Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2020, 07:09 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The Northeast "crushed" this by means of exposure of most of the population. I feel that virtually universal exposure everywhere will be what it takes, no matter what combination of lockdowns, reopening phases and social distancing are employed. All that is theater designed to make politicians look like they have this under control.
Wait what? You're the same guy who said you're pro-mask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
If you read more carefully you would see that I actually advocate wearing a mask when indoors, and when outdoors among people. I am not an expert and I err on the side of protecting others.

I also strongly suggest wearing a mask when rioting or looting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 07:49 AM

5,057 posts, read 3,957,808 times
We are finally (today!) entering Phase IV. PHASE 4 of reopening includes certain low-risk outdoor and indoor arts and entertainment: outdoor zoos, botanical gardens, museums, historical sites, aquariums as well as institutions of higher education such as universities and community colleges; TV, music and movie production and professional sports competition without fans. http://www.newsday.com/news/health/c...-19-1.46503969

As I recall, a total of 3 folks (unknown age and co-morbidities) have died in Nassau/Suffolk (2.9 total population BTW) in the last 5 days with Covid-19.

Should be great news for Stony Brook University (given the politics there is no doubt the academics will go overboard). As long as the kids do the mask/handwash/social distance and those vulnerable folks on campus are protected there should be no major issues.

Nice editorial in Newsday today on sending kids back to college - Covid-19 is NOT what parents should worry about killing their college kids: Between the beginning of February and the end of June, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 12,388 people in the United States between the ages of 15 and 24 died, of all causes. Only 142 of them, or just over 1%, died from the coronavirus.https://www.newsday.com/opinion/colu...rus-1.46502930

Old 07-08-2020, 10:14 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Maybe just maybe the smart governors taking their time opening up is because they watched what happened in states like Texas and Arizona that followed the failed Swedish model. Those states face another lock down for opening up too soon.

New York made great progress and went from a disaster zone to controlling the virus. I don't blame them for not wanting to give up that progress. Why go backwards because Trump only cares about re-election and nothing about human casualties?

Here in Illinois we are following that slow and steady reopening model. Our infection rate is below 3 now, unlike Arizona's nearly 25% infection rate. Which number would you rather live with?

It took New York a whole lot of work and sacrifice to get to where they are. Only a fool would blow it now. The same here in Illinois. We are not out of the woods yet, but on the right track to be.

Had states that had ample time followed these examples instead of the politics? We as a nation would have been in a lot better place. Stupid is as stupid does.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:08 AM

592 posts, read 919,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Maybe just maybe the smart governors taking their time opening up is because they watched what happened in states like Texas and Arizona that followed the failed Swedish model. Those states face another lock down for opening up too soon.

New York made great progress and went from a disaster zone to controlling the virus. I don't blame them for not wanting to give up that progress. Why go backwards because Trump only cares about re-election and nothing about human casualties?

Here in Illinois we are following that slow and steady reopening model. Our infection rate is below 3 now, unlike Arizona's nearly 25% infection rate. Which number would you rather live with?

It took New York a whole lot of work and sacrifice to get to where they are. Only a fool would blow it now. The same here in Illinois. We are not out of the woods yet, but on the right track to be.

Had states that had ample time followed these examples instead of the politics? We as a nation would have been in a lot better place. Stupid is as stupid does.
NY's sacrifice was an inept DOH who ordered infected patients into nursing homes (remember, the stated reason was to prevent 'discrimination' of virus patients vis a vis HIV).

Cases are up and deaths are down. In the long run, that's a good thing.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:28 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
I would take higher cases for lower deaths anytime!

We still got 2 more weeks to see how Texas pans out. As of now they have a .013 death rate per cases. Lower then NY had!!

Old 07-08-2020, 01:59 PM

7,934 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
I would take higher cases for lower deaths anytime!

We still got 2 more weeks to see how Texas pans out. As of now they have a .013 death rate per cases. Lower then NY had!!
NY still leads the nation by far in death rate.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...s-us-by-state/

Even now, we have a pretty high death to confirmed cases ratio per day. On July 7th we had 11 deaths with only 692 positive tests. While that number is not officially used, it does show our relative high number of deaths compared to our relatively small number of daily confirmed cases.

Old 07-08-2020, 02:38 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Quote:

I think you can consider all models failed. Or all successful.

Old 07-08-2020, 02:40 PM

5,057 posts, read 3,957,808 times
Quote:

Tell me the respective death numbers and I'll answer that.

Old 07-08-2020, 04:00 PM

226 posts, read 129,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
NY still leads the nation by far in death rate.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...s-us-by-state/

Even now, we have a pretty high death to confirmed cases ratio per day. On July 7th we had 11 deaths with only 692 positive tests. While that number is not officially used, it does show our relative high number of deaths compared to our relatively small number of daily confirmed cases.
That number isn't officially used because new daily deaths per new daily positive tests doesn't have any meaning. New daily deaths per population allows you compare death rates between states with different populations. New daily positive tests divided by new daily total tests allows you to rule out whether more cases is just because of more testing.

New daily deaths divided by new daily positive tests doesn't tell you anything.

Old 07-08-2020, 05:42 PM

592 posts, read 919,982 times
It's pretty obvious to everyone by now that NYS government did a colossal F up by sending seniors to their deaths with the nursing home mandate. Even Sweden who every negative nelly is criticizing nowadays because of their lax (in comparison) shut down order is nowhere near the death toll that NY suffered.

The difference is Sweden did not order infected nursing home patients into nursing homes because they did not want to
"discriminate" against infected patients (NYS government's stated reason).

Sweden Total Population: ~10 million
Sweden Total COVID deaths: 5,482

NYS Total Population: ~19 million
NYS Total COVID deaths: 32,219

Where is the outrage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island