Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2020, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 5,189 times

Advertisements

I used the google and found no valid answers, only opinions:

Above ground, semi inground, inground: those are all terms ive seen for pools. Why? Is one assessed and the others not? I can not find any code that clearly states what the Town Of Oyster does with pools and taxes.

I am getting an 8 foot deep pool. My installer “thinks” that if 24” of the pool wall is above ground it is not considered an “inground” pool. While that’s a nice statement, it’s doesn’t answer: what’s the difference between pool types in the towns eyes?

Part 2 question is regarding decks: the town office told me that any deck under 8” or DETACHED does not require a permit. The code does not say “detached”, so what is correct? Would a 50 foot square DETACHED deck not require a permit? Would it be assessed for taxes if it’s detached ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2020, 01:11 PM

20,025 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Call the town. Don't rely on hearsay from a bunch of internet warriors.

Old 01-30-2020, 01:49 PM

2 posts, read 5,189 times
Did that, they didn’t know. They only said that all pools are the same as far as distance from fences and installation requirements. Above ground and inground are the same to them. It doesn’t answer the tax question.

Old 01-30-2020, 01:53 PM

20,025 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsAreBad View Post
Did that, they didn’t know. They only said that all pools are the same as far as distance from fences and installation requirements. Above ground and inground are the same to them. It doesn’t answer the tax question.
Wow. That's sad. Bet they'll have no problem picking your wallet when it's done though.
Then they'll know. Bastards.

Old 01-30-2020, 02:05 PM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,808 times
8’ deep semi unground? Never heard of that but I’d bet you’ll be taxed.

Old 02-06-2020, 04:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,501 times
I'm no expert or anything, but I remember looking into it and these came up specific to Oyster Bay (there's a lot of other regulations too but these were the initial ones that I found regarding your initial post)...after my own initial research, I made the decision to just go with a pool builder and let them handle everything town related.

SWIMMING POOL
A man-made body of water or receptacle for water having a depth of more than 18 inches and a water surface area of more than 100 square feet and/or an automatic water recirculation system, and constructed, installed or maintained in or above ground outside any building.

Swimming pools.
No property owner shall commence construction of any in-ground swimming pool or aboveground swimming pool with a capacity of over 5,000 gallons on any property before obtaining a permit from the Department of Planning and Development. Said permit application shall be accompanied by plans indicating the width, length and depth of such swimming pool. In addition, a survey of the property upon which the swimming pool is to be located shall be filed with the application, and said survey shall specifically indicate the location of the proposed swimming pool, including all related deck area, fencing, landscaping, lighting and mechanical equipment. The applicant may be required to furnish complete plans, data and specifications regarding the pool if necessary to enable the Department of Planning and Development to evaluate the structure.

You also have to consider NYS regulations too and as I think it was Uniform Code R326... so you have to lookup ANSI/NSPI-5 and ANSI/NSPI-4 for more detailed definitions that the town can bug you about...

SECTION R326.3 SWIMMING POOLS
R326.3.1In-ground pools. In-ground pools shall be designed and constructed in conformance with ANSI/NSPI-5.
R326.3.2Above-ground and on-ground pools. Above-ground and on-ground pools shall be designed and constructed in conformance with ANSI/NSPI-4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island