Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 11:09 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,053,124 times

Advertisements

Anybody here ever used D & S Roofing for either a full roof replacement or replacing at least 50% of the roof?

If you have, I have two questions about the job they did:

(1) Once they started pulling off your old shingles, did they tell you that a significant portion (or all) of your existing roof decking needed to be replaced?

(2) If they included "free gutters and downspouts" what size did they install?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 01:17 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,548,591 times
What is significant amount of decking?

If the gutter are free, I assume they gave you 5 inch gutters with 2x3 inch downspouts.

Old 08-19-2018, 03:12 PM

Significant amount of decking = 50% or more of the total roof area, IMHO.

You would think that it would be 5" K-gutters and 2x3 downspouts for most homes (unless there are large areas of steep roofs), wouldn't you? But what D&S puts on are 6" K-gutters, regardless of what the structure is or the roof characteristics are, because they have their own gutter machine/truck and that's the only size it spits out. But then they stick undersized 2"x3" drop holes and downspouts on them. When they did our roof two years ago the contract did not specify size of gutters; it just said "free seamless" and so we assumed they'd be the 5" / 2"x3" combo like what came off. Simple roof and fairly low slope (it's marginal for rolled roofing vs shingles/extra ice shield actually.) So when I saw the 6" gutters installed I was surprised. But when I saw they'd stuck undersized downspouts on them, I objected. The roofer would not change them. Said "this size downspout is what we always install and it's fine." Well, it is not fine, it is wrong. Six inch gutters require 3" x 4" downspouts. Period. We began getting washouts in heavy rain where we never had before, because the extra collected water volume in the 6" gutter was being directed through a narrower opening, just like the "jet" setting on a hose nozzle. So I was wondering whether other customers have been similarly wrong-sized by them.

The decking question is because after we'd signed a contract for the roof replacement we were told that the decking needed to be replaced (via a few photos taken with one of the crew's cell phones while ripping the roof.) The decking replacement doubled the quoted cost of the job but we were over a barrel because of impending weather conditions. The increase put a huge dent in our remodeling budget. I thought at first that we were just unlucky, but about six months later a friend of ours, knowing that we'd used this company, called them for a roof replacement. Same scenario: Supposedly the entire rear decking of their roof was deteriorated and needed to be replaced, increasing their contract price by about two-thirds. Just last week I was talking to someone in my local library about remodeling and they told me the same story; turns out the company they'd used was D & S. They only bought their high-ranch three years ago and the home inspector's report mentioned nothing about a problem with the roof deck, at least not as he saw it from the attic. But the roofer's argument is that if the homeowner doesn't authorize/pay for new decking, the roof manufacturer's warranty will be invalid/useless. Catch-22.

Of course these three could all be coincidence but it got me wondering how many of their customers end up 'needing' large enough amounts of decking replaced (at $75 per sheet, plus labor) to blow up the cost of the roofing job. Hence my question.

The gutter thing was out of curiosity, because we ended up having the mismatched ones the roofer installed replaced by properly sized 5" gutters + 2"x3" downspouts (by someone else.) The bigger gutters started pulling away from the roof last winter too, from the extra weight of ice and snow in them. (Mounted with hangers, not spikes.) The old 5" gutters never had that problem and never caused washouts even in heavy rains. They also look better (in proportion) on our small house than the 6" ones did.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 08-19-2018 at 03:32 PM..

Old 08-19-2018, 03:32 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,965,037 times
I just had my $20k roof completed and they replaced absolutely zero decking boards. And that was based off of the original roof from 1991.

Old 08-19-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I just had my $20k roof completed and they replaced absolutely zero decking boards.
Same roofing company (D & S)?

Old 08-19-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Same roofing company (D & S)?
Nope, Safeguard.

Just sharing as a comparison. Company was awesome and was able to do the work in a day which is crazy considering the size of the roof. Very professional and no surprises.

Old 08-19-2018, 04:33 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,411,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
Nope, Safeguard.

Just sharing as a comparison. Company was awesome and was able to do the work in a day which is crazy considering the size of the roof. Very professional and no surprises.
20 Mexicans on a roof can do amazing things in one day.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
20 Mexicans on a roof can do amazing things in one day.
That’s very accurate

Old 08-19-2018, 06:06 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,892,142 times
If the roof slope is borderline flat roof than more than likely most of your sheathing was damaged. Many POS developments on LI even had 1/2” plywood used as roof sheathing?

Old 08-20-2018, 07:31 AM

412 posts, read 290,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
If the roof slope is borderline flat roof than more than likely most of your sheathing was damaged. Many POS developments on LI even had 1/2” plywood used as roof sheathing?
1/2" roof sheathing is pretty good by LI POS development standards. Try 3/8"on the roof. Do you believe that? Soon after buying my home, I realized the walls were 3/8". I figured the roof had to be 1/2" at least, though. Nope, 3/8". And the roof was replaced a year or two before I bought the home...old layers were stripped off but they kept the original 3/8" sheathing. Idiots. I guess the plan was to sell it soon. If I was doing it with the intent to stay, I would have redone the sheathing with 5/8".

I have a roof over my head...barely. But, I've heard this is common on Long Island in 1960s homes.

It could be worse....in other parts of the country you see OSB roof sheathing laid on 2x4 trusses spaced 24" on center.

When I built a shed, I used 1/2" plywood and all walls and roof were 16" on center The shed is better built than most LI homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: