Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2017, 06:38 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,546,713 times

Advertisements

Fairly sure Westchester is in the same exact situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 06:52 AM

418 posts, read 367,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Implicate13 View Post
The prevalence of dual income households is a big driver of house prices. So in essence you can thank the Woman's movement for the increase in housing prices. Sure there are other factors but when your household income doubles, its inevitable that housing will rise.
Hahahaha yeah, if women didn't have the right to vote and do something other than cook for you, the world would be a much better place.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Then go to the Jersey and Westchester forums and peddle your big ideas there. You’re getting good advice and responding with obnoxious snark at this point; obviously you’ve deemed yourself correct and are now trying to avoid the cognitive dissonance of contrary evidence. Yawn. Sorry you can’t afford it here, hon! I’m sure there’s a charming fixer upper by the runway at Teterboro that’s more in your price range.

I didn't ask advice. If you were good at reading, you'd know this thread was directed at buyers; not sellers, agents and onlookers (I have a strong feeling those with a reaction such as yours are likely in the former two categories) Life lesson: unsolicited advice will result in snark. Scare tactics aimed at buyers trying to convince them to buy in a sellers market "or else" they'll never be home owners, accompanied by doom and gloom projections, forecasts and contradictory statements ("although no one can predict the market to save their lives, you'll def lose out if you don't buy today"), are not helpful nor are they intended to be. While I don't expect prices to ever fall, I do expect eventually the market will neutralize and buyers will be able to get a house at asking price contingent on an inspection. Today the only people getting houses are going above ask with no contingencies, aka they're idiots. Your classist drivel is just another reason to abandon LI, but I'm keeping all options open at this point.

Oh and I'd love to see this "contrary evidence" you claim has been presented. Where, let us all gaze upon it!

Last edited by Abby Schmitters; 09-27-2017 at 07:51 AM..

Old 09-27-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Fairly sure Westchester is in the same exact situation.
ATM, yes. Nothing lasts forever.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
So, you are not ready to buy and may even buy in other areas, so I would respectfully suggest that you are voicing YOUR opinion and you are entitled to do so, but calling out others opinions is not cool.
It is. It's called a discussion. I get that you're probably agents that don't want info out there that will discourage people from buying because that's how you make money, or you're someone who just bought a cape for over 500K and you don't want to be reminded of how foolish that was, but this is the internet. You can't censor it. And can we stop with the shaming tactics that I'm unable to afford to buy a home? That isn't true. Between my husband and I, we have the down payment, the household income and the credit to get a 600K loan (and we are pre approved despite speculation on the other board that we're not). We want to come in under budget, around 500K. And I'm not going to spend 500K on a house that I could've gotten for 480 in another market. I'd rather go without it than do that.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJS Alex View Post
Lady, I sure hope you wind up in Jersey or Westchester...
Oooh we got a LI lifer here

Old 09-27-2017, 07:17 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,798,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Implicate13 View Post
The prevalence of dual income households is a big driver of house prices. So in essence you can thank the Woman's movement for the increase in housing prices. Sure there are other factors but when your household income doubles, its inevitable that housing will rise.
Right, blame women making a living for the high costs around here. It has nothing at all to do with bloated public sector salaries, benefits, pension obligations, redundant layers of govenment and the political corruption tax.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:25 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Schmitters View Post
Oh okay, derp derp, better go buy a cape at $565K #gtfo #nicetry.

No surprise everyone has overlooked my willingness to buy in Jersey or Westchester.
I haven't. I don't understand why you haven't focused on NJ given you're not very fond of the inventory available in Westchester.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:43 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,827,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Schmitters View Post
I didn't ask advice. If you were good at reading, you'd know this thread was directed at buyers; not sellers, agents and onlookers (I have a strong feeling those with a reaction such as yours are likely in the former two categories) Life lesson: unsolicited advice will result in snark. Scare tactics aimed at buyers trying to convince them to buy in a sellers market "or else" they'll never be home owners, accompanied by doom and gloom projections, forecasts and contradictory statements ("although no one can predict the market to save their lives, you'll def lose out if you don't buy today"), are not helpful nor are they intended to be. While I don't expect prices to ever fall, I do expect eventually the market will neutralize and buyers will be able to get a house at asking price contingent on an inspection. Today the only people getting houses are going above ask with no contingencies, aka they're idiots. Your classist drivel is just another reason to abandon LI, but I'm keeping all options open at this point.
Actually, you started out with a solid premise and led a good convo, then you went defensive troll and now no one gives a fat rats azz what you do or think. Everyone who pays over asking is an idiot to you (your words). WTF is that?! You're wrong and rude. Tell us how your big rental strategy makes you the arbiter of value buying...we're all fascinated...none of us EVER contemplated rent vs buy. We just opened our veins and slapped down top dollar on a house.

News flash for ya. LI RE market never "neutralizes." It pumps and dumps...then flippers go nuts, NYC fatigue buyers gear up to get out of NYC and the cycle repeats, with different demographics each time. The only neutralizing of the monthly nut is tax challenges.

Besides that, inflated RE is a national problem. That spilt by the airport in teterboro is 20% above market now too so best of luck in Westchester (I could buy a $800k mini mansion in Montebello w good schools...if i want to pay $40k taxes on it)...and Jersey the same. Austin TX and Parkland FL homes now over $600k with $8k taxes. Stock and RE bubble? Sounds like 2007. Nothing will neutralize. It will crash and start again. Then you can get in and buy a dozen houses and be a slumlord. IF you have oodles of cash, cause there wont be any credit flowing.

So keep renting and saving and you too can own an overpriced LI 80x100sf estate! You just can't put a price on a big, clean Target with e-z parking!

Old 09-27-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I haven't. I don't understand why you haven't focused on NJ given you're not very fond of the inventory available in Westchester.
Very simple answer for that. My MIL lives in Jersey I'm still open to it if high prices and low inventory persist in LI and WC longer than NJ and we're pushed into it, but I'd prefer the space from her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island