Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 12:06 PM

12 posts, read 9,440 times

Advertisements

Hello. I was driving on the LIE in SUFFOLK (sorry prev wrote Nassau) and received a ticket for illegally crossing into the HOV lane during Morning Rush Hour. I had kids in the backseat and sensing my desperation, the officer (under the radar) suggested I plead not guilty, and say that I swerved into the HOV lane to avoid being hit by another car. I completely recognize that my actions were wrong. However, I want to ask though how much this will cost me and if I will get any points on my license. I have a clean driving record otherwise (received a speeding ticket once years ago and paid it off so I got no points). I have pleaded not guilty and am scheduled to appear in April. Please help!

Yes, I was wrong but am trying to minimize the consequences/costs of this as I am a single mother and will obviously not do this again.

Last edited by zqrt; 02-16-2018 at 12:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 12:16 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
She illegally crossed the lines to get into the HOV. That's what the ticket is for.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:38 PM

20,042 posts, read 20,844,919 times
They will come for your children.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:42 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,962,207 times
This will cost $5000 and they will impound your car.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:28 PM

20,042 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
This will cost $5000 and they will impound your car.
And squash your data!

Old 02-17-2018, 07:33 PM

32 posts, read 26,614 times
The D.A will run a check on your license if!!! your record is clean He or She will maybe give you a break and write it up
as some other infraction with no points. But you will most likely have to pay the full value of the crossing the h.o.v line Fine! Plus all the court fees that come with any fine. And you must pleade guilty to the other infraction the D.A wrote up.
P.S Go to the court ASAP.... If you plead not guilty, the officer has to come to court and believe me. It will be the Judge and the Officer against you. Talk to the D.A first.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:12 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,335 times
Pleading not guilty was the right thing to do as everyone is playing the system.
Go to the court, (warning: its going to be a waste of your workday, but do it). If your record is clean, they will likely reduce this to a parking violation and you pay between $100-$200 and get off.
If things turn worse, get an attorney, it turns out better in the long run, but you will have to spend a lot of $$$$ now, but I'm hoping for the former case.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:53 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,082,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zqrt View Post
Hello. I was driving on the LIE in SUFFOLK (sorry prev wrote Nassau) and received a ticket for illegally crossing into the HOV lane during Morning Rush Hour. I had kids in the backseat and sensing my desperation, the officer (under the radar) suggested I plead not guilty, and say that I swerved into the HOV lane to avoid being hit by another car. I completely recognize that my actions were wrong. However, I want to ask though how much this will cost me and if I will get any points on my license. I have a clean driving record otherwise (received a speeding ticket once years ago and paid it off so I got no points). I have pleaded not guilty and am scheduled to appear in April. Please help!

Yes, I was wrong but am trying to minimize the consequences/costs of this as I am a single mother and will obviously not do this again.
The cop gave you a defense to the ticket and suggested you lie under oath? He didn't know you and you could have reported him regardless of saying it "under the radar". If he truly sensed your "desperation" and wanted to be a nice guy, he could have let you off with a warning. The cop didn't have to give you a ticket just because he stopped you. If you go to trial (or whatever it is called in Suffolk), the cop will dispute that you swerved into the HOV lane to avoid a car so it makes no sense he told you to claim that. He had to have seen you illegally cross into the lane, he's not going to support your claim to a judge.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:04 PM

106,644 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Pleading not guilty was the right thing to do as everyone is playing the system.
Go to the court, (warning: its going to be a waste of your workday, but do it). If your record is clean, they will likely reduce this to a parking violation and you pay between $100-$200 and get off.
If things turn worse, get an attorney, it turns out better in the long run, but you will have to spend a lot of $$$$ now, but I'm hoping for the former case.
No one in another thread we just had has ever seen a moving violation reduced to a parking ticket in long island . They do it upstate but so far self included no one who posted ever had it done in long island.

Moving violations are state. Violations .Parking tickets are generally local town ,village or county.

Until an attorney chimes in and says it can be done we have to go with not plausable here in li

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-18-2018 at 04:21 PM..

Old 02-18-2018, 06:40 PM

106,644 posts, read 108,790,719 times
A traffic attorney just responded to the other thread in the long island forum about getting a ticket . You can read his reply . But i ecan't copy the link on my nook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: