Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 03:48 PM

418 posts, read 367,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post
The rule for me and my family is at least one whole town between us and any bad area. For example, I currently live in North Massapequa and we are surrounded by safe neighborhoods. I would think twice before moving to parts of Farmingdale or East Massapequa (or Massapequa Park). Being on the edge of a bad neighborhood seems like it may be too tempting for criminals. If I were single I would live in the bad area if there were some objective reason to and it wouldn't bother me.
Interesting, thanks for your contribution! According to the crime map I use, there is a small crime patch right in North Massapequa, spanning from N. Bay Ave to just about the preserve, between N Beech/N Pine Streets and N Hickory. Also, East Massapequa boarders South Amityville, which has some homes your neighbors probably couldn't afford! Lastly, North Massapequa can also be close to South Farmingdale, so much for your "one town away from any bad town" mantra!

There are very few towns that aren't at all touching high crime areas. Plainview and Upper Brookville maybe...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
It could even get more complex than that since there's plenty of people with fat bank accounts and nice jobs living in parts of Garden City that are just a couple blocks away from Hempstead. There's other examples of this throughout the island as well.
Fantastic point.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
to some, having a GC address is the only thing they care about, it makes no difference exactly where it is.
Another fantastic point!

Old 03-14-2018, 04:25 PM

59 posts, read 60,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post
The rule for me and my family is at least one whole town between us and any bad area. For example, I currently live in North Massapequa and we are surrounded by safe neighborhoods. I would think twice before moving to parts of Farmingdale or East Massapequa (or Massapequa Park). Being on the edge of a bad neighborhood seems like it may be too tempting for criminals. If I were single I would live in the bad area if there were some objective reason to and it wouldn't bother me.

I live in North Massapequa (plainedge) too and to me the self absorbed, racist, nut jobs makes living in this "safe" neighborhood waaaaaay less appealing.

Old 03-14-2018, 05:29 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,498 times
Crime is everywhere.

The end.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:43 AM

430 posts, read 556,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Schmitters View Post
Interesting, thanks for your contribution! According to the crime map I use, there is a small crime patch right in North Massapequa, spanning from N. Bay Ave to just about the preserve, between N Beech/N Pine Streets and N Hickory. Also, East Massapequa boarders South Amityville, which has some homes your neighbors probably couldn't afford! Lastly, North Massapequa can also be close to South Farmingdale, so much for your "one town away from any bad town" mantra!

There are very few towns that aren't at all touching high crime areas. Plainview and Upper Brookville maybe...
First of all, the homes you are referring to in East Massapequa are very close to the water. This causes the increase in property value. They also belong to a terrible school district, so they are not for everyone. I can assure you that there is very minimal crime in N. Massapequa and surrounding towns. I'm not sure what crime map you are referring to, but violent crime is what matters and there isn't any. Most people are not concerned with petty property crimes as they occur just about everywhere anyway.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:47 AM

430 posts, read 556,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscotto183 View Post
I live in North Massapequa (plainedge) too and to me the self absorbed, racist, nut jobs makes living in this "safe" neighborhood waaaaaay less appealing.
I did not grow up in the area, so this is a genuine question. Why do feel this way about the residents here? I have never encountered anyone who struck me as any one those things (except maybe self-absorbed, but that's anyone from NYC/LI.) I wonder if it's just the abundance of Trump and MAGA signs that would lead people to jump to such a sweeping conclusion.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:52 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,775,030 times
It depends on too many factors for me. If I lived in a town like GC, where the police are unapologetic about patrolling the border with Hempstead, a couple of blocks would suffice....especially since the rest of the town has good neighbors. But if I lived in a town like Huntington, where you are the mercy of the Suffolk County police who are already stretched, I would not live close. However, knowledge is power....there hasn't been a lot of encroachment in Huntington even since I was a kid, the bad areas and good areas have remained stable pretty much. But it's not always easy to tell what's what.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:53 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,877,385 times
It was a concern for us when we were looking at Dix Hills / Deer Park. Carlls Straight Path was a known issue road and one house we looked at was only a couple blocks from it. We decided against it.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:10 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,756,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
It was a concern for us when we were looking at Dix Hills / Deer Park. Carlls Straight Path was a known issue road and one house we looked at was only a couple blocks from it. We decided against it.
you were worried about crime in Deer Park?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island