Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 09:25 AM

56 posts, read 201,566 times

Advertisements

First time home buyer here. We liked a house in Nassau, Lynbrook to be specific, and have an accepted offer on it. During inspection, it turned out the garage has termites in one of its corner. It had crawled up to about 1.5 feet from the ground. There was no sign of treatment there. Would this be a big issue down the road should we go ahead with the deal? I believe the standard procedure, if the parties go ahead with the deal, is that the owner does the treatment for termites and provide a one year warranty. What does it really mean? What if termites re-surface in 6 months? I am assuming owners wouldnt be liable after the warranty expires and termites re-surface?

How common is this problem in Nassau County, especially lynbrook. The garage is within 30 feet of the house and is separated by grass and a deck which isn't too high from the ground.

This whole process is new to me. What should be an appropriate course of action here? What are my options if I want to go ahead with the deal? Should I ask for a reduction in the price. The reason I say this is garage (detached) and shed roofs are leaking as well.
Thoughts/Insights/advice is highly appreciated.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 01:02 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times
The area is loaded with termites. Its just the way it is.
Seller hires termite company to inspect and/or treat with a garantee, usually a year.
If the termites come back within the garantee period, company will come back to address again.
Make sure you get the contract and read the fine print.
Make sure it is a legitimate company that will still be in business in a year and that will also stand behind the garantee.

Seller can refuse and squash the deal.
Normally does not happen. A termite inspection is fairly cheap.

It may not be an active infestation.
Termites could have been there years ago, area treated but not repaired (it is "only" a garage).
Also, the inspector needs to know his *bleep* because termite damage and dry rotted water damage can look very similar.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:59 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,528 times
EDIT: reading comprehension fail. It’s a stand-alone garage. I wouldn’t walk away if you like the house.

I actually walked away from a beautiful house in Lynbrook due to termites. Reason why is that the inspector found significant termite damage in the basement, but it was a finished basement and impossible to tell how extensive the damage was and the price of the house was too close to our max to take a risk.

How common is it? I’ve also heard it was common around here but the more modest house I ended up pitching about a mile away in Valley Stream had none. A lot of houses around here are built pretty high off the ground (ie the basement pokes up quite a lot), which I would think would increase resistance to termite infestation.

But wait, is this a standalone garage? If so I don’t see it as a big deal.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
EDIT: reading comprehension fail. It’s a stand-alone garage. I wouldn’t walk away if you like the house.

I actually walked away from a beautiful house in Lynbrook due to termites. Reason why is that the inspector found significant termite damage in the basement, but it was a finished basement and impossible to tell how extensive the damage was and the price of the house was too close to our max to take a risk.

How common is it? I’ve also heard it was common around here but the more modest house I ended up pitching about a mile away in Valley Stream had none. A lot of houses around here are built pretty high off the ground (ie the basement pokes up quite a lot), which I would think would increase resistance to termite infestation.

But wait, is this a standalone garage? If so I don’t see it as a big deal.
Yes the garage is detached but I believe it is within 30 feet from the house itself separated by grass/soil and a wooden deck.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLiKk View Post
Yes the garage is detached but I believe it is within 30 feet from the house itself separated by grass/soil and a wooden deck.
If the deck and the house are undamaged, insist the seller hire a reputable place to treat and repair the damaged garage with a guarantee and go for it.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:42 PM

Thanks for the comment. Basement is finished so I imagine would be hard to tell whether there is termites in basement???? no?
Its an old house built in 1910's.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the comment. Basement is finished so I imagine would be hard to tell whether there is termites in basement???? no?
Its an old house built in 1910's.
You have to get an inspector’s take on it.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
You have to get an inspector’s take on it.
you mean termite's inspector of the one who typically does the inspection when you have the offer accepted?

Old 01-21-2018, 07:01 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,124 times
The house I sold on LI had inactive terminate damages under the floor and in the garage. It was discovered during a routine inspection and I had to deal with it under the terms of the contract. Termites are very common so don't let it keep you from buying a house.

Resolution was a baiting system that cost me almost $1k. The termite companies don't spray anymore and steer homeowners towards the expensive baiting system. I needed to get it done to close on the house.

Nothing is cheap about termite treatment and closing on a house.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:17 PM

732 posts, read 883,909 times
Quote:
you mean termite's inspector of the one who typically does the inspection when you have the offer accepted?
You need to get the seller's authorization for the inspector to drill holes in walls to inspect for termites which is most likely going to be no.

If you think termites are in the house, walk away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island