Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 03:55 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilena78 View Post
Thank you for your suggestion.
It is very tough to find a non-GC house w/ GC schools. It seems to be one of the few areas on LI where the town borders actually match the SD pretty well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 10:54 PM

24 posts, read 109,275 times
Default Stewart Manor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilena78 View Post
Thank you for your suggestion.
Stewart Manor does not go to GC, only like 4 houses. The rest go to Elmont which is ROUGH. People concerned about the schools who live in Stewart Manor are better off sending their kids to private schools.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:03 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,884 times
Default A little exaggerated

Quote:
Originally Posted by queencat95 View Post
Stewart Manor does not go to GC, only like 4 houses. The rest go to Elmont which is ROUGH. People concerned about the schools who live in Stewart Manor are better off sending their kids to private schools.
Although it is only a portion of the village there are more than 4 houses that go to GC. If the OP does not have to be in a house anytime soon they could very well find something over the next 6-9 months that pops up in the market.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:42 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Although it is only a portion of the village there are more than 4 houses that go to GC. If the OP does not have to be in a house anytime soon they could very well find something over the next 6-9 months that pops up in the market.
I am not sure how many there are, and GC is famous for not putting a whole lot on MLS, but there is currently 1 house in the GC SD that is not in GC. IT says Elmont, for $499K, but if you look at the map there is NO WAY THIS IS GC.

There are 7 houses in SM, all Elmost SD. There is one that's on Stewart Ave, 2 blocks from teh GC border, and it's Elmont.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,065 times
Default You might want to try.....

Other areas you might want to look at which are close to Garden City are Williston Park ( Herricks School District) and the part of Mineola in the East Willsiton School Distict.Both areas are very nice and are in your price range, and both school districts are just as good if not better than Garden City.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:08 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,096,399 times
There are new construction condos that are about 1200 square feet with 2 bedrooms in nearby Westbury. They are right next to the post office with 2 car garages. Prices are around $475.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:23 PM

4 posts, read 26,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I agree, Stewart Manor is a very good deal although a tiny village, so it might be hard to find something there solely for lack of properties. I'm also pretty sure that most of Stewart Manor goes to Elmont schools, which aren't as good as Garden City Schools if you're concerned about that.

There are two 3BR townhouses on MLSLI in Garden City for under $500k, and the taxes are under $6k...I'm pretty sure I know where this is and if I'm correct you can walk to the County Life Press LIRR station from it:
MLSLI.com - Find a Home

Out of those places listed, I think you might do best in Floral Park if you want an actual house. It's also a very nice area, not quite as upscale as Garden City, but has an even quicker train ride into Manhattan. New Hyde Park, Mineola and Garden City Park are also good bets (in that order). Garden City South and Elmont are kinda far from the LIRR. Definitely not walking distance.

Depends on what you call walking distance. I'm in GCS and walk to the LIRR every day, twice a day - it's about a 1/2 mile for me - could be less if you are closer to GC border. Not ideal but have no choice as GC won't allow us to park at station.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:08 PM

4 posts, read 14,046 times
If you want a condo, there are several in Garden City proper. Check out Taylorwarner.com -- the major real estate agency for the village. The Wyndham, Hampshire House, and 99 Seventh Street all have nice ones. There are also co-ops. Garden City is the most affluent of the towns you mention. It's hard to tell whether $450-500,000 will get you what you want. Because there are so many properties on the market right now, it might. But Garden City holds its value better than the other towns. Mineola is really the only other town with a substantial number of condos. If you really want a house, though, forget Garden City at that price range. It's virtually impossible to find anything.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:50 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
You may want ot look at Merrick or Wantagh......more in your price range and very close to the LIRR.
I agree...although not particularly close to Garden City, where she is looking.

What about the Salisbury area of Westbury?

yeah sorry you def. can't get anything "good" in Garden City for the price range you're looking at, and if you do find something, it might actually be in Hempstead or some other undesirable area.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:54 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
What about the Salisbury area of Westbury?
While the Hamlet of Salisbury in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County, is almost all in the "Westbury, NY 11590" ZIP Code postal zone (a very tiny area is in the "Levittown, NY 11756" ZIP Code postal zone), it is not in the Village of Westbury, which is in the Town of North Hempstead, Nassau County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island