Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2019, 10:25 AM

59 posts, read 60,832 times

Advertisements

I'm starting to get estimates for a new inground pool. Dunite quoted me $33k for a 18x36 (including diving board, pump, vacuum, automatic cleaner, plans and permits, drywell, electrical, plumbing). This is the first and only estimate ive gotten so far. I'm waiting for 4-5 more. Does this seem like a good price? Is 18x36 a good size? I have about 1/2 acre in my backyard so i can fit a pretty big pool back there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 10:46 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
I don't have a pool, but I will offer this from a friend that does. Analyze how you think you will use your yard in relation to the size of the pool. And how you think you and family and friends would use the pool. He has repeatedly said if he had it to do over again, he would have made the pool smaller. He forgot about all the associated crap that comes with a pool, like floats that blow up to the size of the empire state building, and pool toys galore, in addition to the actual pool supplies themselves.

Again, I know nothing about in ground pools, but he said the best thing he did was spring for the motorized cover. He heats the pool and covers it and the pool stays warm and debris free.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:19 AM

345 posts, read 338,839 times
debris and sunlight are two things you cant change with the pool, so think about that. where is the sun during the day? will you (or your spouse) be able to sit on a lounge chair in the afternoon and still be in the sun? What about the pool? its no fun when the whole thing is in shade at 3pm. have any trees around that will drop stuff into the pool? how much do you like them? because you won't when your skimmers are full and the bottom has rolled up caterpillar poops on it.

Old 05-28-2019, 12:25 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,077 times
I have an 18x36, was the right size for me and my yard. Have them come and draw the outline on the ground to give you an idea. I would also get more estimates, Spechtacular pools built mine and Swim King is another good company that friends have used.

Old 05-28-2019, 01:07 PM

5,521 posts, read 7,109,883 times
It's not just the size of the pool itself, you also have to take into consideration the pavers around the pool, the landscaping and fence. It can take up a big chunk of the yard. Don't install next to neighbor's trees either. They may give you a hard time about trimming branches like my DB neighbor.

Old 05-28-2019, 04:21 PM

1,466 posts, read 759,691 times
That’s actually seems to be a fair price from what I heard from friends who have had pools installed. . Just take into account as mentioned above the rest of the cost to finish if you go with pavers. It can add up very quick. What is the warranty like ?

Old 05-28-2019, 04:22 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times
That's a decent price.
Pools are like boats.
You can't wait to get one, then you can't wait to get rid of it. They're not for everyone.

Think really long and hard about all the fringe nonsense that comes with owning a pool.
The install, the backyard that will look like Beirut during and after construction, the upkeep and maintenance. Higher electric bills, heating expense should you heat the pool, property tax increase, etc...
And don't forget resale. Should you decide to sell, people either want a pool or they don't. Very few on the fence so it will limit your potential pool (pun intended) of buyers.

Old 05-28-2019, 04:51 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Nothing better than floating around on a 90 degree day! They are not for everyone but they def. are for me.

Op you got some great info above. I would also add...think about future expansions or sunrooms etc. a lot of people want the pool up close to the back of the house. Leave some breathing room imo.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:18 AM

84 posts, read 147,642 times
I would go longer. The shape also makes a big difference but I will assume a rectangle. You have a diving board so clearly, there is a deep end. The distance from the diving wall to the top of the sloping floor of the deep end must be a minimum of 27 feet. (Longer is safer but you can research that on your own). So that leaves you only 9 feet of shallow end floor. So, the longer the pool, the larger the shallow end will be. I would go minimum of 40 feet long if planning a diving end. L-shapes and such will have different results, but the deep end will never be smaller than 27 feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island