Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 06:35 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,067,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Laughable. This is LI you’re talking about. Jews make up 17% of the population of Nassau County, so unless you are picking a handful of minority-majority areas your poor kids won’t feel left out.

There are more Jews than people of Irish descent...
I don't think that's necessarily true re: more Jews than Irish. And even if it was, when was the last time you heard of crimes targeting people of Irish descent on LI?

The OP's concerns are not just concern about their kids feeling "left out." Lots of LI families are accepting of differences, or at least tolerant. But there are many incidents where people are not. There's been an uptick in the number of anti-Semetic incidents on Long Island in the past year and a half, and the Jewish families I know have become slightly more cautious...

In Commack, where the Jewish population is about 20% of the student body...
Commack High School students photographed wearing swastika t-shirts | WPIX 11 New York

Swastikas in Syosset
https://patch.com/new-york/syosset/5...ncident-police

Massapequa Park - incident on a playground
https://patch.com/new-york/massapequ...assapequa-park

RVC - arguably one of the nicest neighborhoods and highest-ranked schools on LI
https://patch.com/new-york/rockville...nt-nassau-home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 07:23 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
How about just move somewhere you'd like to live and not worry how Jewish or not Jewish it is?
It's 2018. It's LI. Just about every community has a choice of temples.
This. Almost every community has jews. I have 10 jewish friends living in Freeport right now.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:57 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
I don't think that's necessarily true re: more Jews than Irish. And even if it was, when was the last time you heard of crimes targeting people of Irish descent on LI?

The OP's concerns are not just concern about their kids feeling "left out." Lots of LI families are accepting of differences, or at least tolerant. But there are many incidents where people are not. There's been an uptick in the number of anti-Semetic incidents on Long Island in the past year and a half, and the Jewish families I know have become slightly more cautious...

In Commack, where the Jewish population is about 20% of the student body...
Commack High School students photographed wearing swastika t-shirts | WPIX 11 New York

Swastikas in Syosset
https://patch.com/new-york/syosset/5...ncident-police

Massapequa Park - incident on a playground
https://patch.com/new-york/massapequ...assapequa-park

RVC - arguably one of the nicest neighborhoods and highest-ranked schools on LI
https://patch.com/new-york/rockville...nt-nassau-home
I wouldn’t quote the Irish comment if it wasn’t backed by statistics. It’s 100% true.

I’m sorry, while there are outlier incidents the fact is still that 1 in 6 people in Nassau County are Jewish. Averaged out, EVERY classroom has at least a couple of Jewish kids in it. The school calendar ensures kids are off on Jewish holidays.

NY is also one of the least tolerant places for hate crimes. We’re not talking about hassling the lone Jewish family in rural Alabama.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:04 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
If you go on our FB groups in Plainview, you'd think the overwhelming majority are jewish. We actually feel like minorities, even in public gatherings where they know each other well.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
If you go on our FB group in Plainview, you'd think the overwhelming majority are jewish. We actually feel like minorities, even in public gatherings where they know each other well.
Jews will always be a minority. There aren't a lot of them in the world, compared to other religions... that is why there's a big push to marry jewish and raise children jewish.

Every community on LI has jews and they are treated well here.

I am jewish and I have never had any issues, people are respectful.

I really wouldn't stress about this, OP. Just pick a community you like & don't worry about whether there are jews or not (b/c there will be).

Old 04-25-2018, 09:43 AM

37 posts, read 48,032 times
i know every community has jewish people but for ex the other day we drove around an area and everyone had a wreath on their door. maybe i am making an assumption about them

sometimes it is hard to explain things in a post and don't want to offend people either.

still unsure where to move but the posts gave me lots to think about.

thanks to everyone who has replied so far.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky11 View Post
i know every community has jewish people but for ex the other day we drove around an area and everyone had a wreath on their door. maybe i am making an assumption about them

sometimes it is hard to explain things in a post and don't want to offend people either.

People have wreaths for things other than Christmas... I make them sometimes for the welcoming of Spring and for July 4th. Has nothing to do with religion...

I think you are reading into things too much.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:13 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Wreaths on the door in April? Maybe YOU need some
Diversity training if u think
That has any religious connotation at all. My goodness.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:45 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:

huh? what kind of wreathes?

Old 04-25-2018, 12:48 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
yes i know that in south merrick or anything south of sunrise highway you need to buy flood insurance
that's simply not true. It's not even true for all homes south of merrick rd.

Quote:
i thought i read that East Meadow doesn't have a large jewish population. Not sure when people say large what they mean.
true. You've said it a couple of times yourself and I'm not quite sure what you mean either.

Quote:
overall I just dont want my kids to be the only jewish kids in a neighborhood and neighborhoods are changing.
but it's more than that, right? You've ruled out places like Jericho, Syosset, and Massapequa. So it seems like you're also focused on having your kids NOT in school with certain groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island