Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2020, 10:00 AM

10 posts, read 6,008 times

Advertisements

My husband is a GC who primarily works in the city. I want to install full dormer and extend the home toward the front lawn. My attic (2nd floor) was converted to a living area with 2 bedrooms in 1990, however, due to the sloping roof, space is limited. I also want to add a full bath on the 2nd floor. My husband is asking that I find an architect who will draw out the blueprint and obtain permits on his behalf. I'm going to assume that he will need to subcontract out the electrical and plumbing component of the work to someone in the area. Regardless, I'm looking at a budget of around 200k. Will this budget be sufficient to have the work completed? Also, when a cape is dormered, will I have space to place in a full bath? I would like to move into an already renovated home, but I love my neighbors and have grown fond of the home. Thank you for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 10:47 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
I can't answer the bulk of your question, but you might want to see what the front setbacks requirements are to see if you have the room to push forward before hiring anyone.

I just read your other post and you mention the side as a possible extension so check the side and back setbacks while you are at it.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:12 AM

I checked the guidelines for TONH and it states that there should be at least 25 ft of distance in the front, which my home is...however, I have homes on the block that extends that boundary....2 houses down. Couldn't I bring my home to that point in theory?

Old 07-08-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyseuk10o4 View Post
I checked the guidelines for TONH and it states that there should be at least 25 ft of distance in the front, which my home is...however, I have homes on the block that extends that boundary....2 houses down. Couldn't I bring my home to that point in theory?
In theory, yes. In practice, you will need to apply for a variance and that is another charge similar to a permit application. You also need the building permit. If the variance is turned down then obviously you can't build what you plan to. Do you know how long ago they were done?

I use to live in the TNH and they were miserable to deal with.

I purchased my home in '97 with no problem, did an addition in '98 and submitted plans that were approved with no problem. In both cases the same survey was used, with an a/c unit noted. We applied for a fence in 2012 and were turned down because we had an unpermitted a/c. I had to apply for a permit and was turned down, because we encroached on a side setback. I had to apply for a variance. The variance was not a problem other than it held everything up. Thankfully the neighbors all agreed that to move the unit in order to comply would impact them and there was no problem where it currently was, which was on the side of my house nearest to the neighbor's garage. Variance in hand I resubmitted the permit application and was denied and I had to have an electrical inspection He said the box was outside box was rusted and I needed a different breaker in the panel to bring it up to current code. I had to pay for an electrical inspector to inspect the first time, then the work had to be done by a Nassau County electrician (best friend is a NYC electrician) and then reinspected at an additional cost by the electrical inspector. Then the TNH inspector came to inspect what the electrical inspector had signed off on including the before and after pictures.

Old 07-08-2020, 12:32 PM

So, I've submitted a survey to an architect ....looks like I have around 5 ft of leeway on the side setback...since the driveway is 10 ft (building code states that there should at least be 5 ft on each end). It also looks like the other houses on the block that exceeds the 25 ft minimum was built many, many years ago and you may be probably right that request for a variance may be denied in these days. I will see what the architect says. Thank you so much for your insight. Also, would you by any chance know of any reputable electricians and plumbers in the nassau area?

Old 07-08-2020, 02:30 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
For plumbers Cornetta Bros, hands down. Reasonable, knowledgeable, super nice guys and easy to work with. And they do great work.

Old 07-08-2020, 02:47 PM

I used Kostynick and Albertson Electric. Like I said they were miserable. In fact we were so disgusted that we skipped the fence after all and then decided to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island