Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 04:10 PM

22,686 posts, read 36,870,810 times

Advertisements

If you're seriously thinking of Catholic schools Stewart Manor is definitely a good call, great little community and most of the people there go to St. Anne's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 08:11 AM

73 posts, read 92,961 times
I just moved to Stewart Manor from Queens (lived in Bayside for 15 years). I was in the same boat that Queens prices were insane ($1M got you a crappy house). It's a great area and takes me 20 mins to get to Bayside, so about 30 mins to Flushing. I commute to Manhattan and very easy commute (less than 1 hour) with a super easy walk to LIRR.

The area is mostly Catholic and St. Anne's is a great Church. It's walking distance, which is also nice.

Most of the town is zoned for Elmont (not the best), but I was on Fernwood and zoned for Garden City Schools. Some of the homes are also zoned for Franklin Square. Regardless, sounds like you would like Catholic, so doesn't matter.

Floral Park is also very nice -- I originally was looking there, but found a nicer house in Stewart Manor & liked the neighborhood a bit better.

Good Luck!

Old 01-22-2018, 03:49 PM

15 posts, read 23,722 times
Thank you, everyone!! These suggestions have been so helpful!

Old 01-30-2018, 08:32 PM

4 posts, read 6,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensMom147 View Post
Hi there!
I am hoping to get some helpful advice on here. A little about us-
DH & I are currently expecting our first child- due in July. I am a teacher in Flushing, Queens. DH's company sends him all over LI & the 5 boroughs, but the company's home base is in Bellmore. I will be going back to work, so I don't want to be too far from Flushing. We currently own a condo in Whitestone. We love it here, DH & I were both raised in this area. However, while looking all over Bayside & Whitestone, we sadly have realized that owning a home in Queens is completely out of our budget. This is what we are looking for-

- a safe, middle to upper middle class area no more than a 40 minute drive to Flushing.
- excellent public schools- although there is a chance we will do Catholic school. That won't be decided until our DD/DS is going into K, so we have plenty of time. Want to be in a good school district in case we decide to go that route. A solid and strong Catholic parish & school would be a plus too!
- a 3 bedroom home for 600k or under. We are not looking for a pool, new construction, or tons of land. Also not picky with the style of house.
- lots of things to do for kids. Little League, soccer, town pool, rec center, lots of kids in area.

Right now we are focusing on Floral Park/Bellerose Village, Franklin Square, and the whole south shore area of Merrick, Bellmore, Wantagh, Seaford, & Massapequa. Any insight into these areas, or any new suggestions, would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank you!
I would certainly check out Valley Stream. There are a few different areas of Valley Stream. I would check out Gibson area, and homes that are in the Inc.Village of Valley Stream. Most of the school districts here have plenty of activities for the kids. There are two Catholic churches here Blessed Sacrament and Holy Name of Mary School. And the convenience for commuting is great !

Old 02-01-2018, 03:44 AM

430 posts, read 559,403 times
I'm going to go the other way and point out that you will get noticeably more for your money if you go slightly East. Massapequa is great (I prefer being in the Town of Oyster Bay). Seaford and Wantagh are nice as well. You will have no trouble finding what you are looking for in these areas for under 600k. The difference in commute is negligible to Flushing. Traffic does not really build severely between central and eastern Nassau, especially on a City teaching schedule. You will mostly beat the rush in the AM and do better than most in the afternoon because you are on the road earlier. 10 minute difference at most, even at rush hour. I'm speaking from experience. My family was in the exact same situation and we ended up in Massapequa. Good luck with the search.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:24 AM

732 posts, read 887,217 times
You should add New Hyde Park and Herricks. You can buy a decent house at 600k, better at 700k and be very close to Flushing and St. Annes. Train station is close by as well. Just note that some parts of NHP is the village and the others are North NHP (town of North Hempstead).
New Hyde Park schools are very good. Make sure you're not zoned with Elmont SD.
Herricks SD is better. Both school districts are in the top 10 in Nassau

Last edited by ubering; 02-01-2018 at 08:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island