Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 12:51 PM

551 posts, read 1,576,820 times

Advertisements

There ought to be a representation in the contract that all work was permitted and no outstanding permits. Assuming that is the case, the seller's choice is to provide an accommodation for you to waive compliance and close, or to remedy permits pre-closing, or to terminate and return the deposit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2020, 12:55 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,263,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
There ought to be a representation in the contract that all work was permitted and no outstanding permits. Assuming that is the case, the seller's choice is to provide an accommodation for you to waive compliance and close, or to remedy permits pre-closing, or to terminate and return the deposit.
And if there isn’t such representation I’d shoot the attorney for such an oversight.

Old 09-25-2020, 03:16 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexjin View Post
Thank you so much! does that mean if owner refused this I can back out of this deal and get my hard earn deposit back?

The answer to this question is found in your contract which no one here is privy to.

Old 09-25-2020, 06:33 PM

79 posts, read 60,902 times
I had this issue in Suffolk county. Egress Windows are required, and there is a minimum height requirement from the stairs to all finished spaces. (Finished means heated. If you have a baseboard, its a living space). How high is this metal beam? That second one screwed me... the header was a half inch too low and it was not cheap to mitigate.

The escrow solution is the proper way to handle it, but some sellers won’t bother. Especially in today’s market... everything is selling fast. As long as your lender will still underwrite the loan (which some will... probably not the big banks) then it’s only an issue when you go to sell the house.

Old 09-25-2020, 07:56 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,165,351 times
So you’re saying you can have a completely sheet rocked basement but with no heat and that would not be considered “finished”?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmunkz View Post
I had this issue in Suffolk county. Egress Windows are required, and there is a minimum height requirement from the stairs to all finished spaces. (Finished means heated. If you have a baseboard, its a living space). How high is this metal beam? That second one screwed me... the header was a half inch too low and it was not cheap to mitigate.

The escrow solution is the proper way to handle it, but some sellers won’t bother. Especially in today’s market... everything is selling fast. As long as your lender will still underwrite the loan (which some will... probably not the big banks) then it’s only an issue when you go to sell the house.

Old 09-25-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
So you’re saying you can have a completely sheet rocked basement but with no heat and that would not be considered “finished”?
That would be a great workaround...no heat when the inspector comes, and then have a couple of oil filled radiators the rest of the time. I suspect it won’t fly though.

Old 09-25-2020, 09:36 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
That would be a great workaround...no heat when the inspector comes, and then have a couple of oil filled radiators the rest of the time. I suspect it won’t fly though.
If you live in a house with big ole' steam pipes in the basement or a giant old furnace you won't need it. My house in GC didn't have heat in the basement and didn't need it because of the steam pipes. My house that i grew up in had a monstrous furnace and that basement was finished at all but we always played down there, all year long. But - even without heat down there we still needed it permitted. So I'm not sure that this little tidbit is entirely correct.

Old 09-26-2020, 06:09 AM

79 posts, read 60,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
I’m not sure if that’s the only requirement but it is the one that got me. The old owner had illegally finished part of the basement, then roughly unfinished it to sell it. The radiator pipes were still there and so it still counted as living space. Some of these rules seem quite wacky to me.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmunkz View Post
I’m not sure if that’s the only requirement but it is the one that got me. The old owner had illegally finished part of the basement, then roughly unfinished it to sell it. The radiator pipes were still there and so it still counted as living space. Some of these rules seem quite wacky to me.
Long Island rules. People have gotten crafty over the years which is why there are so many of them. Like the “keep one wall and it’s a renovation not new construction” rule for a long time.

Old 09-26-2020, 09:57 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
We had a fully finished 1/2 basement in our cape. Sheetrocked, lighting, wainscoting, bar, tv, wall to wall, & opened a duct from forced warm air duct for heat. The other side was a work shop for me and the laundry, the joke was the unfinished side was mine and the finished side was his. It was sheet rocked, "heated" and had lighting when we bought it and a tile floor glued to the concrete, most probably from the 50's. We did all the upgrades.

We did not have any egress windows and we had numerous inspections all of which required changes to the electrical panel so they inspected the panel on the unfinished side. They had to access that side by the stairs which were on the finished side.

We never were questioned and back then we were told it was because it could not be considered as livable if there was not bathroom or kitchen. In fact, after we got the COC, a neighbor had an inspection for work done and I asked the inspector what was considered livable space in terms of egress windows. He said a kitchen and a bath, but the real key is a bathroom because these days (back in the late 90's) a "kitchen' could simply be a microwave, but in the absence of a bathroom it was not considered livable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island