Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 06:00 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,150,444 times

Advertisements

Who needs to hire anyone? I fix my car, my house, build things all thanks to youtube. If you watch other people do it 10-15 times and take your time you can do most anything. Now I am not talking about framing a house or swapping out an engine, just minor stuff like tiling, oil changes, brake job, faucet repair, leaks etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 06:05 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Should charge higher rates for cops and teachers but they are some of the cheapest chislers around.
They want one percenter quality for pauper rates.
Always hated doing work for cops and teachers. They always broke balls and complained.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:09 PM

755 posts, read 1,080,411 times
I am your typical home owner that hires day laborers a lot to assist me. I've been needing some help recently, and guys I've used before have gone from 120/day to 190-250/day. I expect to be over charged as a homeowner but that's ridiculous.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:34 PM

300 posts, read 553,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
Who needs to hire anyone? I fix my car, my house, build things all thanks to youtube. If you watch other people do it 10-15 times and take your time you can do most anything. Now I am not talking about framing a house or swapping out an engine, just minor stuff like tiling, oil changes, brake job, faucet repair, leaks etc.
The original comment is about what a construction company should pay their employees. You are way off base here... We aren't talking about you fixing up your house on the weekend.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:22 PM

300 posts, read 553,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Lead carpenter should get atleast 75k with decent health benefits. Even a paid cellphone would be appropriate. Per day, $350. A jr Carpenter depends on experience. 5-7 years 25/hr cash.
I started for $70/day in 96. I had a great boss who always bumped my salary as I performed more. I left him reluctantly after 12 years with 75k, health insurance, paid cellphone and paid transportation/gas. Best decision I was ever forced to make.
hmmm.. Interesting. I'll talk to some of my friends who work in home improvement. I don't know if many of them have employees that make $1,750 a week plus full benefits. I'll ask though.

I'm not saying the employees don't deserve it, I just don't think home improvement companies such as Time White, Kenco, Streamline, Great Additions, OZ, Shells Only,Turn Key, Ambassador and such are not paying employees that type of money on the books. Between a salary like that, plus benefits, plus payroll taxes, most homeowners wouldn't be ale to afford a siding job let alone a second floor addition...

Old 04-24-2018, 04:58 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
They're not paying that much. Nowhere near that.
15-18/hour is average.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:26 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignBuild516 View Post
hmmm.. Interesting. I'll talk to some of my friends who work in home improvement. I don't know if many of them have employees that make $1,750 a week plus full benefits. I'll ask though.

I'm not saying the employees don't deserve it, I just don't think home improvement companies such as Time White, Kenco, Streamline, Great Additions, OZ, Shells Only,Turn Key, Ambassador and such are not paying employees that type of money on the books. Between a salary like that, plus benefits, plus payroll taxes, most homeowners wouldn't be ale to afford a siding job let alone a second floor addition...
No. $350/day would be if one free lanced and worked once in a while with a company. Some guys can swing more than that. Also, “full benefits “? No. Just health insurance. I know a couple of those companies only have drug addicts (alcoholics, pill poppers) working for them. Kenco’s owner is a bit of a weirdo himself but, they do decent work. Lots of illegal’s and subcontractors involved too. It’s not easy out there.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:03 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Interesting. So what do you pay your men? Say you have a person with 4-5 years experience who is a Jr. Mechanic. What is his total package?
Salary is commensurate with actual experience. He might start at $20/hr until he shows what his true skills are. Our full mechanics are right in line with the statistics, above mean. We offer profit sharing, 1 week paid vacation, 3 paid sick days, company vehicles, uniforms. We're too small to offer health insurance; the cost would further drive up our billable rate, making it even more difficult to compete against fly-by-night, shady guys operating out of the back of their truck.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Lead carpenter should get atleast 75k with decent health benefits. Even a paid cellphone would be appropriate. Per day, $350. A jr Carpenter depends on experience. 5-7 years 25/hr cash.
I started for $70/day in 96. I had a great boss who always bumped my salary as I performed more. I left him reluctantly after 12 years with 75k, health insurance, paid cellphone and paid transportation/gas. Best decision I was ever forced to make.
$350 an hour if he were operating as a sub and you were giving him a 1099. Then he would also have to be licensed and supply you with liability and workers comp certificates.

If you're paying cash, is that being picked up as a payroll liability when your liability policy and workers comp policies are audited, or are you flying under the radar?

Paid cellphones are great because an employer can see exactly how much time an employee spent calling and texting during work hours. Helps build a case ifyou have to fire them and they try to claim unemployment.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:

A number of the larger companies hire warm bodies who are not diversified. They are not paying a premium for them, and chances are, some of them have been hired with minimal, if any skills -- so lower pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island