Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 07:58 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purelygeneric View Post
Irving Street is OK - certainly not one of my favorites - but it still puts you into a great town.

As for the no-parking-overnight situation, it SOUNDS obnoxious, but is an amazing feature. Not only do the streets feel open and airy (like what you would find out of the metro area), but it is a security feature that keeps a lot of unsavory characters out of the town. The only way it doesn't work out is if you do not have a long driveway or are constantly having people with cars stay over.

The parking turned me off when we first started looking and quickly turned into one of my favorite features!
ITA, well said. Very big plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 08:54 AM

27 posts, read 46,359 times
Stay away from the Inc Village of Floral Park if you like your rights and freedoms and don't want to be tax gouged.

Purchased there two years ago and was immediately re-assessed at a much higher market rate for the house. Assessment is not an exact science but a full 36% over is not realistic.

Not to give exact numbers, but my house was $300K was assessed at $410. That is a big chunk of money when you look at the math. (Taxes for school 8K, village 4k, town 1.5k) Homes used as comps were all much larger, brick, slate roof mansions as compared to my little Dutch colonial which there are many many to compare with in the area.

Older village residents get big perks on village taxes paying almost nothing. I am surrounded by elderly and retired persons. Although they are nice people they left the tax bills to the young. Well they, "baby boomers", have made the rules to suit themselves.

When challenged the village simply shuts down blocking you at every turn. I can’t prove anything but, because I complained, my village tax bill was suddenly lost. I take responsibility because I should have known better, but they hit you with a 5% penalty for being 1 day late and would not accept the tax payment without the additional penalty.

This is their policy as the tax code does not prevent them from accepting the money to stop fines from accumulating. The word “should” is used in the code not “shall.” When challenged, they gave me the tax code. I looked at it, read it, and explained they were incorrect to the village treasurer. I was told, “I am not going to stand here and explain this to you anymore, just pay the bill." Hmmm....

On another note, I wanted to change a window on my house and in pretty much any other place this would not be an issue except for the Village DOB and Architectural Review board. They basically have drawn me through the ringer for a year about what I can and can't do to my home.

I am a professional and well versed in codes and standards, etc. I meet code requirements, I am not doing anything that others haven’t done, the change is fitting and proper, etc. So I spoke up to the board chairman who tells me, "You haven't lived here long enough to have an opinion." “I am here to protect the village from people like you.” Hmmm.... From those statements I can only conclude that most people in the village have lived there multi-generationally and suffer from sever inbreeding which has affected their thought process.

So it looks ok, schools are simply adequate, taxes are high, village is xenophobic and demanding. Homes are run down due to the village permitting issues making it too hard to do anything unless you are building a village mansion. If you can get past that, then great place.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:24 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
This is an old thread.

Sad to hear that, Lou. This is the kind of day-to-day crap that turns people against government.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:25 AM

626 posts, read 903,334 times
So, are you staying or moving?

Old 10-20-2011, 12:26 PM

147 posts, read 543,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy11bnl View Post
How amazing then that ALL of my mail is addressed and delivered to me as "Bellerose Terrace" and it has been for the past 30 years.
It's actually not that amazing. People make mistakes all the time writing the wrong town. Sometimes its because of what the previous owner told them when they bought the house or what the realtor told them the name of the town should be. As far as the post office is concerned they just look at the ZIPCODE.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:29 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou weegie B View Post
Purchased there two years ago and was immediately re-assessed at a much higher market rate for the house. Assessment is not an exact science but a full 36% over is not realistic.

Not to give exact numbers, but my house was $300K was assessed at $410. That is a big chunk of money when you look at the math. (Taxes for school 8K, village 4k, town 1.5k) Homes used as comps were all much larger, brick, slate roof mansions as compared to my little Dutch colonial which there are many many to compare with in the area.

Older village residents get big perks on village taxes paying almost nothing. building a village mansion. If you can get past that, then great place.
Could it possibly be that property is only reassessed after an ownership change?

Old 10-20-2011, 09:33 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhasset hills1 View Post
It's actually not that amazing. People make mistakes all the time writing the wrong town. Sometimes its because of what the previous owner told them when they bought the house or what the realtor told them the name of the town should be. As far as the post office is concerned they just look at the ZIPCODE.
It's been my experience that most real estate folks mistake the name of the community where a property is located with the community named in that place's mailing address.

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 3 may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:05 AM

27 posts, read 46,359 times
My plan was to stay in the area for a few years. I typically planed on a 7 to 10 yr stay. At this point I have to say I am leaving at my first opportunity to sell. I could suck up the village government and inforcement issues, but the tax burden is just too much to make it worth it.

People forget to factor that in to the price of a home. Part of the reason home prices go lower is that the monthly tax burden takes away from your purchasing power. That includes the school budget in these areas. My budget got an 8% increase this year which is insane. Salary and inflation growth is near zero, so at best it should be a 0-2% increase.

But, the people voted.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:45 AM

19 posts, read 13,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoia2 View Post
How true. I find empty beer bottles and empty drug bags thrown in front of my house all the time. Part of the problem is that alot of PARENTS in Floral Park have alcohol problems. Alot of parents are in strict denial about their kids problems and they have the "not-my-kid" attitude. Also,, I know so many parents in Floral Park that are always out working, trying to make ends meet, just one paycheck away from their house being foreclosed, that they have no time for their kids. Floral Park. at first glance is quiet and LOOKS nice with its manicured lawns, but behind every door is a story
Very true. I think it would be better if people drove smaller cars and had smaller houses and better quality of life--taking care of their families and kids. The parents spend all of their time working to pay for their bills. I know one resident who has EIGHT CREDIT CARDS. She has a great job but is clearly living beyond her means.

There is a huge liquor problem--I've lost count of the number of hard liquor bottles I see in the gutter. Sad, really.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:44 PM

172 posts, read 185,682 times
Default Floral Park Memorial High

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffali View Post
I lived in Floral Park a few years ago in the Floral Park School District. The elementary school's are pretty good but do yourself a favor before you buy a house there, drive by Floral Park Memorial High when the school is letting out you be able to see how the neighborhood has changed.

Query. Do you think that some kids are going there illegally from Queens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island