Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 12:46 PM

151 posts, read 129,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
In the right school? How many of the schools are the "right" schools? If your kid can ace the specialized high school exams against those Asian whiz kids, maybe.
There's other schools aside from specialized schools. District 26 in eastern Queens, Townsend Harris High School, Academy of American Studies etc. Not everything in NYC is bad. Too many people on Long Island have the impression that just because something is in NYC, it is automatically bad. I know a few smart kids who did well in NYC public schools like the ones above who went on to private colleges and grad school who wouldn't be able to handle the social environment in a Long Island school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2020, 01:46 PM

121 posts, read 120,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olympicsos View Post
There's other schools aside from specialized schools. District 26 in eastern Queens, Townsend Harris High School, Academy of American Studies etc. Not everything in NYC is bad. Too many people on Long Island have the impression that just because something is in NYC, it is automatically bad. I know a few smart kids who did well in NYC public schools like the ones above who went on to private colleges and grad school who wouldn't be able to handle the social environment in a Long Island school.
Townsend Harris is amazing and consistently ranks higher than most (if not all) of the specialized schools and the LI schools. The only reason it is not considered one of the 'specialized schools' is that it doesn't require the SHSAT that the others do, but it is by no means a school accessible to just everyone.

The admissions rate is even more selective than Yale from a mathematical standpoint: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/10/n...ions-rate.html

Just an edit - I added this because THHS is my alma mater (as is District 26 - I grew up in Bayside), and I now have a 10 month old - while the NYC school system does have a few good schools left - they are far and few in between, and I can't guarantee my son will have the same grades I had since I don't know what kind of student he is right now. I figured it would be easier to move now than later.

Old 07-30-2020, 02:21 PM

7 posts, read 6,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
OP, given this information about Malverne Schools, I would say to still consider it. It does happen to have the blackest census recognized community(city, town or CDP) in NY State, which so happens to have a median household income of just under $140,000: https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...york/PST045219

https://www.google.com/maps/place/La...!4d-73.6529475

So, it is a solidly middle class community even by NYC standards.

This has a map of the district boundaries: Malverne Union Free School District - USA.comâ„¢

You can do the same for other districts for that source.

There's also this: https://www.liherald.com/stories/mal...-the-us,114997

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/malve...zCqg_gq1s3i8_Q

So, as you can see, this is district in an upward trajectory.

I have definitely noticed Malverne's trajectory moving up, it seems the teachers and new HS principal is very involved.
I believe in parenting having a huge impact along with the help and offerings of a school district working collaboratively.

Thank you for sending. I recently found a house in Lynbrook that was in the Malverne district.

Old 07-31-2020, 05:01 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Class size has nothing to do with parental involvement, nor does curriculum

I thought parental involvement was what we were originally discussing? Should I have to do extra work to go back and quote how this discussion even started? You know what, I'm in a good mood today:

So explain to me what class size and curriculum have to do with what you originally said?

Either way, if your kid has an IQ of 90, putting them in the best school district on Long Island won't raise it any higher
The issue at hand was parental involvement vs. Quality of education received at child's school.

Class size has an effect on the attention given to each student and the bigger the class size the less attention is given to each student. Extracurricular activities enhance he education experience for students. This includes tutoring outside of normal class hours if a student is behind in their learning. In addition, employers are not looking for just whiz kids, they're looking for well rounded students with outside interests. You don't measure a kids performance by IQ, pretty ridiculous statement. So do colleges and employers interview and admit based on an IQ score?

People buying in houses will have school districts and their reputation in mind. That is why there is more interest and bidding for homes in the very good SDs. No one will be moving to a average and subpar SD if they can afford it. They don't buy into the burbs to any old SD with the idea that parental involvement is the only factor in how their kids do in school. Any edge or perceived edge they can give their kids, they will do so.

Last edited by nyccs; 07-31-2020 at 05:13 AM..

Old 07-31-2020, 05:04 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olympicsos View Post
You named one of the top HS in all of the city. I'd say 80% of the NYC public schools are crap and depend on where you live and if you can do really well on a high schools admission exam unless Deblasio/Carranza carry on to do away with the exam altogether.

Old 07-31-2020, 06:08 AM

34,043 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
The issue at hand was parental involvement vs. Quality of education received at child's school.

Class size has an effect on the attention given to each student and the bigger the class size the less attention is given to each student. Extracurricular activities enhance he education experience for students. This includes tutoring outside of normal class hours if a student is behind in their learning. In addition, employers are not looking for just whiz kids, they're looking for well rounded students with outside interests. You don't measure a kids performance by IQ, pretty ridiculous statement. So do colleges and employers interview and admit based on an IQ score?

People buying in houses will have school districts and their reputation in mind. That is why there is more interest and bidding for homes in the very good SDs. No one will be moving to a average and subpar SD if they can afford it. They don't buy into the burbs to any old SD with the idea that parental involvement is the only factor in how their kids do in school. Any edge or perceived edge they can give their kids, they will do so.

To answer your original question, the answer is yes.

Quote:
You're telling me a NYC student and LI student will be equals if parent involvement is equal?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-31-2020, 07:43 AM

22 posts, read 43,789 times
I live in Merrick Woods and I find there to be a lack of diversity. I know of five black families in my kids school district. With more people moving from the city, I think the newer people coming in are more open minded. Your kids may encounter some casual racism along the way (in any South Shore town East of Merrick-Massapequa) but most people I know would be very accepting. I have heard that Lynbrook is very police centric and I don't know that I would move there in this climate if I were a black family. Good luck!

Old 07-31-2020, 10:27 AM

852 posts, read 1,442,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSureWhereToGo View Post
I have heard that Lynbrook is very police centric and I don't know that I would move there in this climate if I were a black family. Good luck!
Lynbrook is a village and has their own police force. That's a good thing for all its residents!
Please don't dissuade someone from considering a very nice place to live.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:04 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,889,141 times
Along with its own DPW, sanitation,etc. having its own police is good thing, if you can afford it.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:17 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSureWhereToGo View Post
I live in Merrick Woods and I find there to be a lack of diversity. I know of five black families in my kids school district. With more people moving from the city, I think the newer people coming in are more open minded. Your kids may encounter some casual racism along the way (in any South Shore town East of Merrick-Massapequa) but most people I know would be very accepting. I have heard that Lynbrook is very police centric and I don't know that I would move there in this climate if I were a black family. Good luck!
Merrick is def pretty white but I think as black family there, you shouldn’t have any issues. People are pretty accepting. Solid school district. They just got ranked @ the HS level as a ‘school of distinction’

Lynbrook would be fine as well. Prob a bit more diverse, as it’s closer to the city. They do have their own cops but I do not think as a black family, you’ll find it as an issue. In fact, I think a town having their own police force is an asset. I personally think NCPD does an amazing job but they patrol the whole county ... it’s comforting to have cops just dedicated to your area.

Good luck OP! I think you will be happy in either of those places. If you need city access for work or whatever, Lynbrook is so close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island