Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 07:13 AM

244 posts, read 669,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
I think it is fair to say that crime is an equal opportunity "county" offender. GPS break-ins and satellite radio thefts are up across the country. Suffolk is no worse than Nassau. They both have their share of bad areas and/or break-ins, as well as nice communities.
Agreed. Every Holiday season I hear of Garden city residents who are too tired after shopping to bring things in and leave their holiday presents in their car. The next morning all the presents are gone. Thieves know where and when to go shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 06:03 AM

131 posts, read 610,496 times
I spent Christmas at Disneyworld. While in South Florida (Ft Laud) we had our vehicle broken into. I am so paranoid about getting lost that I had BOTH of our garmin GPS units in the car. They took them both and damaged the lock, our truck door could not close. We saw the guys before we checked into the hotel and gave them the benefit of the doubt. They were caught on camera. They actually followed us in so they knew I had a GPS. Sucks but it is rampant now!

I had some old 1/4 inch plywood laying around, I shot about 150 very sharp staples through it. I now leave that on my seat, I hope someone jumps in again and has a seat. I also hope I don't forget!

Old 04-16-2008, 06:25 AM

575 posts, read 1,516,640 times
Regarding car brake-ins. There is a new trend that is developing in the Charlotte, NC area that may also be happening elsewhere but not sure. Thieves are breaking into cars parked at restaurants and malls and are finding any piece of info in your car that has your address on it. As you are shopping/eating they are going to your house with your garage remote and cleaning you out! Clean out your car and keep your garage door opener on your key chain.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:23 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,651,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimlessly Wandering View Post
I've had the same exact thing happen in Islip. Suffolk county is filled with criminals. I've moved into Nassau now.
Ooh, that's good! Everyone knows there's no crime in Nassau!

Old 04-16-2008, 07:43 AM
VTP

200 posts, read 957,906 times
Gym parking lots are notorious for break-ins. Thieves just sit in the lot and watch. Women often leave purses in their cars while they work out. I know two people who have been victimized in this fashion (at gym lots). In both cases, purses were taken, but of course the GPS units are hot commodities too.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:11 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,670,066 times
Never keep anything visible. I cannot believe how many people I know that leave their purses in their cars! Newsday has run a couple of articles lately about GPS thefts rising. It is a pain, but the units should be unplugged and stowed away when you leave the car, too easy to see and steal.

Hope that you don't end up having to pay too much out of pocket to have your car fixed. It's too bad this had to happen.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:17 AM

257 posts, read 1,335,808 times
My neighbor's rims got stolen a few months ago and the cop recommended two things:

1) get a wireless motion sensor alarm (Home Depot, 20 bucks) that you mount overlooking your car and then put the alarm in your office/bedroom/whatever.

2)if you have an older car you should make sure nothing valuable is inside and then just leave the doors unlocked. Beats having to pay for a broken window. That way theives will just comb through, look for something good and then leave when they don't find anything.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:46 AM

244 posts, read 669,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProvGuy View Post
My neighbor's rims got stolen a few months ago and the cop recommended two things:

1) get a wireless motion sensor alarm (Home Depot, 20 bucks) that you mount overlooking your car and then put the alarm in your office/bedroom/whatever.

2)if you have an older car you should make sure nothing valuable is inside and then just leave the doors unlocked. Beats having to pay for a broken window. That way theives will just comb through, look for something good and then leave when they don't find anything.
I never thought of leaving my older car unlocked. Thanks for the great idea! Now how in the world did the rims get stolen? They jacked up the car??

Old 04-16-2008, 05:49 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,149,944 times
years ago I had this happen in my driveway--car was stolen from port jefferson station (previosly lived there). When I made the claim I had receipts for my car stereo which they reimbursed me for as well as repairs after the car was found at Heckscher state park. Talk to your insurance company. As long as you have receipts for the GPS they might cover it and it wont effect the claim at all (cost to you).Also good move leaving the bayshore,brentwood area.Thats a step in the right direction. Unfortunately the neighborhood hasn't been good in years.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:40 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,658,168 times
Be happy that LI has some of the lowest crime in the country, especially relative to it's size. It sucks and it's crap when it happens at all, but there are a lot worse places. I just don't get how people act this way. Amazes me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island