Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 10:11 AM

730 posts, read 1,658,736 times

Advertisements

I've already bought a cable modem to save the $10.00 per month that Optimum charges to rent it.

Does anyone know if Optimum will sell cable boxes to save the monthly rental cost?

The Customer (lack of) Service department was unable to tell me if they do sell the boxes or what they cost if they do sell them, or even give me the phone # to one of their stores!

I've already reached out to FIOS but they could not match Optimum's pricing for compatible service.

I'm not trying to spark a Fios vs. Optimum debate, just trying to see if I can buy Optimum's cable boxes and what they cost.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 10:27 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
Look on EBay...

Old 04-15-2019, 10:28 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,051,383 times
I would be interested in the answer to this also.

Of course the Optimum rep would probably trot out the line of "if something goes wrong with your modem or cable box you are on your own" as far as replacing it.

My current modem from them is an Arris TM822 and the cable box is the Optimum-branded Samsung C-5320. The only non-Optimum source for either one (used) would be ebay, or Amazon (for the modem.)

Old 04-15-2019, 12:58 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,404,057 times
You can get these Optimum compatible modems from Bestbuy as well. The Optimum rep told me that over the phone. They were in the $150 range. If it were me I'd try to find a used one in good shape on ebay to save some money.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:21 PM

150 posts, read 110,347 times
I think the cheapest you can do is rent a cablecard for a generic dvr

https://www.optimum.net/pricing-packages

Old 04-15-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
You can get these Optimum compatible modems from Bestbuy as well. The Optimum rep told me that over the phone. They were in the $150 range. If it were me I'd try to find a used one in good shape on ebay to save some money.
I'm quoting myself here as I didn't read your post thuroughly regarding the purchase of a cable box OP, not the modem. But the answer is no. You can't buy one and use it to save money. They won't allow it. Neither does FiOS. That's how those effers make money off you.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:17 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,343,309 times
Quote:
I'm quoting myself here as I didn't read your post thuroughly regarding the purchase of a cable box OP, not the modem. But the answer is no. You can't buy one and use it to save money. They won't allow it. Neither does FiOS. That's how those effers make money off you.

Well technically you could. Nothing stopping you. However, should you have any technical issues, they will not help you until you buy their equipment. They will always always always blame the manufacturer of the third party you bought, even if you have video proof of the cable guy cutting your cable wire outside.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:25 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,826,920 times
Quote:
This is the opposite of what I was told by both. You can buy a modem as long as it's compatible (they gave me the min specs and a few product choices, mostly Arris modems and Asus routers) but as another said, they will not fix it and both may charge you for a tech visit if it turns out to be your equipment not working.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:48 PM

84 posts, read 147,725 times
Buy a Tivo Bolt with lifetime activation (about 400). Add Tivo minis to your other tv's(125 ea.). Eventually, you will save money. You will no longer be paying for DVR service, the DVR box, and any other boxes you currently rent.
You will pay 2? dollars a month for a multistream cable card. The Tivo Bolt will have 4 or more tuners, the tivo minis borrow a tuner when you use them.
The downside is you own the equipment so when it breaks it's your problem. Also, no access to on-demand services or PPV if you use them.
Most people are probably spending 50+ a month in box rentals with DVR service.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
This is the opposite of what I was told by both. You can buy a modem as long as it's compatible (they gave me the min specs and a few product choices, mostly Arris modems and Asus routers) but as another said, they will not fix it and both may charge you for a tech visit if it turns out to be your equipment not working.
The OP was inquiring about buying your own cable box and using it, not the modem. I've tried firesticks and Roku sticks but they're not the same as the box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island