Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 02:21 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,168,126 times

Advertisements

Never heard of a mandatory egress a window in a non livable basement. Even a 1/2 finished basement did not require a egress window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2020, 04:17 PM

36 posts, read 23,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
IS there ANY OTHER WORK in the house that would flag the inspector? A deck, a bump out, even windows that are not currently legal size....

Markjames, the egress windows need to be in basement regardless of if there is "living space". My question would be why there are two. Lot of money to spend for something not required.

These people pulled a permit for this. I would question why they went through all these steps including the egress window and didn't close out the CO. That's fishy to me. I'm betting the building inspector came in and found some other stuff not up to code and the seller didn't want to deal with that - now it's going to become your problem.

I know for a fact that the fence does not have permit, I am not sure about other stuff like windows... it is a possibility!

now you guys mention about egress window. I recall seller mention they let their relative sleep there for a while until they moved out and turn it into entertainment room.

Old 09-24-2020, 05:06 PM

22,678 posts, read 36,831,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Never heard of a mandatory egress a window in a non livable basement. Even a 1/2 finished basement did not require a egress window.
OP you also need to know if the open permit is still good. In many jurisdictions the permit expires after a year and the town can make you reapply which also costs money. You're also talking about getting a permit for the fence, etc. And possibly fines for doing the work without one. That will ALL be your problem once you sign for this house.

I'm surprised a splanch needs an egress window for the level above the basement. That level is not completely below grade, is it? Been a long time since I've been in one.

Markjames, when we put ours in our house on LI it was not even in the living area ("living area") it was on the laundry room....which was unfinished. They passed it. I think the building department just wants it so no one can come back if there's a fire and say "you passed a finished basement and these people had no way to get out". That's why an outside entrance door does suffice as well.

Old 09-24-2020, 06:49 PM

13,058 posts, read 18,141,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
IS there ANY OTHER WORK in the house that would flag the inspector? A deck, a bump out, even windows that are not currently legal size....

Markjames, the egress windows need to be in basement regardless of if there is "living space". My question would be why there are two. Lot of money to spend for something not required.

These people pulled a permit for this. I would question why they went through all these steps including the egress window and didn't close out the CO. That's fishy to me. I'm betting the building inspector came in and found some other stuff not up to code and the seller didn't want to deal with that - now it's going to become your problem.
In TNH that was (past tense) not the case. It was only if it was set up as living space. Since I am no longer there it may have changed. Now, I happen to agree with your suspicion. I hope we are wrong.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:33 PM

22,678 posts, read 36,831,891 times
I meant a finished basement. Not any old basement. We were told "we don't care what you're using for - rec room, office, whatever, it's finished it needs an egress window".

Old 09-24-2020, 08:46 PM

29 posts, read 24,273 times
What's the issue with taking the discount and moving on with your lives.

Old 09-25-2020, 04:37 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,269,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAHM51 View Post
What's the issue with taking the discount and moving on with your lives.
Nothing, as long as someone checks the work and gives a thumbs up on it. A beam was removed after all.

Old 09-25-2020, 08:41 AM

1,110 posts, read 673,155 times
If homeowner does not have a structural engineer's certification that the beam removals and horizontal steel beam replacement are compliant, tread cautiously. A post construction engineer would run you 1,200 - 2,000 and there's no guarantee he/she would approve someone else's work. If structure is insufficient you'd bear the brunt of getting it right before obtaining a C/O.

Also a 5K credit does not protect you legally. 20K in escrow contingent on obtaining a C/O protects you both. If it only costs 5 to get the job done, owner gets his 15K back. Suggest contract closing be contingent on obtaining the C/O for maximum protection.

If the homeowner is hesitant to go into escrow with stipulations or close contingent on C/O, then they are more interested in protecting themselves than protecting the both of you equally. Keep looking.

Old 09-25-2020, 08:46 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,269,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Bubbleup View Post
If homeowner does not have a structural engineer's certification that the beam removals and horizontal steel beam replacement are compliant, tread cautiously. A post construction engineer would run you 1,200 - 2,000 and there's no guarantee he/she would approve someone else's work. If structure is insufficient you'd bear the brunt of getting it right before obtaining a C/O.

Also a 5K credit does not protect you legally. 20K in escrow contingent on obtaining a C/O protects you both. If it only costs 5 to get the job done, owner gets his 15K back. Suggest contract closing be contingent on obtaining the C/O for maximum protection.

If the homeowner is hesitant to go into escrow with stipulations or close contingent on C/O, then they are more interested in protecting themselves than protecting the both of you equally. Keep looking.
This is sound advice.

Old 09-25-2020, 12:21 PM

36 posts, read 23,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Bubbleup View Post

Thank you so much! does that mean if owner refused this I can back out of this deal and get my hard earn deposit back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island