Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 03:53 AM

1 posts, read 15,492 times

Advertisements

My Great-grandmother Louisa Turtell lies buried in the hospital cemetery of Central Islip State Hospital, Islip Suffolk County NY.
I understand that this former psychiatric hospital is being re-developed but that the cemetery remains. Please could anyone tell me how to find it, if it is possible to visit and possible to find the grave. If not, maybe you know of a contact person who could give me any useful information.
Turtell, The Netherlands

Last edited by Bo; 02-07-2011 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: Moved from General US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2006, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 17,896 times
Default Central Islip State Hospital

Hi..That hospital closed many years ago and is now converted into a college.Many of those patients went to Pilgrim State Hospital when it closed. The cemetary has to be in the same place it was years ago. I would go to the area where the hospital was and go to one of the offices and I am sure they will know where it is. I am sure it is very close to where the College is now.............Colleen

Old 04-29-2006, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 15,488 times
Default central Islip State Hospital Cemetary

the hospital name was changed in the 1960s or so to Central Islip Psychiatric center. the cemetary is still there but the grounds are now owned by a college.
You should try contacting Pilgrim Psychiatric Center,
998 Crooked Hill Road
West Brentwood, New York 11717
phone (631) 761-3500
If you phone, ask the operator to connect you with someone who would know the answer to your questions about visiting and finding which may be your great-grandmothers grave. I do not know who has a map of the site. However there is a museum at Pilgrim Psychiatric Center which has many photographs, objects and things you may find interesting. It includes Central Islip artifacts. And maybe you will find a photo of your great-grandmother!

Old 08-15-2006, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 15,485 times
You may want to get permission from the police before you
visit. A few weekis ago I got a ticket for tresspassing
because I was researching some burials in the cemetery
I will look for any marker for your relative
email the details (full name, date of death...)
I'll see if I can find a marker

Last edited by Yac; 08-16-2006 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: mod cut

Old 07-05-2007, 11:12 PM

3 posts, read 40,166 times
Turtell,
I visited the area yesterday, July 5, 2007, and I had my camera with me.
If you reply, I will send you image files (photos).

The cemetery is still there, and much developement is happening near by.

The cemetery is secure, surrounded by 6 foot (2 meter) fencing.
It is very "overgrown by vegitation", and very unkept (no maintainance).
I did not enter, but I looked from all sides.

It is a square area of about 200 meters X 200 meters in size.
There may be one monument stone near the center (seen from a distance).
I've been told that the graves are marked with "numbers on the ground".

This LINK should give you an aerial view; you can ZOOM and PAN, too:

Map of [57-75] Carleton Ave Central Islip, NY by MapQuest

(Biggest link I have ever seen...)

If you reply, I will give you more details....

Regards,
JoeJuc

Last edited by JoeJuc; 07-05-2007 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: Repair link

Old 07-29-2007, 07:43 PM

2 posts, read 30,204 times
I am also looking for someone that may be in the Central Islip State Hospital Cemetery. She was last heard from in 1928 while on a ship from England to NY. She was deported from a mental ward in England. In March I found a name on the 1930 US Census for this hospital that mached along with age & sex. Since she was born in 1892 and was never heard from after 1928, she may have died at the hospital. Does any one have a suggestion???

Don from TX

Old 07-29-2007, 09:01 PM

3 posts, read 40,166 times
Don,

You should try contacting Pilgrim Psychiatric Center,
998 Crooked Hill Road
West Brentwood, New York 11717
phone (631) 761-3500

Ask them where you can gain access to the Islip cemetery's burial records.

There is also a museum of sorts at Pilgrim which has info about Islip.
It is on the 2nd floor of Building 45 on the Pilgrim campus.

This website also presents some historical information. There are additional links within it for more info.

Central Islip Psychiatric Center (http://www.lioddities.com/Asylums/CI/index.html - broken link)

Regards,
JoeJuc

Old 09-01-2007, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 15,061 times
I grew up on Pear street and rode my bike everyday in the hospital grounds. All our parents worked for the state. I just returned from a visit and wondered about the grave yard. I asked because we called it potters field as kids or thats what the adults said. It was split in half by a fence. One side was Jewish with a star of David on the black wrought iron fence. You would have to swing it open to get in and it was always shut when I found it so I left it that way every time but I was 10-18 when I went there. !980-1988. I made out with a boy there once. I dont remember a cross anywhere but I knew the other side was christian and it was a thinking place for me. Anyway, I wanted to track down the people there and I know more about the whole deal and the abandon buildings and other things.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:08 PM

2 posts, read 30,204 times
Default Central Islip State Hospital Cemetery

Hi Bev
Do you know how to access the cemetery records. I am searching for an Edna Gertrude Beasley born about 1892 in Texas and may have placed in the "Hospital" in 1928. We feel she probably died there, but no idea when.

Don

Old 02-10-2008, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 14,727 times
Red face central islip state hospital cemetery & records

My great grandmother's uncle's life partner or wife, Mathilda Massy was admitted to Central Islip in 1901 & died there in the mid 1930's I assume she must be buried there too. I have found her in the 1920 & 1930 censuses & also i have a copy of her death certificate showing that she died there also. I have 2 questions one does anyone know where the old records are we are looking for the intake records from around 1901 when she went there also if someone's reading this who goes to the cemetery there (I'd go but I live in Massachusetts) is it possible that someone could look for her marker. I have her death certificate with the exact date of death.

Thank you for any help someone can offer. If I can find the records & get copies I do have a psychatrist friend who will go over them for me.

sarahguest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island