Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2017, 04:55 PM

20,062 posts, read 20,872,330 times

Advertisements

Upstate is awesome. So many hidden gems.
Nobody wants to go because "it's too cold" wahhh...
Everybody wants to run down south to the land of eternal sunshine.
Whatever, that's fine. But many people could be missing out by immediately dismissing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 09:03 PM

418 posts, read 367,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Upstate is awesome. So many hidden gems.
Nobody wants to go because "it's too cold" wahhh...
Everybody wants to run down south to the land of eternal sunshine.
Whatever, that's fine. But many people could be missing out by immediately dismissing it.
I agree dude. When I'm old, I won't even leave my house. I'll live in a condo with maintenance (snow removal) taken care of and just straight Netflix and chill for days can't wait tbh.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:03 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,847,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Schmitters View Post
Don't you think your second sentence contradicts the third? Just watched 2 more houses in Nassau FLY off the shelf at "well above" ask. Both capes on the south shore that went for over 5 I don't care. It won't make me spend more than it's worth to me.

The biggest problem is supply. All it'll take is one mass exodus once the boomers start migrating South, and I swoop in to buy the house next to you at a better deal
How is it that such an expert continues to put so much attention on an asking price?

Old 09-29-2017, 02:19 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,871,249 times
interesting convo OP, but having been through the San Francisco market and the recession of 2008( which didn't touch our property/ aside from its appreciation slowing for that time period)- I believe that very desirable areas, may just flat line even in a "down market" and NEVER actually go down. You are forgetting it's a global buyers market and what is expensive to Americans is cheap for other investors...

Old 09-29-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
I believe that very desirable areas, may just flat line even in a "down market" and NEVER actually go down.
I don't disagree with that (or at least that it's a strong possibility), but even so I do believe the two factors that will change in a buyer's favor are: competition (other buyers) and inventory. So while a moderately decent house in a desirable area may be 550K now, there may only be 1-2 of them per week in that area and 40 buyers trying to get in, hence a bidding war. If prices flat line, conditions for buyers will still improve when there's more supply and / or less demand. That buyer can get the 550K house for, get this, 550K! Instead of 575K + like what's happening now.

Update my peeps: it's getting cooler out, which means my home search can heat up! Even if the less ideal weather conditions of the coming weeks/months only knock out a couple of perspective buyers, every little bit helps.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:07 AM

11,642 posts, read 12,715,051 times
It's not the cooler weather which will knock out a couple of perspective buyers, but the school calendar. The peak season for buying is late Feb.- early May, allowing a cushion for transaction issues. Most people want to be in their new dwelling before school starts right after Labor Day.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:19 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,521,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
interesting convo OP, but having been through the San Francisco market and the recession of 2008( which didn't touch our property/ aside from its appreciation slowing for that time period)- I believe that very desirable areas, may just flat line even in a "down market" and NEVER actually go down. You are forgetting it's a global buyers market and what is expensive to Americans is cheap for other investors...
OP is on such a shoestring budget that a tiny price drop is a BIG BARGAIN LOL CYA LATER SUCKAS situation.

Four years from now, housing market levels off. OP swoops in and buys a cape in North Bellmore for 5k below asking but at a higher interest rate and after wasting years in rent and interest rate increases.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:24 AM

67 posts, read 74,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interlude View Post
op is on such a shoestring budget that a tiny price drop is a big bargain lol cya later suckas situation.

Four years from now, housing market levels off. Op swoops in and buys a cape in north bellmore for 5k below asking but at a higher interest rate and after wasting years in rent and interest rate increases.

+1!

Old 09-29-2017, 12:59 PM

245 posts, read 320,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
OP is on such a shoestring budget that a tiny price drop is a BIG BARGAIN LOL CYA LATER SUCKAS situation.

Four years from now, housing market levels off. OP swoops in and buys a cape in North Bellmore for 5k below asking but at a higher interest rate and after wasting years in rent and interest rate increases.
5k below 4-years-from-now's ask, but 75k over TODAY's ask.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blernard View Post
5k below 4-years-from-now's ask, but 75k over TODAY's ask.
Wait a minute wait a minute...I thought we couldn't predict the market?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island