Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 09:26 AM

20,319 posts, read 21,159,972 times

Advertisements

Not sure about Suffolk but in Nassau if the budget fails they'll have a revote and many times it passes on the revote due to fear mongering. The kids will suffer, cut programs, taxes will skyrocket under the contingency budget, etc...employees never get touched though. The kids can suffer but not the employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 09:27 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,382,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
I thought about doing just that last year.

I received a notice from the district. It outlined budget amounts - previous, current proposed and austerity (if current budget did not pass). I still don't understand how, but the "austerity" number was _lower_ than the proposed budget.

Of course, all options resulted in a year over year increase. You can't win. We only get to vote on a small percentage of the actual budget. The vast majority of spending is already set.

The other problem with voting it down.. they keep submitting essentially the same budget. Sooner or later, the snowbird retirees head to Florida and then they put the _real_ budget up for vote to guarantee its passage. School districts have been playing that game for a very long time.
The "austerity" budget is lower and they usually threaten to -

1) move to half day kindergarten so the new and prospective parents vote for the budget

2) remove middle school enrichment programs so that elementary parents vote for the budget

3) remove high school sports and music so that middle school and high school parents vote for the budget.

After all, "it's for the kids".

Old 05-05-2017, 09:48 AM

2,697 posts, read 2,366,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
The difference between NC and Westchester is only a few bucks.
I looked at a few towns in Westchester w/ basically the same home prices, school ratings and commute times. The Westchester properties had 12-14k sq ft lots compared to the 10-12k I saw on LI. The taxes on 550k-700k homes in Westchester consistently had taxes 3-4k more than the homes LI had.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:23 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,558,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The "austerity" budget is lower and they usually threaten to -

1) move to half day kindergarten so the new and prospective parents vote for the budget

2) remove middle school enrichment programs so that elementary parents vote for the budget

3) remove high school sports and music so that middle school and high school parents vote for the budget.

After all, "it's for the kids".

Yes, that's how it normally works. In the case I pointed to from last year, the austerity budget was HIGHER than the proposed budget. The numbers were all pretty close that the difference wasn't significant, but austerity was still higher. Kind of makes you want to vote "yes" as the next budget might be even higher.

Either way, my taxes still went up and continue to do so every year. Just paid my 2nd half tax bill and it made me sick.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:32 PM

19,336 posts, read 17,283,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I looked at a few towns in Westchester w/ basically the same home prices, school ratings and commute times. The Westchester properties had 12-14k sq ft lots compared to the 10-12k I saw on LI. The taxes on 550k-700k homes in Westchester consistently had taxes 3-4k more than the homes LI had.
And yet those on the Westchester board don't seem to have any heart burn with their tax obligation, or if they do their not posting their complaints online.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:39 PM

34,168 posts, read 47,663,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
And yet those on the Westchester board don't seem to have any heart burn with their tax obligation, or if they do their not posting their complaints online.
Why do you think? I've noticed this too. That forum does receive considerably less traffic than the LI one does, however.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-06-2017, 09:44 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,919,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Why do you think? I've noticed this too. That forum does receive considerably less traffic than the LI one does, however.
As a county resident, most people I have come across in real life (and some in the forums like kletterman, dr. strangeglove, AliciaN etc) are not entirely pleased with the high taxes, but feel like they're getting their money's worth net of everything.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:07 PM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 539,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
As a county resident, most people I have come across in real life (and some in the forums like kletterman, dr. strangeglove, AliciaN etc) are not entirely pleased with the high taxes, but feel like they're getting their money's worth net of everything.
kletterman lived in Pound Ridge. You do realize that average bread winner can't afford to live there, right? There's no justification in making people pay high school taxes because it is the issue. Most money is mismanaged, misappropriated and spend on silly projects and hardly ever on students.It's not the state, local, sales etc. taxes.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:23 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,919,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iching View Post
kletterman lived in Pound Ridge. You do realize that average bread winner can't afford to live there, right? There's no justification in making people pay high school taxes because it is the issue. Most money is mismanaged, misappropriated and spend on silly projects and hardly ever on students.It's not the state, local, sales etc. taxes.
Jinjila owned a million dollar home in larchmont. AliciaN lives in katonah. dma lives in Huntersville. Many households in westchester do not represent the average household and that is the underlying factor.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:36 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,258,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iching View Post
..and don't forget Wading River's "educational" senior trip to Disney World, paid by the taxpayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island