Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 07:19 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock501 View Post
Is that top third of Baiting Hollow some sort of secret underwater community?

Certain communities (typically via their school districts) made application to the New York State Secretary of State to have the right to include the immediate offshore area as part of their real property tax base just in case should anyone build anything in that offshore area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 09:23 AM

6 posts, read 28,825 times
If I HAD to live in Riverhead-I would kill myself. I absolutely HATE Riverhead. I worked there for ten plus years and for all of the years the town members kept saying they were improving the town, ridding the streets of gangs...take a ride around 10 or 11 at night on a summer night (make sure you are in your bullet proof car)
the town is riddled with gang members, crack whores, and no this is not a racial thing, thing is people of all shapes, sizes, colors, etc. the town is garbage, the main street that they have been fixing up for over ten years is riddled with closed down low end stores and horrible food, only thing good about riverhead is the outlets ( and the kind of suck too)

Old 04-25-2008, 10:28 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times
Downtown Riverhead is a Barrio, I dont feel safe walking there anytime, even in the middle of the day. By the train station the smell of urine is unbearable, always groups of illegals hanging out, last time I was there some guy actually picked up a few!
Route 58 is better, but I see illegals and other unsavorory characters over there too (esp by TJ Maxx). Also it was in the news that the CVS on Rt.58 had an armed robbery, the showed the video, about 5 thugs entered the store at night.
Riverhead is another town that is out of touch. Their police department is just about useless, I think they only have 10 units (should be 50).
The Suffolk Sherriff's dept helps out but it's not enough. Riverhead needs to expand and modernize it's police dept, clean up the vagrants from downtown and re-develop it.
There are other downtowns that work well, Port Jeff, Northport,etc. Granted they didn't have a 3 mile long strip mall open next to it though. The whole way route 58 was redeveloped helped sink downtown. People hit 58 first and just stay there and dont go downtown.
The downtown should've been redeveloped BEFORE any new stores on route 58. And what should've been built on rt.58 should have been much smaller in scale. Those open fields should have been preserved. I remember in the 80s how much more "out there" Riverhead felt and I sure do miss that.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:31 PM

172 posts, read 292,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
For those who may not be familiar with Aquebogue:

Aquebogue is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the southeast part of the Town of Riverhead, in the northeast part of Suffolk County. (Aquebogue, along with the Hamlet of Jamesport and the Hamlet of Laurel in the Town of Southold, was once part of the no-longer Hamlet of Franklinville.)

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Aquebogue in the Town of Riverhead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet Northville; on the east by the Hamlet of Jamesport; on the south by the Great Peconic Bay; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Riverhead.

The Hamlet of Aquebogue has a different border than does the "Aquebogue, NY 11931" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Aquebogue, NY 11931" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Aquebogue and a place can have other than a "Aquebogue, NY 11931" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Aquebogue): places that have a "Aquebogue, NY 11931" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Aquebogue are in the Hamlet of Riverhead and the Hamlet of Jamesport; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Aquebogue with a "Riverhead, NY 11901" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Thanks for the map! I KNEW the Highlands development wasn't really in Aquebogue nor are some houses listed west of 105 or off Hubbard.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Your wish is my command ...

For those who may not be familiar with Baiting Hollow:

Baiting Hollow is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the north-central part of the Town of Riverhead, in the northeast part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Baiting Hollow in the Town of Riverhead is bordered on the north by Long Island Sound; on the east by the Hamlet of Riverhead; on the south by the Hamlet of Riverhead and the Hamlet of Calverton; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Wading River.

Baiting Hollow is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name as part of their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of Baiting Hollow have a "Calverton, NY 11903" and "Riverhead, NY 11901" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

LOL thank you again! As a real estate agent, I'm always amazed at all the listings in "Baiting Hollow". Most are in Calverton. This does not fool anyone.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Riverhead is another town that is out of touch. Their police department is just about useless, I think they only have 10 units (should be 50)..

About 15 years ago the head of the police department was quoted in the Sunday LI section of the NY times. Something to the effect of "everyone thinks there is a lot of loitering on Main street, but it is just people hanging around." If the head of the PD doesn't know the definition of loitering, I don't know what use he is.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:50 AM

140 posts, read 605,997 times
Quote:
Downtown Riverhead is a Barrio, I dont feel safe walking there anytime, even in the middle of the day. By the train station the smell of urine is unbearable, always groups of illegals hanging out, last time I was there some guy actually picked up a few!
Route 58 is better, but I see illegals and other unsavorory characters over there too (esp by TJ Maxx). Also it was in the news that the CVS on Rt.58 had an armed robbery, the showed the video, about 5 thugs entered the store at night.
Riverhead is another town that is out of touch. Their police department is just about useless, I think they only have 10 units (should be 50).
The Suffolk Sherriff's dept helps out but it's not enough. Riverhead needs to expand and modernize it's police dept, clean up the vagrants from downtown and re-develop it.
There are other downtowns that work well, Port Jeff, Northport,etc. Granted they didn't have a 3 mile long strip mall open next to it though. The whole way route 58 was redeveloped helped sink downtown. People hit 58 first and just stay there and dont go downtown.
The downtown should've been redeveloped BEFORE any new stores on route 58. And what should've been built on rt.58 should have been much smaller in scale. Those open fields should have been preserved. I remember in the 80s how much more "out there" Riverhead felt and I sure do miss that.
I know this is late in posting, but I just came across this forum and read your previous post regarding the pine barrens and Riverhead proposed ski development. I agree with everything you wrote. Took a drive down Main Street in Riverhead yesterday and realized one thing - greed is the driving force of development; the people living in the area are never a consideration; there simply is NO preplanning of the consequences of any new development project, including malls such as Tanger Outlet which obviously devastated a once appealing and thriving Main Street. Both shopping venues can exist since people prefer shopping options, but why can't it be done in a way that is not so destructive? This is not progress but then again perhaps it is, and we never truly understood the meaning of the word.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:32 PM

9 posts, read 67,425 times
North of Sound Avenue!

Old 12-10-2008, 05:43 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times
The ZTZ is a joke, I saw 30 day laborers loitering by the train station the other day!

Old 12-10-2008, 06:45 PM

220 posts, read 1,118,918 times
Quote:
The ZTZ is a joke, I saw 30 day laborers loitering by the train station the other day!
I don't know what you saw because I rarely go to the train station and haven't been in awhile, but the train station is not within the zero tolerance area. The new zero tolerance zone, which I think is a great idea, runs from West Main St (I believe the corner of the library and W Main) to East Main (I believe the corner of Howell and E Main). This is the area that is considered the business district and colloquially referred to as "downtown" - not the train station. Main Street runs along the Peconic River.

Also, Riverhead is not a "barrio." It is a lovely town in which people vacation, have second homes, live and enjoy the light, the air quality, and many other things the east end offers. I love it here. I realize you're a glass-half-empty kind of person, but Riverhead has beautiful and fantastic areas already, now. I agree with some of what you wrote in this thread - clearly it's true the downtown needs work that hasn't yet happened. But I firmly believe in the 'gentrification' of Riverhead - I mean, that it will and has begun to happen. I know this is a cool (hip) place in so many ways, a fantastic place, and in an ideal location. It's got so much to offer - too much to go into in such a short post. We chose to live here and are quite bummed to be considering moving. Sure, stand by the train station and look around for something unsavory; you'll see it. Walk a couple of blocks or drive a bit and you'll see much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island