Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 11:38 AM

12 posts, read 9,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
The cop gave you a defense to the ticket and suggested you lie under oath? He didn't know you and you could have reported him regardless of saying it "under the radar". If he truly sensed your "desperation" and wanted to be a nice guy, he could have let you off with a warning. The cop didn't have to give you a ticket just because he stopped you. If you go to trial (or whatever it is called in Suffolk), the cop will dispute that you swerved into the HOV lane to avoid a car so it makes no sense he told you to claim that. He had to have seen you illegally cross into the lane, he's not going to support your claim to a judge.
He told me he had already written a ticket. I only told him details of my situation afterward (not beforehand like I should have) so at that point nothing could have been done because he had already written a ticket and had it in his hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 11:40 AM

I cannot see it! Do you know where it is? Thank you so much for your help.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:44 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,190,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zqrt View Post
I cannot see it! Do you know where it is? Thank you so much for your help.

Here you go. It was in your other post about this subject

JiminCT
befriend
570 posts, read 1,669,054 times

A good example is a seat belt violation and conviction. There are no points on this (seat belt) ticket but it will stay on your driver abstract for 3 years.

If you negotiate it to a VTL 1201-A (stop park violation), this will NOT show up on your driver abstract. Sometimes the judge will just throw out the seatbelt ticket if you dont get another one for another 30 days, which I've negotiated many times...I do several of these a year.

Regarding the actual process, you plea not guilty after you get the ticket and promptly mail it in to the address of the town court (on the bottom of the ticket). They will set an appearance date where the Assistant District Attorney (he/she is from the county) will offer you a plea bargain. If it's not what you want just ask her/him..a lot of them are quite lenient for a seat belt violation.

Very few traffic violations are ever negotiated at the county level...ever. Despite my username, I have lived in NY for many years now...

A word of advice...speeding tickets are rarely negotiated to parking tickets..ever. You may be able to negotiate a 4 speeding ticket to a 2 point VTL-1102 "Failure to Comply", but the 2 point moving violation will stay on your abstract for 3 years. NY State has basically gotten very tough negotiating down speeding tickets. You will get points if you speak to the Assistant District Attorney...but plan for points to be on your record. From my professional experience.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
The cop gave you a defense to the ticket and suggested you lie under oath? He didn't know you and you could have reported him regardless of saying it "under the radar". If he truly sensed your "desperation" and wanted to be a nice guy, he could have let you off with a warning. The cop didn't have to give you a ticket just because he stopped you. If you go to trial (or whatever it is called in Suffolk), the cop will dispute that you swerved into the HOV lane to avoid a car so it makes no sense he told you to claim that. He had to have seen you illegally cross into the lane, he's not going to support your claim to a judge.

He told me he would deny any knowledge of saying that (I should plead not guilty). Do you think there is a chance he may not show up, thereby getting the ticket dismissed?

Old 02-19-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post

Here you go. It was in your other post about this subject

JiminCT
befriend
570 posts, read 1,669,054 times

A good example is a seat belt violation and conviction. There are no points on this (seat belt) ticket but it will stay on your driver abstract for 3 years.

If you negotiate it to a VTL 1201-A (stop park violation), this will NOT show up on your driver abstract. Sometimes the judge will just throw out the seatbelt ticket if you dont get another one for another 30 days, which I've negotiated many times...I do several of these a year.

Regarding the actual process, you plea not guilty after you get the ticket and promptly mail it in to the address of the town court (on the bottom of the ticket). They will set an appearance date where the Assistant District Attorney (he/she is from the county) will offer you a plea bargain. If it's not what you want just ask her/him..a lot of them are quite lenient for a seat belt violation.

Very few traffic violations are ever negotiated at the county level...ever. Despite my username, I have lived in NY for many years now...

A word of advice...speeding tickets are rarely negotiated to parking tickets..ever. You may be able to negotiate a 4 speeding ticket to a 2 point VTL-1102 "Failure to Comply", but the 2 point moving violation will stay on your abstract for 3 years. NY State has basically gotten very tough negotiating down speeding tickets. You will get points if you speak to the Assistant District Attorney...but plan for points to be on your record. From my professional experience.

Thank you so very much. However, I was not given a ticket for speeding, simply crossing over into the HOV Lane. Because of this, do you think it is possible that I may pay a (high) fine and get no points? I was able to negotiate my speeding ticket (the one I received years ago) down to a fine with no points. I am deeply sorry for this mistake and will obviously not do it again.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:14 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,344,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
No one in another thread we just had has ever seen a moving violation reduced to a parking ticket in long island . They do it upstate but so far self included no one who posted ever had it done in long island.

Moving violations are state. Violations .Parking tickets are generally local town ,village or county.

Until an attorney chimes in and says it can be done we have to go with not plausable here in li
Personal experience from around 7 years ago. 11 mph over speed limit on local roads. Speeding ticket.
Pleaded not guilty - Ended up paying parking ticket - village of islandia - old nichols rd.

Note to OP: Even if "ever" above is incorrect, I would listen to attorneys advice, mine might have been a fluke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: