Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 08:31 AM

3 posts, read 8,624 times

Advertisements

I had a town of Brookhaven inspector come by my house, saying he is going to come in and investigate an an illegal pool.

I tell him bought an above ground pool last year, it isn't the kind that is there permanently, you take it down at the end of the summer, which is what I did.

He says I need to have a permit for that, big money for a big fine if I don't.

I told him he needs glasses, I don't know what he is talking about, you can see into my back yard and it is not there, there is nothing there. It is winter anyway, he must be crazy.

He got very angry and demanded to come in and inspect the house. I told him to take a hike.

He came back a week later with another inspector, saying that they have a report that I have an illegal tenant in my house, in the basement. I told him it is just me living here, my kid is long gone, I'm a widower and just me. Sometimes my kid comes by to visit, maybe a few times to year, but he isn't here for more than a few days.

They tell me that this is proof of illegal letting... again I say are you crazy? This can't be real - I can't have a visitor? Again - take a hike. This time they threatened me with big fines, they'll come back with a court order.

Anyway - do I need a permit for this temporary pool?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 09:18 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Technically an above ground temporary pool is not defined as a “structure” and a permit shouldn’t be needed. There are code requirements though - fencing or a pool alarm. And to be truly “temporary” the water would need to be removed after each use I think.

How big is the pool?

As to letting an inspector in, NEVER do so without a court order. Unless he has probable cause and proof why would a judge issue one? He’s probably bluffing. Did you tick off any neighbors recently?

Assuming you don’t have an illegal tenant you have nothing to fear. Guests don’t count. And certainly not relatives.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:35 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
Did this supposed Inspector show any identification proving that he's who he says he is? Did you take his name, and then go to the Town and ask whether they even have such a person working for them?

Old 02-06-2019, 11:29 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgomez View Post
He came back a week later with another inspector, saying that they have a report that I have an illegal tenant in my house, in the basement. I told him it is just me living here, my kid is long gone, I'm a widower and just me. Sometimes my kid comes by to visit, maybe a few times to year, but he isn't here for more than a few days.

They tell me that this is proof of illegal letting... again I say are you crazy? This can't be real - I can't have a visitor? Again - take a hike. This time they threatened me with big fines, they'll come back with a court order.
If this bozo does come back (which I doubt), before he even opens his mouth take out your phone and put it on Record, saying that since he has "threatened legal action, you have been advised by your lawyer to record all future interactions."

It doesn't matter if you don't really have a lawyer. He can't prove that a lawyer DIDN'T tell you that. And it is perfectly legal to record a conversation or an event as long as you tell the other person you are doing so.

I bet he turns around and walks back to his car without saying a word. And if I were you I'd follow him back to said car and take a photo of his license plate.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:52 AM

116 posts, read 171,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post

It doesn't matter if you don't really have a lawyer. He can't prove that a lawyer DIDN'T tell you that. And it is perfectly legal to record a conversation or an event as long as you tell the other person you are doing so.
Perfectly legal not to tell him you're recording as well. You're in NY, YOU know you're recording, and that's enough.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incivism View Post
Perfectly legal not to tell him you're recording as well. You're in NY, YOU know you're recording, and that's enough.
Thank goodness for one party recording in NY!

Old 02-06-2019, 01:36 PM

87 posts, read 99,226 times
If your talking about an Intex pool pretty sure you need a permit since they are deep and someone could drown.

I do find it strange they come months after summer and if they don’t see something not sure how they can even threaten you. I’ve never heard of getting a permit for something that you had.
Moving forward I wouldn’t put one up without a permit. Sounds like the inspectors are out for blood.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:44 AM

3 posts, read 8,624 times
Thanks for the advice.

They did show me id, but I didn't take down his name, I was preoccupied with something else at the time - these clowns came right in the middle of something important - but next time (if there is one) I will.

It is a little pool, it doesn't even have a filter.

My basement does have an external door, but they couldn't see that unless they were snooping around on my property without me knowing. I don't have a fence, but you would have to walk around to the back of the house, and you can't see it from the road. There is a big sump behind my house as well.

Again - they wouldn't know this unless they were snooping or my neighbors complained, but I'm on excellent terms with them. If anything I should be the guy complaining, the house on the left has had an illegal tenant for years now, but I don't care - no skin off my nose. They're not doing anything to me, I don't even notice.

Years ago I finished it because I used to work downstairs when I would work from home (I used to be in I.T.) and I frankly got tired of walking through the entire house. Put a bathroom in too. No... I didn't get permission from the town, but I wasn't planning on renting (or selling) so I didn't care.

Anyway, this run in with the TOwn of Brookhaven really annoys me. It has pushed me one step closer to just selling and moving south. Sky high taxes, bad weather, selfish people.

I'll come back if the inspectors have the nerve to come and try again.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:27 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgomez View Post
T
Again - they wouldn't know this unless they were snooping or my neighbors complained, but I'm on excellent terms with them. If anything I should be the guy complaining, the house on the left has had an illegal tenant for years now, but I don't care - no skin off my nose. .
The idiots probably went to the wrong house.

And if someone arrives at your house, a simple "I'm sorry I'm in the middle of something that can't be interrupted, please call me to make an appointment" is always sufficient, with the door then politely closed.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The idiots probably went to the wrong house.

And if someone arrives at your house, a simple "I'm sorry I'm in the middle of something that can't be interrupted, please call me to make an appointment" is always sufficient, with the door then politely closed.
Agreed. In fact, OP can tell them “you obviously have the wrong house, check around to see where there might be illegal tenants”. You don’t have to give them away, just get them fixated elsewhere.

OP, if you can get good money for your home and don’t have very strong family ties to LI I would definitely consider moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island