Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 03:04 PM

412 posts, read 289,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
And now instead of using those plastic grocery bags for dog poop, wet clothing after a day at the pool/beach/overnight trip, bagging up super smelly grocery, dirty diapers, bagging my kids' rooms' garbage cans, and all the other things I use those bags for....people will go out and buy plastic bags. Pure genius.
Why would people go out and buy bags as a result of this law? If they still want the bags for those uses you mention, wouldn't they just pay the 5 cents at the supermarket? Where would they go buy bags at a cheaper cost than 5 cents each? Please answer this question directly. You posited a cause and effect. You state that charging 5 cents per bag at the supermarket will cause people to go out and buy plastic bags elsewhere. Why? Where? And at what cost per bag?

Other thoughts.. (separate, so as not to detract from the above. Looking to see what twingles' logic there is...and also those who seemingly agreed).

The new law sounds ridiculous on the surface, but if you think about it for a bit (it's hard, I know), it does kind of make sense. Incentivize an environmentally friendly practice with a truly nominal fee.

On the other hand, they could have incentivized the reusable bags by giving a discount to those who use them. But, I see that the store keeps the $$, and it covers their cost for the bags I believe. Makes sense.

If you really take a step back and think about it, and forget for a moment that we're just used to using disposable bags every time we shop...it makes so much more sense to use a re-usable bag. It's such a waste...other than the few we keep in the home for dog poop, small trash cans, whatever. Do you use a disposable purse every day? Disposable backpack for school? If you look at it objectively, it's kind of a weird practice that stores give customers a disposable vessel to transport their goods home. Should the store provide a disposable car to bring your goods home in?

At the end of the day, if you shop once a week and use 10 bags, that's 50 cents...or $26 per year. If it motivates some people to use reusable bags, that's not so bad. I hate the idea of the middle class being hit up for more $$, but this one seems largely a symbolic burden moreso than a real burden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 03:46 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Reusable bags make sense until something like meat or milk leaks into it and you don't catch it right away. Don't ask me how I know...

Old 01-04-2018, 03:55 PM

20,048 posts, read 20,855,965 times
No bags.
We just toss the stuff back into the cart.
Eff “the man”.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:02 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
How will this new generated money be used to protect environment? That is important here.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:57 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
If people didn't litter, but properly dispose of unneeded bags, etc. there would be no need for this.

No, I don't like to pay an extra 5 cents (and I won't), but let's look at the reason behind this...

Old 01-04-2018, 05:03 PM

67 posts, read 73,974 times
Why should we have more government regulations telling us what we should do? I never litter with the plastic bags, why should I be subject to new rules because some people are not responsible?

Old 01-04-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirios View Post
Why should we have more government regulations telling us what we should do? I never litter with the plastic bags, why should I be subject to new rules because some people are not responsible?
C’mon. US has been trending Communist since WWII.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:45 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles08 View Post
The new law sounds ridiculous on the surface, but if you think about it for a bit (it's hard, I know), it does kind of make sense. Incentivize an environmentally friendly practice with a truly nominal fee.
IMO, the nominal fee does two counter-productive things:

1. Provides minimal incentive for people to not use the store-supplied bags
2. Provides the store a MAJOR incentive to have people use as many bags as possible

These bags cost the store well under 1 cent each. At 5 cents, they are pocketing easy money. This is the opposite of an incentive to curb their use.

Quote:
On the other hand, they could have incentivized the reusable bags by giving a discount to those who use them.
That would have made some sense. But we are talking about government. This law sounds like a payoff to supermarket owners cloaked in a false "environmentally friendly" narrative.

The kicker is that is also applies to paper bags. To me, that simply proves it is not about the "evil plastic" but a means to put some extra cash in store owner's pockets.

Quote:
At the end of the day, if you shop once a week and use 10 bags, that's 50 cents...or $26 per year. If it motivates some people to use reusable bags, that's not so bad. I hate the idea of the middle class being hit up for more $$, but this one seems largely a symbolic burden moreso than a real burden.
Which helps to prove my point. The cost of the bags will be meaningless to most shoppers. Yet I know from working with some large grocery chains that the total cost of bags is a big expense for them. The government just mandated this expense into a windfall profit item.

Someone is Suffolk has to be getting a kickback for this one. And the beauty is that they have misdirected people into thinking it is a good thing.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:21 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,855 times
The amount of complaining I see regarding this new law is absurd. Spend a couple bucks to buy the reusable, washable bags and STFU about it. Christ, you'd think stores were now allowed Prima Nocta the way some folks are complaining.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:30 PM

It’s just another tick in the communist agenda.
Our freedom is washing away little by little every single day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island