Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 10:27 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,409,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
This is why I said earlier it's the height of dumbness to post a divisive political sign in an ice cream store window.

The name "Trump" brings up a slew of negative emotions with more than half the population. This includes anger, sadness, contempt and extreme anxiety about the state of our elections. He's a deeply divisive figure and the emotions are strong.

How does a Trump mention make people feel good about overpaying for ice cream? The smart money encourages old timey feelings and good times. Not a reminder of someone who repulses them.

If you put aside your personal feelings, hopefully you'll see I'm right. People going out for ice cream want to forget about all that.
You might be surprised at how many closet trump supporters there are in the 3v area.

Old 02-04-2020, 10:38 AM

20,051 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
This is why I said earlier it's the height of dumbness to post a divisive political sign in an ice cream store window.

The name "Trump" brings up a slew of negative emotions with more than half the population. This includes anger, sadness, contempt and extreme anxiety about the state of our elections. He's a deeply divisive figure and the emotions are strong.

How does a Trump mention make people feel good about overpaying for ice cream? The smart money encourages old timey feelings and good times. Not a reminder of someone who repulses them.

If you put aside your personal feelings, hopefully you'll see I'm right. People going out for ice cream want to forget about all that.
I agree that it was a dumb thing to do.
I also believe people have the right(when not violating code) to free speech without the fear of backlash and repercussions. That's what this country was founded on.

In the old days, you just rolled your eyes or made a joke of something like this, or didn't really give a thought either way. Now we've been conditioned to draw that damn line.
You're blue, or red. With us, or against us.
Zero compromise or middle ground.

I have respect in one way, it takes balls to do something like this. I'm sure the owner was well aware that this could, and would, negatively affect business.

Old 02-04-2020, 10:54 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,520,593 times
Yes it would be nice if we could all just get along but most of the country does not support the president, and many loathe him and have been insulted by his words or affected by his actions.

Sure some people will just shrug at the sign and get ice cream, but you can't reasonably expect everyone to feel that way.

Old 02-04-2020, 10:56 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I agree that it was a dumb thing to do.
I also believe people have the right(when not violating code) to free speech without the fear of backlash and repercussions. That's what this country was founded on.

In the old days, you just rolled your eyes or made a joke of something like this, or didn't really give a thought either way. Now we've been conditioned to draw that damn line.
You're blue, or red. With us, or against us.
Zero compromise or middle ground.

I have respect in one way, it takes balls to do something like this. I'm sure the owner was well aware that this could, and would, negatively affect business.
They guy is being "in your face" to those who don't agree with him.

The backlash is completely justifiable. This isn't someone seeing him with a Trump bumper sticker, following him, then outing him on Twitter and seeing "this store owner is a Trump supporter, boycott him". That's the kind of stuff that is going on now that is unhealthy and bad. This guy is asking for it, and he's getting it.

Old 02-04-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
They guy is being "in your face" to those who don't agree with him.

The backlash is completely justifiable. This isn't someone seeing him with a Trump bumper sticker, following him, then outing him on Twitter and seeing "this store owner is a Trump supporter, boycott him". That's the kind of stuff that is going on now that is unhealthy and bad. This guy is asking for it, and he's getting it.
Right, this is exactly what he wanted. Victimization is a key tenant of trumpism

Old 02-04-2020, 11:09 AM

20,051 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Oh Jesus Christ forget it.
I'm done.

Old 02-04-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Oh Jesus Christ forget it.
I'm done.
Can I have the rest of your ice cream

Old 02-04-2020, 11:34 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,162,875 times
I guess we all find out come next November!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Yes it would be nice if we could all just get along but most of the country does not support the president, and many loathe him and have been insulted by his words or affected by his actions.

Sure some people will just shrug at the sign and get ice cream, but you can't reasonably expect everyone to feel that way.

Old 02-04-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
I guess we all find out come next November!
We found out November 16 as well when 3 million more voters chose his opponent. if he wins reelection , it will be solely by electoral college again.

Old 02-04-2020, 11:53 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
We found out November 16 as well when 3 million more voters chose his opponent. if he wins reelection , it will be solely by electoral college again.
I guess you can see the future. Wow neat trick!

And even if he does so what? We are a constitutional republic not a direct democracy. We never have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island