Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2014, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,063 times

Advertisements

My Buddies went there in '76 , got beat up by the bouncers, the fellow went home and Dad said WTF?
next week the said bouncers VANISHED!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 07:23 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Speaks is torn down and in its place is a large Baptist Church, all brand new. Speaks was between Austin Blvd and the water in Island Park.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,747 times
I was the DJ at speaks in 1975 and 1976 it was a time when speaks was the number 1 club in the USA .i am honored to have been there DJ Yours Truly StevenMeinster.There will never be a mother club like Speaks Again I remember when one night my phone rang and the person said I am the owner of speaks and I heard you spin records and he asked me if I would like to be there DJ tonight. And I said yes walking into speaks there was only one speaker that was working on the left side of the stage the sound system sucked .But at the end of the night I was asked if I would be there DJ Wednesday and Saturday and after about 5 weeks I was there DJ Wednesday thru Saturday and in about 6 weeks we finally got a new sound system that was made for pure Rock. It was great .A time in my life I will never forget . So I say thank you to Ralph for calling me and asking me to be there DJ .My life was changed for ever

Old 12-10-2016, 12:26 AM

18 posts, read 19,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenmeinster View Post
I was the DJ at speaks in 1975 and 1976 it was a time when speaks was the number 1 club in the USA .i am honored to have been there DJ Yours Truly StevenMeinster.There will never be a mother club like Speaks Again I remember when one night my phone rang and the person said I am the owner of speaks and I heard you spin records and he asked me if I would like to be there DJ tonight. And I said yes walking into speaks there was only one speaker that was working on the left side of the stage the sound system sucked .But at the end of the night I was asked if I would be there DJ Wednesday and Saturday and after about 5 weeks I was there DJ Wednesday thru Saturday and in about 6 weeks we finally got a new sound system that was made for pure Rock. It was great .A time in my life I will never forget . So I say thank you to Ralph for calling me and asking me to be there DJ .My life was changed for ever
I bet you're still spinning records with the way you write.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:15 PM

9 posts, read 23,589 times
I was also there at Speaks for the Aerosmith show.
Wasn't their best performance. But well worth the trip.
Might have some photos of that night somewhere.
Also saw the Plasmatics there.
I believe it was named The Action House before Speaks.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:44 AM

633 posts, read 581,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcassjoe View Post
Hi All,
New here. I was at my haircutters the other day. We started talking about Speaks. We couldn't remember the name of it after it was Speaks. Not Archies or the name now. Anyone?? It has been driving us crazy. I thought maybe 50 Broadway.

Thanks
cottoncandy
There is a huge new Baptist Church on Austin Blvd in Island Park where Speaks used to be. Folks are praying Sunday morning where Twisted Sister used to play on Sunday morning

Old 12-12-2016, 10:23 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBeachBum View Post
There is a huge new Baptist Church on Austin Blvd in Island Park where Speaks used to be. Folks are praying Sunday morning where Twisted Sister used to play on Sunday morning
You're thinking of the wrong location. That's down the road and used to be a car dealership.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:18 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Toy View Post
I was also there at Speaks for the Aerosmith show.
Wasn't their best performance. But well worth the trip.
Might have some photos of that night somewhere.
Also saw the Plasmatics there.
I believe it was named The Action House before Speaks.
And The Action House was also legendary with both local and national acts playing there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island