Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 03:45 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,953,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
With the walmarts around me, could have fooled me. While they do pack the people in, there is not much on the shelves. I have to either go to multiple walmarts for 3 items or closer stores.
There's a lot more to Walmart than meets the eye (at the stores).
5 Moves Walmart Is Making to Compete With Amazon, Target | Fortune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 04:04 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,818,261 times
Thank God Massapequa toys r us is staying open!

Old 02-23-2018, 05:36 PM

40 posts, read 72,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbathunter View Post
The problem Toys R Us has is that they were taken over by a private equity company who loaded them down with debt. If you remove that debt from the take over they would be in decent shape.

Wasn't aware of that, but it explains a lot. We've seen this before.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:00 AM

112 posts, read 183,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Walmart seems to be doing fine despite Amazon. TRU could've done better (or something, anything) with their competitive strategy. Free shipping from their website to compete with Amazon would've been a good start. Countless times I chose Amazon over TRU for that reason. And I'm not driving 20 minutes on the highway to buy a gift for someone when I can do it much easier in front of this machine. That's not lazy, that's just ideal - can't even say it's smart, because it's such an obvious choice.

WALMART is not doing well at all! Record lows!!

Old 02-24-2018, 06:19 AM

5,314 posts, read 4,819,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaDoll View Post
WALMART is not doing well at all! Record lows!!
Yeah their stocks took a hit but they aren’t going anywhere. Walmart is probably the only company that has the cash and infrastructure already in place to go head to head with amazon online.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:55 AM

13,070 posts, read 18,289,659 times
The reason Amazon is doing well is they have very forward thinking and are regional with distribution or fulfillment centers. The management of TUS among others are top heavy and they sat back and let the chips fall instead of trying to compete. They bought out Kaybee in I think 2010, in an effort to create a less competitive market. Top heavy and no competitive edge killed Geoffrey.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:28 PM

259 posts, read 176,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
The reason Amazon is doing well is they have very forward thinking and are regional with distribution or fulfillment centers. The management of TUS among others are top heavy and they sat back and let the chips fall instead of trying to compete. They bought out Kaybee in I think 2010, in an effort to create a less competitive market. Top heavy and no competitive edge killed Geoffrey.
Private equity take over is what killed Toys R us. Like it has so many other companies.

Fairway Supermarkets, in financial issues related to debt from the takeover by a private equity company, before they went public.
Sears, loaded with debt from being taken over by KMart (people forget that) and Lampert. Taken public, still loaded with debt, slowly spiraling downward as they spin off what assets they have to companies controlled by Lampert (Lampert controls the company that now runs the property that most Sears stores sit on. It is why the Hicksville store is closing and Lampert is trying to make a huge complex out of it, that has no chance of being approved)

Payless stores, taken over by PE company, now in bankruptcy due to debt from that take over.
Payless Shoes, which was acquired by Golden Gate Capital and Blum Capital in 2012. In the span of only two years, Golden Gate and Blum collected $350 million in dividends in each of 2013 and 2014 in connection with debt acquired through Payless’ LBO, which caused Payless to take on over $700 million in debt.

I can give more examples.

Private equity are the worst. Nothing but problems to the companies they take over.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:02 AM

5,968 posts, read 3,080,816 times
Sad. But at the same time, no more toys for my 5 year old. House is bursting with toys. ANd I guess my 1 month old is **** out of luck.

Moneys saved. Chi CHing.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:13 PM

13,070 posts, read 18,289,659 times
Looks like the curtain is coming down on them soon.

Toys ‘R’ Us could close all U.S. stores by next week: reports | WPIX 11 New York

Old 03-09-2018, 07:44 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,557,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
Thanks a lot, Amazon
I think it’s all these hand held electronics that took over. No one plays with “Toys” anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island