long term I have my concerns for them surviving financially on Long Island on one salary even though the job is a good one and comes with the pension/ health benefits. Here's the question: If you were offered a new house with NO mortgage in a state with a better climate and top notch schools (ranked nationally as high or higher than Long Island) would you leave this position at $100k for one that is $52K? Keep in mind she has locked up a small pension and the new property taxes would be $2800 and lower utility bills. I am thinking of her long term sustainability vs retirement. It's a difficult choice and could use advice/thoughts from those who live here. Thanks in advance for any posts. Want to make this decision before kids start a school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 04:43 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,531,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI2FLA View Post
Daughter is a young widow who came to live back home with her two small children-not school age yet. She is a tenured Nassau County teacher and can survive well living with me. Thinking long term I have my concerns for them surviving financially on Long Island on one salary even though the job is a good one and comes with the pension/ health benefits. Here's the question: If you were offered a new house with NO mortgage in a state with a better climate and top notch schools (ranked nationally as high or higher than Long Island) would you leave this position at $100k for one that is $52K? Keep in mind she has locked up a small pension and the new property taxes would be $2800 and lower utility bills. I am thinking of her long term sustainability vs retirement. It's a difficult choice and could use advice/thoughts from those who live here. Thanks in advance for any posts. Want to make this decision before kids start a school.
Very simple. That's almost a 50k pay cut. Does it cost 50k per year ($4,000+ per month) to live here?

I have a friend who did make the same move. Almost the same figures too. I gave them the SAME senecio I just gave you. They now tell me "It was cheaper to stay on L.I."
They moved to FL

Old 04-13-2017, 05:14 PM

245 posts, read 319,892 times
She's a teacher with a pension here? Hang on for dear life!

As a previous poster noted, are you really saving 50k per year elsewhere? Doesn't seem worth it at all.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:30 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
If she wasn't living with you how much would she be spending a year on housing and child care?
Are there any reasons why she can't survive on her own on Long Island making 100K a year?

Old 04-13-2017, 05:40 PM

155 posts, read 174,440 times
If it were me, i would stay...unless I had a support system in the new area. She's already here and established, and with two small children, no money in the world would make me leave and go somewhere else by myself just because it sounds good on paper!

Old 04-13-2017, 05:52 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Not worth it, should stay on LI.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:56 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Stay and marry for money like everyone else.
It all evens out in the end.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:47 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
My biggest question is there any reason she can't live with you for the foreseeable future? Leave the kids out of it. Kids are resilient and can be relocated later if the need really arises. If it were me I'd take the free place to live and save my money, especially the raises she gets every year and maximize my pension. It sounds like you want her gone though...not that I blame you, you raised your kids. Is that what's really going on here?

What's her interest in the place with the job offer? Does she really want to live there? Know anyone there? etc etc.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:25 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Honestly she would be crazy to leave a tenured LI teacher position. The benefits are incredible, guaranteed pension, and step raises up the wazoo. Nothing in Florida, hell the whole country, will compare to what LI teachers get.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:05 PM

5 posts, read 6,746 times
Just want to say you guys are great! Loved all your answers. I am thinking ahead for when I am no longer here is all. I thought getting her into a house of her own and lowering her overhead would help them out. Most of her friends went out of state to college and stayed there and many to warmer climes. Of course some could not find a teaching job here or that was not their career goal. I have actually had spoken to Nassau cops who have considered moving too! Salaries great but for how long as cost of living is high and quality of life counts too. (I know I was surprised to hear that) I am actually pretty selfless as I am the babysitter and, yes, my own retirement plans are on hold but those little faces are worth it. I would relocate nearby them if they left. My hope for her kids is that they could have a "Dad" one day but I don't know if any guy would take a young family on, here on Long Island, as they are trying to scrape by themselves very often. In the meantime I am getting faster at putting stuff together! Hotkarl you are too funny. And Twingles I personally have always loved NC, so very easy to travel from end to end. Many of my friends have moved there and yes some came halfback from Florida! LOL Well I will let her know your opinions for sure and it does help so I thank you. If anyone else wants to join in please do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island