Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 08:33 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,050,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Here's info on why the numbers range greatly: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/...tax-relief.htm

60% vs 7.5% is some kind of a difference. Why are they calculating it based on income when what you pay in property tax is not based on that at all?
I'm sure it's based on "perceived need". It's supposed to be a 'relief' check, as in 'mitigating hardship' and they feel (rightly, IMHO) that if you're making more than $200K a year you probably don't "need" much help paying your property taxes.

Of course there are mitigating circumstances from household to household (someone could be pulling down $300K but have ongoing financial obligations that eat up 2/3 of that) but if they're basing it on probable need it's as good a breakdown as any.

Personally I think there should be an additional lower category, for incomes of less than $50K and a 75% ratio. And that seniors should definitely get a higher ratio than 26%! Most seniors are relying only on Social Security for their entire income, and there's data to support that.

https://www.fool.com/retirement/2018...-security.aspx

"Almost a quarter of married couples and more than 40% of unmarried senior citizens rely on Social Security for fully 90% of their income in retirement."

When the average SS benefit amount is only $1368, that's less than $16,500 per year. So the relief check for seniors should either be divided by income (more or less than $40K, for example) with a higher percentage for the under $40K contingent, or raised across the board from 26% to 50%.

Just my 10 cents, lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 12:11 PM

376 posts, read 310,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Here's info on why the numbers range greatly: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/...tax-relief.htm

60% vs 7.5% is some kind of a difference. Why are they calculating it based on income when what you pay in property tax is not based on that at all?

Everything is based on income.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:57 PM

46 posts, read 31,089 times
I received mine today - glad to get that cash back in my pocket!

Old 10-24-2018, 07:01 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin Escobar View Post
I received mine today - glad to get that cash back in my pocket!
Why did it leave your pocket in the first place? Sounds like you got ripped off.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:03 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
and not even asking why they're even paying in the first place (you gotta pay to get the rebate, LoL)
Asking why? That ship has sailed long ago...

BTW, everyone should google your own districts' school budgets disclosure. The numbers for salary & benefits are eye-popping. Ours comes out to $110k per teacher for salary, PLUS another $120k per teacher for benefits. $80mil right there per year. No other line items even come close to these expenditures (no, not even the handful of superintendents or their support staff!). FTE = per full time employee

It's funny how everyone on local FB groups dance around this answer to why we're paying so much in school taxes alone. And the odd person will say just strike down the proposed budget. THAT will do little to nothing for the specific numbers I just referenced. I would find it amazing if anyone who hasn't/doesn't benefit from those numbers could honestly defend what they're getting.

You have the answer as to why we pay so much. Now give us the answer to how to strike it down legitimately & effectively. F greedy unions.

Last edited by ovi8; 10-25-2018 at 09:19 AM..

Old 10-26-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
This is not a LI thing, the entire state gets the check as long as you make under 500k.
You sure? I never got my check. I live in the city.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:54 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,330,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
You sure? I never got my check. I live in the city.
NYC may not get it. If you get a star credit or check you get this check. The entire state gets the star as long as you make under 500k.

Old 10-26-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
NYC may not get it. If you get a star credit or check you get this check. The entire state gets the star as long as you make under 500k.
I thought I get star. Maybe I should double check. Thanks.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:46 AM

46 posts, read 31,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
I thought I get star. Maybe I should double check. Thanks.
You don't know what you pay and what you don't? I hope you don't do the finances in your household!

Do you even know how STAR works? You have to manually apply for it, and don't just get it because you live here.

Last edited by Pumpkin Escobar; 10-27-2018 at 06:56 AM..

Old 10-27-2018, 06:58 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,050,518 times
Quote:
The entire state gets the star as long as you make under 500k.

Well, as long as it's the person's primary residence. According to the NYS website:

Eligible types of property:
  • houses, condominiums, cooperative apartments, manufactured homes, and farm houses
  • mixed-use properties, including apartment buildings (but only the owner-occupied portion)
Eligible homeowners:

Some factors that help determine whether a property is your primary residence include
  • voting,
  • vehicle registrations, and
  • length of time spent each year on the property.
The Tax Department may also request proof of residency.

Also if the property was bought after August 1, 2015, the owner has to register for the STAR credit; it's not automatic. If the paperwork wasn't submitted to NYS they won't be on the STAR 'rolls.'

ShirlMasticBeach, you can look up whether or not you received STAR in 2017 here:

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/credit-lookup.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island